Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NAPPA?AUTOZONE?PARTS.....
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: NAPPA?AUTOZONE?PARTS..... Reply with quote

NEED YOUR OPINION AS TO WHO I SHOULD BUY WHAT FROM. AM IN NEED OF BRAKE PARTS, VALVE COVER GASKETS, WHEEL BEARINGS, ETC. WHO WOULD YOU RECOMMEND I PURCHASE FROM OTHER THAN BUS DEPOT. WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE LOCAL BUT WANT THE BEST QUALITY FOR THE BUCK.......ANY RECOMMENDATIONS APPRECIATED........
USMCbug
Samba Yoda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For items that can be procured locally, i go to advanced. The prices are usually better.
65 Split Window Bus
79 Baywindow Bus
71 Super Beetle (current)

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any parts you would not buy from the FLAPS,plug wires,wheel bearings and seals,brake pads & shoes,wheel cylinder?
USMCbug
Samba Yoda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a gamble with things like brake cylinders and such. I had a good friend who worked at advance and he sold me a master cylinder. He kinda warned me as they rebuild them at some remote locale and they dont always do a good job. He said he wouldnt buy anything that is rebuilt from there. Now other things, like, spark plugs, bearings, brake shoes I would buy. But nothing that has a core charge. Go to the bus depot.
65 Split Window Bus
79 Baywindow Bus
71 Super Beetle (current)

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
regalasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only parts I would buy from a FLAPS is oil and spark plugs. All else is dicey. As a young man, I bought all my parts for my VWs from the FLAPS. After much frustration, I learned my lesson and only buy electrical and mechanical components from aircooled VW parts vendors. Cheaper in the long run.

But I also know you gotta do what you gotta do. If you do get your parts from the FLAPS, change out each component one at a time. Then run the bus and see if the part functions. Of course, if you break down later, that will not help much. Just my opinion and experience.
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEVER EVER buy wheel bearings from a FLAPS. Most buy their parts in bULK and since most bearing manufacturers have moved their factories to India, the market is being flooded by cheap imitation bearings that are pirated. ALWAYS check your bearings for the STAMP Made in Germany. If they say Made in India, there is a 75% chance they are crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchase from the following:
Busdepot
Bus Boys Inc.
Wolfsburg West
West Coast Metrics
Go Westy
German Supply
if you want good service and good prices for the real deal parts. Just my 2¢ for ya! Wink
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that NAPA parts are better than Advancezone. I've never had to return anything from them. They are also slightly more expensive. Of course, I may be a bit biased because the NAPA in my old home town (Kord's NAPA in Ajo, AZ) was owned by a former VW buggy racer who loved any aircooled and could spout critical measurements off the top of his head.

That being said, I always spend my money with list vendors, unless I absolutely cannot wait. To aid in that, I keep spares of all the stuff that usually fails. For instance, I recently had an alt pulley problem and had to use both of my two spares. I have no idea how many belts I have, but I'm sure at least half a dozen. Having lotsa spares (alternator, dizzy, coil, etc.) also means I can usually deal with most roadside "incidents." It's not an emergency if it only takes you an extra hour to get home.

NAPA/Autovance will stop carrying VW parts once the demand falls to a certain level. If we don't keep our VW bus vendors in business, we won't have parts, plain and simple.

I would add Ronnie's Old Volks home in Havasu, AZ. He's been nothing but great to me.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Jtast17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far my rule of thumb is that if I have to buy from somewhere other than a VW specific store....quickly and locally...I'll go to NAPA or an "Auto-Value" chain. Mainly because they have access (as does autozone...not sure about advance, pep boys, etc.) to Beck Arnley where you can get could European made parts IMO (wheel bearings, drums, pads, etc...). However, knowing when these things are likely to occur I've kinda just made a list in my head and order from a VW specific store online. Usually its cheaper and almost as quick (as if they don't have it in stock in generally takes 2-5 days to get it in and the flaps will charge you shipping too). I stay away from NAPA, Autozone, etc. for electrical ignition parts as my Tach-Dwell meter will happily tell you especially when it comes to Wells points, condensers, rotors and caps... I could never get a good dwell with Wells ignition tune ups and as soon as I ordered BOSCH, excellent readings! Also, valve cover gaskets...i had a run around with this a couple months ago. Stay away from the FLAPS versions...that includes Beck-Arnley...they are the rubber/cork composite and I couldn't get two sets to seal completely...once again...ordered the originals...sealed up perfect! (had tried everything with the others too...vw symbol upside down, re cleaning, light abrasive, etc. etc.)

Just my take...usually i can count on them for quick things though like wheel cylinders pads and shoes!

Joe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Arnley is not as European as you might think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often they will hook you up with a type I part. Every vw is a super beetle it seems. Even some parts at vw shops are suspect now, especially body pieces. Poor quality. I would buy from the recommended sources above.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright now everyone, thanks for the input.I have got most of my parts from Bus Depot at better prices than the FLAPS I might add,but when I read a recent post that someone bought a axel shaft for $75.00 from autozone I ask myself why I wrestled with the new cv boots and wondered if I was missing out.I'm just too cheap to pay that shipping.I will get over it and buy the best I can find.This Bus deserves the best for all the pleasure it has brought to my life.I only wish I had met this Bus 20 years ago
sweetbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sagebus wrote:
Allright now everyone, thanks for the input.I have got most of my parts from Bus Depot at better prices than the FLAPS I might add,but when I read a recent post that someone bought a axel shaft for $75.00 from autozone I ask myself why I wrestled with the new cv boots and wondered if I was missing out.I'm just too cheap to pay that shipping.I will get over it and buy the best I can find.This Bus deserves the best for all the pleasure it has brought to my life.I only wish I had met this Bus 20 years ago

I have pickup a few cv 's from autozone, Its great lifetime warr. Any bus I get that has a bad axle I just go there and tell them its from the 74 i got 5yrs ago and they give me a new one, They are all rebuilt but for a onetime price and the rest are free Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would never buy brake parts (other than their bendix pads) from advance... i already made that mistake a couple of times... one master cylinder lasted on the rabbit about a year... then i got a master cyl for my bug... first one was bad out of the box... as was the second one... so i returned it and will NEVER buy a master cylinder from them again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have time I try to buy european made parts from Bus Depot, or Bus-Boys. If I need it quick I try NAPA or my local VW place (they carry like TRW quailty). I go to Autozone/chain retailers for all my carb cleaner, and "fuzzy dice" needs. I have replaced Autozone quality parts in two or three years of being "new". Yes they do offer a lifetime warrenty but it's a sales gimmick, they know they are going to sell far more with the guarentee then they will ever have to honor. I will pay more to keep something fixed, I really hate changing major stuff out every few years. Sadly I'm finding quality, even in the old trusted brands, is becoming a crap shoot.
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In desperate times I will go to a FLAPS for a starter. BUT I know they will only last a year at most.
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have yet to replace a starter or alternator under warranty from a FLAPS (goin on 5 years on one of the starters)... but i do like that autozone has a lifetime warranty on bosch spark plug wires... worth paying the $25 the first time to have them replaced free every year!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wouldn't buy parts from FLAPS like bearings and some brake components without finding who they were manuactured by. I spent the extra for German master cylinders, rotors, wheel cylinders, etc.

You won't find a lot of specialty stuff for VDubs at NAPA, etc ....

My preferred venders:

Germansupply.com I bought the majority of my brake parts from them, all german of proven top quality suppliers.

CIP1 ( IF you are careful and ask quesitons about the source of their parts, they will gladly tell you )

NAPA, their brake drums were so cheap but yet American made I couldn't pass them up. They were clean and true.

The nice part about someone like Scott at germansupply is that they drive their busses daily and only put on what they feel is a good quality part, if it sucked for them, they'll stop selling or warn you ahead of time of the issues ...... so you may pay a little more for a quality part but you also get a personal touch and advice, try getting that from some gearhead who only knows Chevy .......

I imagine that expertise can be found at Busdepot, etc too .....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: