Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Car And New to Samba
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
twintownterror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: New Car And New to Samba Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I recently bought this car from Streetside Classics in Fort Worth, TX and was wondering if the previous owner, or anyone else with knowledge of the car is on here. I’m new to bug ownership. I’ve always wanted one and finally got one. I would love to learn more about it. I was told it is a 1641cc but not much more about the engine. I’m about to do my first valve adjustment and don’t know if it has aluminum or chromoly push rods so I lash it correctly. I have some other questions but this is the most immediate.

Thanks in advance.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Car And New to Samba Reply with quote

Nice 67.

Use a magnet to tell if the pushrods are steel or aluminum. Just test the tube, not the tip.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twintownterror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Car And New to Samba Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Nice 67.

Use a magnet to tell if the pushrods are steel or aluminum. Just test the tube, not the tip.

Thanks! Love it so far. I wasn’t sure if I would get a false ‘stick’ because of the steel tip. So I should pull one out and test in the center… didn’t even think of that. Rolling Eyes
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Car And New to Samba Reply with quote

Beautiful!
It'll probably run better with a stock distributor with vacuum advance. The mechanical is known for a flat spot on initial acceleration. But with your non-stock carb this may not work. Smarter heads can advise.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
twintownterror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Car And New to Samba Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Besutiful!
It'll probably run better with a stock distributor with vacuum advance. The
mechanical is known for a flat spot on initial acceleration. But with your non-stock carb this may not work. Smarter heads can advise.

I’ll look into it. It seems to run fine to me… I drove it back from TX to MN. Points needed adjusting in Iowa but other than that no issues. Put a Pertronix in it when we got home. I wish I knew more about the build. Can’t wait to learn about these in here!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Car And New to Samba Reply with quote

It looks like there's an uncapped vacuum port on your carb, lower-right side. It may not be doing anything and be blind, but if it's open it could equate to a vacuum leak. I think that may be the port that gets used when a DVDA distributor is used.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Car And New to Samba Reply with quote

twintownterror wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Nice 67.

Thanks! Love it so far. I wasn’t sure if I would get a false ‘stick’ because of the steel tip. So I should pull one out and test in the center… didn’t even think of that. Rolling Eyes

Not sure if you have adjusted the valve lash yet.
But, you don't need to remove the push rod to test if it's magnetic. Use a small diameter magnet and see if it sticks to the PR about a 1/4" away from the end.

Usually cheap chromoly PR's are black, while aluminum are grey.

Pretty car BTW.
But them I'm partial to ZenithBlau 67's.

Mine after I won it back from the insurance auction. Surprised

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
twintownterror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Car And New to Samba Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
It looks like there's an uncapped vacuum port on your carb, lower-right side. It may not be doing anything and be blind, but if it's open it could equate to a vacuum leak. I think that may be the port that gets used when a DVDA distributor is used.

I looked into that myself. It is blind.
twintownterror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Car And New to Samba Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
twintownterror wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Nice 67.

Not sure if you have adjusted the valve lash yet.
But, you don't need to remove the push rod to test if it's magnetic. Use a small diameter magnet and see if it sticks to the PR about a 1/4" away from the end.

Usually cheap chromoly PR's are black, while aluminum are grey.

Pretty car BTW.
But them I'm partial to ZenithBlau 67's.

Mine after I won it back from the insurance auction. Surprised

I did adjust them. They are aluminum. Thank you! Glad to see you got yours back!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Car And New to Samba Reply with quote

Looks great-more photos please!

Yes, look into getting a stock distributor Contact this person - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=wcfvw69

You will need to know what carb you have and what camshaft etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: