Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn button wiring?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Horn button wiring? Reply with quote

Now how does this wire up again?
I have one wire coming up the steering column and I've connected that to the underside of the horn button with that little screw.
Where does that wire go and what else needs to be done?
Right now I have a a button on the dash that activates the horn.

Thanks for your help,
ghiafreek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on what year you are working on. This link spells it all out for every year.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_12_00/wired_12_00.htm

Hope this helps
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a '65 bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horn wire goes straight from the horn button to the horn (or vice versa). It's a ground wire.

Live power goes to the other terminal on the horn.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DINK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wire just "fell out" of my horn button today. I swear. How does it fasten in there? Worked fine before. Crying or Very sad
60/15windows
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look real close you will see a tiny grub screw that holds it in there.
1962. 356 BT6
6D2
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine works one time every once in a while... it will let out a short burst and thats it... no loose wires just wacky....
The SBS #62

Red Hot Ad Specialties & Stuff...
Shirts and hoodies for shows or clubs.. we ship world wide...
www.pottymouthpromos.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6D2 wrote:
mine works one time every once in a while... it will let out a short burst and thats it... no loose wires just wacky....

Grease the connections with dielectric grease and grease where the horn push grounds out against the steering wheel. Make sure there ain't too much dirt inside the horn push.
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6D2 wrote:

Sounds like the vibrator in the horn itself is getting stuck. Take the horn apart and clean it up. Easy to do and it will probably work for another 40 years. Wink
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does the actual hot wire for the horn come down from? I think mine came apart some time ago and I'd like to get it working again. And yes, I know I can run a hot wire down from just about anywhere, I'm just wondering about the "factory" answer. Smile

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun wrote:
6D2 wrote:

Sounds like the vibrator in the horn itself is getting stuck. Take the horn apart and clean it up. Easy to do and it will probably work for another 40 years. Wink

True that! Unless it is one of them sealed newer units. I got me an old, bolted together horn for $5, ages ago. Didn't work, took it apart, cleaned up the contact points, and it's been working since! Razz

NorCalRiviera wrote:
Where does the actual hot wire for the horn come down from? I think mine came apart some time ago and I'd like to get it working again. And yes, I know I can run a hot wire down from just about anywhere, I'm just wondering about the "factory" answer. Smile

-Taylor

Check your proper wiring diagram, available from type2.com(?), to see the color code of the wire that comes off the loom. As EB points out, that would be the "live" wire, with the "grounding" wire completing the loop at the horn button. Wink

BTW, this wire comes down there along with the brake light sending unit ones. Cool
6D2
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun wrote:
6D2 wrote:

I'll pull it off tonight if it is not raining. and try and clean it out... it would be nice to have working. I have everything else working as of right now... thanks for the tip..
The SBS #62

www.pottymouthpromos.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timmaah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6D2 wrote:
dstefun wrote:
6D2 wrote:

I'll pull it off tonight if it is not raining. and try and clean it out... it would be nice to have working. I have everything else working as of right now... thanks for the tip..

and something i learned when trying to get mine to work... it has to be sitting sideways... not laying flat down to work... atleast mine did... it drove me made trying to figure what was wrong and the second i turned it on its side.. it started going off like mad...
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:

Check your proper wiring diagram, available from type2.com(?)

Type2.com does provide a link to the vintagebus.com diagrams, but wiring diagrams are also available right here on theSamba... thanks Everett!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

and direct from vintagebus.com .... thanks Thom!
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html

In Taylor's case (and for all splits 62 & later), the horn wire is a 1.0 mm2 (#16) black/yellow wire off the bottom of the #8 fuse. 56-61 bus horns connect to the bottom of the #1 fuse.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

Check your proper wiring diagram, available from type2.com(?)

Type2.com does provide a link to the vintagebus.com diagrams, but wiring diagrams are also available right here on theSamba... thanks Everett!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

and direct from vintagebus.com .... thanks Thom!
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html

In Taylor's case (and for all splits 62 & later), the horn wire is a 1.0 mm2 (#16) black/yellow wire off the bottom of the #8 fuse. 56-61 bus horns connect to the bottom of the #1 fuse.

Thanks dstefun! With all that homework done, these guys should be "horning" soon! Laughing
davebuckholts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two 6V horns wired to 12V............you hear me now????!!!!!
I solder the tip of the wire where the grub screw connection is to give the screw something a little more solid to grab.
6D2
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok pulled the horn tonight and took it apart... everything is clean and I think I put it back together correctly. I hear the contacts close when I push the hornbutton but it just makes a sound like I am dropping marbels in a tin can... maybe I reversed something when I took it apart? I saw an adjustment screw on the back that touches a bent peice of metal coming off the 12v side. any help would be great thanks... is there a tutorial on rebuilding or fixing a horn?
The SBS #62

www.pottymouthpromos.com
6D2
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the horn apart again.. made sure everything was tight and dry... still all I get is the cluck when I hit the button. I know how the horn wires up... but how does it make the noise? what part causes the noise itself? Im sure it is but is it possible for the hore to just be plan old burned up? thanks again
The SBS #62

www.pottymouthpromos.com
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the steering box out of the 67 today to clean it and noticed that the insulation is cracked on the horn wire where it exits the box. I'd like to replace that wire and I don't have access to my Bentley as it is in the bus, and the bus is up on a lift at my friend's house. I haven't taken the box apart and I don't want to only has 58k on it and is nice and tight--just clean, paint, adjust, re-lube and replace the wire. What is involved in replacing the horn wire?

Thanks all!
Kelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the old wire still in the steeringbox?

either way, you just run a wire through the steeringbox up to the steeringwheel. If the old wire is still in the shaft, splice the new wire to the old and pull the new wire up through the shaft, then cut the splice off. Another way is to use .32 safety wire (or similar) and run it down the shaft and attach the wire to the wire and pull it up through the shaft. No need to take the box apart.

easy money.

Eriba Puck Sticky
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: