Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stress Cracks
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnd0809
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Stress Cracks Reply with quote

I have some stress cracks on the rocker panel, just on one side (right rearside). Tried to take pictures of it but will not show up. Any ideas on how to fix or should I just leave alone.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: stress cracks Reply with quote

do you know if the rocker is or sheetmetal?

no insult to you, could be body filler cracking under paint. if all metal, grind/wire wheel to bare metal and have the crack(s) welded then grinded smooth.

my thoughts on the issue. good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnd0809
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot tell. If I take through the sheet metal, would I be able to see?
- Is it common for just the sheet metal to fail?
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine cracked in the same place -- the metal had been rotting from the inside for awhile, and that's how it finally let me know. I ended up replacing much of that outer rocker with new metal. It is a higher stress area, but the sheet metal shoudn't fail from usual body flex stress unless it's in bad shape for other reasons.
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it cracking at the body panel joints? There are several places where different panels meet and they are filled with a joint compound. I have a couple where the filler has come out because of years and road vibrations...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is on the drivers (left) front. There is also a similar horizontal joint at the rear. Are these the areas where your's is cracking? Are you planning on repainting? If so just refill joints before you paint with a good 3M autobody joint filler.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: