Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sam Thomas / Franklin,Ohio WTF??
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Sam Thomas / Franklin,Ohio WTF?? Reply with quote

I responded to his want ad for a front pan framehead section. He needed it cut off at certain points and then needed to know how much for shipping. We talked on the phone, told him I'd cut and box it up, get him the shipping costs. Now, days later, he doesn't reply and I'm stuck with "his" cut hunk of metal. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All week now, and no reply from Sam! Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam thomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: MARK EVANS/CHILOQUIN,ORGEON WTF??? Reply with quote

Mark Evans responded to my ad for a front pan framehead section. He gave me a price on the framehead and said he would get me a shipping quote. If the price on the framehead was correct, then the shipping was way too high. I talked to him on the phone, and he said $30 on the framehead and shipping would have been $45. This was way too much. I am not going to roll over and have someone screw me on shipping. I never told him to cut the part. I never told him I wanted the part for sure or not. He took it upon himself to cut the part. So he is NOT stuck with my "CUT HUNK OF METAL".
YellowSplittie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Mark supposed to know how much shipping is unless he weighs the cut part? $75 for a framehead delivered sounds VERY reasonable to me.
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If shipping is a problem. Then Mark can send it to you C.O.D. via greyhound or DHL just pay him for the part and have him ship it to you. There problem solved and Mark get's his money and you can't complain about getting ripped off on shipping cost. Laughing Laughing
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
59 renault dauphine (work in progress)
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam still has not replied to my emails. As "yellowsplittie" commented, how can I get a shipping quote while it's still connected? Sam agreed on the $30 price, not my fault about the shipping costs. Also, I don't feel they are out of line.
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am i to assume the pan was junk to have made it worth your while to cut it up in the first place? Even so you dont do something like cut a piece so its specific to one customer without taking his money, if he is not commiting to the purchase because there is no delivery costs known then back out.

Arnie

56' Oval
71' Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEFORE the part was cut, Sam agreed to the price, and in fact repeated the price because he thought it was so good. How else do you then go on to get a shipping quote? Would you send forward money for a deal with an unknown agreement at the end? It's not like I am way out of line here for the shipping!
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YellowSplittie wrote:
How is Mark supposed to know how much shipping is unless he weighs the cut part? $75 for a framehead delivered sounds VERY reasonable to me.
I agree 100%
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To agree a price of a part is one thing, but to have no money in hand is another. Your the seller its up to you to do it on your terms, if you have no way of finding out the price to ship then you have to say so and stop the transaction there and then, and sell such a part to someone who can collect. Even so you need a non returnable deposit or full payment as they have to appreciate once its cut its only good for one specific customer.

I agree the cost is probably reasonable and the guy should go for it, but you cut it on without any monies changing hands and let the potential buyer dictate the transaction, only for him to back out as he has the right to do as he has not paid anything towards it.

As frustrating as it is to be in that situation, no one's word can be taken as an agreement to go through with a transaction. Of course he's willing for you to cut it off and get it weighed, because its at no risk to him, and how is he suposed to make a dicision with un know costs of shipping either? I'm afraid it was the sort of transaction that should never have been entered into, as the risk was all with you.

Arnie

56' Oval
71' Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
YellowSplittie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Thomas - what would be a reasonable shipping amount for you? Would you have felt better if the part was $45 and shipping was only $30? Large, heavy items are costly to ship. You won't find it any other way. Not unless you are willing to drive for the part and then you'd spend the gas money.

Again, $75 is a good price. You only screwed yourself.
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark I do shipping for a living I run an aircraft parts shipping dept there are some ways to lower the price possibly
1) when you found the cost of shipping did they measure the box?
2) if the pan head is some what clean no grease you may not need to box the item
PM me I may be able to help resolve this so the part dosent end up in the scrap heap somewhere

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping quote was through Greyhound. The part weighs over 40 lbs., not to worry, someone else may end up with it. If someone runs a "parts wanted" ad, you would think they need it? At this point, I don't think I would LET him buy it now.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the seller is in oregon- the buyer in oh. shipping sounds cheap to me (btw. i'm in indianapolis) and have shipped spindles to oregon (just spindles) and those have run $25.00. how much is right for shipping in your mind thomas- eps. for a framehead. maybe you should try to find a decent one in ohio- Rolling Eyes i know of a place that as quite a few beetles lying around...but it's probably more effort then your willing to exert to go get one.
tstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Sam Thomas Reply with quote

Sam Thomas in Franklin Oh is a joke he told my friend he would build his 1915 took it apart a week later said take your junk and go home. He is all talk buyer seller be very real careful. Ill thru This in Sam if the lowest frame head in mid america is 34.99 plus tax plus shipping and the highest is 299.00 plus tax plus shipping did you think he should give it to you. I shipped 2 window regulators to a guy on his word thats the air cooled world. Not the Sam Thomas world I will not stop till no one deals with YOU. Best of luck ****
typesoneandtwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shipping cost quoted was entirely reasonable and I think Sam is out of line here. It's totally not practical to try to ship it without a box, as suggested. That would anger the handlers to the point of encouraging damage to the item.
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this also recently...

Samba member needed an early framehead, I had one. Told him he only needed to cover shipping costs, and tell me where to cut it.

I over-estimated the weight by about 10 lbs, and he went for it. I cut it off, wrapped it in shrink-wrap, and took it to both post office and UPS. UPS was about $15 cheaper...but still $20 more than I quoted!!!

So i just shipped it, and ate the $20. Rolling Eyes

It was mostly the size that made it cost so much. He wanted it cut on the tunnel, behind the pedal mount. Live and learn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: