Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Procedure for changing 85 Vanagon gear oil?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Procedure for changing 85 Vanagon gear oil? Reply with quote

I'm guilty of never changing the gear oil fluid. Never! And I know it oughta be done cause it's tough shifting.....so, after an hour of fruitless search results?
(I did get the procedure for air cooled Laughing , not sure that'll help with this 85 1.9 )
Is it a 17 mm bolt I need to find?
Is there also a drain plug? or do I need a turkey baster to pull fluid?
I don't want to stir up the gl4 vs. gl5 controversy...I'm going with the redline mt-90.
A gallon of that stuff be enough?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about you poke your nose under there and look? An 85 sits high enough so you can do that. I know, I was just under there the other day. The standard drain VW drain / fill plug is 17mm. Go look in the Bentley or your owners manual for fill quantity. Ya fill till it runs out. If you filled a gallon in, my gosh that would be amazing. BTW: You will need a pump to put it in.

It is an awfully good idea to put in magnetic plugs and do not overtighten as they are tapered.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm able to get the fluid in there without a pump. i use the quart (i think its a quart?) size bottleand you can tip it upside down and get the end in the hole. get some rags and cardboard cause you'll probably lose a little.... mine is an 82 so maybe the ability to do this is not there on a watercooled.
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Somebody needs a nap...... What you are looking for is a big 17mm allen wrench. to use on the plug at the bottom of the tranny. the book says that you can use 3.7 quarts, but that is for a new tranny. You will not be able to get all of the old stuff out, so I would guess it will take about 3 quarts. This stuff is thick, so don't let it fool you . When it starts to spill back, give it a few seconds and see if it has leveled off. You can stick the end of your finger in and feel around to see how close you are. You can probably get a big 17mm allen socket at your local parts store since it is the same size as a lot of other Audi and VW cars... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
angelchild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: filling Reply with quote

to fill it, I used one of those bendy accordian end funnels.....put the end into the fill hole, and accordian bended it so the funnel was facing up and resting on suspension 'parts'...then you can pour your tranny oil in from the side reaching in just above & in front of (or was that behind?...can't remember) the wheel (a light helps to make sure your pouring into the funnel!)
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy It comes out here... park on a hill , or jack up the front of your van to help it all run out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It goes in here. passengers side, up near the front of the tranny, about 1/3 of the way up.

I would like to thank my EXTRA 5 SPEED... for helping me in this demonstration.....

(you heard right... I might be letting a perfectly good 5 speed go up for sale at a bargain price....)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric, I noticed the bike wheel, do you race 'cross?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do they insist on painting them blacK???? Too lazy to do some scrubbing? It sure does not make spotting leaks any easier. UGH. Rant off...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, you're making it impossible for me to put this off any longer, and that's just what a lazy bastard like me needs.........put in my order on the oil about 5 minutes ago.
A 5 speed huh? Damn, don't tempt me......
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy No 'cross racing, but I did just get a hardtail mountain bike to do a little ammature downhill. They have a "Clidesdale" class that is made just for us big fat bastards(6'5"-275lbs) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: procedure for changing 85 vanagon gear oil ? Reply with quote

Now I wonder if this has ever been done to mine? Swepco 201 seems to be the preferred brand, so that's ordered…

No shifting problems but it does whine a bit. Maybe this is why.

I wonder how much will drain…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: procedure for changing 85 vanagon gear oil ? Reply with quote

Just to add to the conversation, the owners manual states that the transmission oil does not need to be changed.

from page 102:
The final drive requires hypoid oil SAE 90,
which does not have to be changed

How can this be? Well the reason we change engine oil is because of the gasoline and combustion contaminants, which break down the properties of the oil's ability to lubricate. The transmission is a closed box with a magnet to collect all the wear particles from the gears and bearings. So if you think about it a little, what is there to change the chemistry of the transmission oil? I think I changed mine because it made me feel better, that and a little fear.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for changing 85 vanagon gear oil ? Reply with quote

it still needs to be changed - VW did not think people would be crazy enuff to keep their vehicles for 30 years

change it every 5-10 years or 75-100k miles, which ever comes first

from discussions with chemists, engineers and tech reps. at various oil co.s (boutique included), they all think the shelf life of engine or gear oil is no longer than 5 years

OTOH, it sits still and may separate on the shelf, so if used it will be mixed and you can maybe extend the interval some

OTOOH, a deda vanagon can sit for a long time too - and they die pretty frequently
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for changing 85 vanagon gear oil ? Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
from page 102:
The final drive requires hypoid oil SAE 90,
which does not have to be changed
How can this be? Well the reason we change engine oil is because of the gasoline and combustion contaminants, which break down the properties of the oil's ability to lubricate.

The transmission is built to last the "lifetime of the vehicle", something like 100,000 miles. Vanagons, in general, easily serve out their "lifetime" but by the end they're swimming in their own barf, shortening the life of lots of valuable parts that you may have wanted to use again. The lifetime oil is a manufacturer recommended hari-kiri that you can opt out of - if longer trans life is desired.

The engine is different, due to the contaminants of combustion, engine oil must be changed several times (for the engine to last the "lifetime of the vehicle").

davideric9 wrote:
The transmission is a closed box with a magnet to collect all the wear particles from the gears and bearings. So if you think about it a little, what is there to change the chemistry of the transmission oil?

The magnet does not collect "all the wear particles". It holds the large broken-off particles (if any). It's right there next to the Ring gear, a 6 inch gear that spins at 700 RPM at 65mph where the tooth speed is 22 feet per second. The violent motion in the thick fluid washes a lot of the of trash off the magnet. Then every night, the magnet gathers some nearby trash for tomorrow's wash-off. The rest of the trash just falls downward as far as it can wherever it is, during the time the oil is motionless.

To conclude your oil is "good" by looking at your magnet, your magnet should have areas that are devoid of metal. If it's completely "full" it's no longer effective and your time to change oil was passed a long time ago.

Oil can be expected to "meet its spec" for 5 years. So it's not "dead" in 5 years but the oil producer is no longer responsible for the oil "meeting its spec". Five years is an "industry accepted standard". I bet it mainly serves to goad you into to changing old oil (buying more oil).
davideric9 wrote:
I think I changed mine because it made me feel better, that and a little fear.

Understood. The trans doesn't fail quickly, it's hard to be sure that you're doing the right thing when you don't even know if you'll still own the van another 50,000 miles. But things are changing. There are no good used transaxles out there anymore, and rebuilds can cost $3-5,000 now. Vanagons are becoming valuable vehicles worthy of "proper maintenance".

And LOTS of folks are putting DOUBLE the horsepower thru their poorly maintained, old transaxles. And spinning them faster and harder. With reliable new, big engines, expect to drive them farther and faster. But don't give a thought to this crucial (now undersized) component.

This is the time where you wish someone changed the oil every 30K back while the trans was healthy. And every 15k as it got older and "soiled itself" sooner. GL4 & GL5 are only $15/gal it's not an expensive or difficult DIY maintenance item

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Procedure for changing 85 Vanagon gear oil? Reply with quote

Swepco 201 90w has always been the oil of choice. It seems VW changed from every 30,000 miles of the Lifetime when all the auto manufacturers were advertising their cars as needing less maintenance ( time wasted in the dealer's shop).
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Procedure for changing 85 Vanagon gear oil? Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Swepco 201 90w has always been the oil of choice.

I think Swepco 201 is a great oil for the "protection" especially for a big engine, but you have to be patient shifting for the first 10, 20 miles when it's cold. (PS I have a gallon of Swepco 201 that I'd like to sell, send a PM if interested). Thicker oil just HAS to offer better separation between the metal parts. Also when the trans is old and loose, thicker oil HAS to be better too. But don't grind your gears (& make metal in the oil) shift slower & easier... go easy. Syncroshop advises "shift with two fingers."

Something to be said about staying with "dino" oil in an old trans. Like waldi writes, synthetic oil in an old trans can wash all kinds of metal-contaminated trash off your gears and return it to circulation in the trans.

So you'd have to change your oil several times in short succession, which could be costly with synthetic. Your illustrious Sodo thinks there is a way to do it though (settle your expensive oil Wink ) but that's a task for "the hobbyist" Wink .

Bleyseng wrote:
It seems VW changed from every 30,000 miles of the Lifetime when all the auto manufacturers were advertising their cars as needing less maintenance ( time wasted in the dealer's shop).

I agree it's part of marketing, the mfrs present it to the new car buyer "as a benefit" of lower maintenance cost. Tthey know its built well enough to satisfy the original buyer for the "lifetime of the vehicle" (~100,000 miles swimming inits own barf). And the benefit for the mfr is the van gets "retired" taken off the road sooner, creating demand for new vehicle sales. The last thing they need is the van driving another 200,000 miles, where satisfied customers COULD be buying a new car.

The original owner doesn't care about 100,000 miles and onward, they have sold or traded the car. Only the antique'rs care about the second life of the car.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Procedure for changing 85 Vanagon gear oil? Reply with quote

Step one. Set you van on the rear bumper. Remove drain plug. When oil stops running out reinstall drain plug.
Step two. Set van back on wheels. Fill with specified amount of oil. Check level as per manual. Adjust as necessary.

Yes, I did write manuals in a former life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Procedure for changing 85 Vanagon gear oil? Reply with quote

Thicker oil just HAS to offer better separation between the metal parts...

but only if it flows in between them Exclamation and it may be too thick to do so.

Besides, the separation may be limited by other factors.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Procedure for changing 85 Vanagon gear oil? Reply with quote

As I read elsewhere in my samba studies...

Open the fill port before draining. Otherwise, you might successfully drain the gear oil only to discover that the fill plug is stuck and you are unable to fill
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Procedure for changing 85 Vanagon gear oil? Reply with quote

For those reading along who have automatics, there is no drain hole for the differential (where the gear oil goes). You'll either very carefully loosen the pan bolts and tilt a corner down to drain, or siphon/suck the fluid out of the fill hole:

(borrowed pic)

dgbeatty wrote:
Step one. Set you van on the rear bumper.

Think
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: