Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Judson
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Judson Reply with quote

I keep hearing negative stuff about Judsons, would anyone recommend using it on a daily driver especially with our weather in Oz being extremely hot? I'm increasingly becoming reluctant running it on my car as I'd rather not have an engine I have to pamper and treat with a glove..
Cheers,
AL
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a "all motor" guy and there's nothing like a stroker engine with dual carbs. But the Judson was sold to people who used them on daily drivers.

Just drive normally and don't have your foot into it all the time.

If you drive 12,000 miles a year don't expect it not to wearout after a resonable amount of time.

If you want it 20 years from now... don't drive it daily.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you keep hearing negative stuff?
I have been running a Judson on my car for the last few years. This year I have driven to Effingham IL on a 1600 mile round trip and also to Denver CO and back, another 1100 miles. No problems with the Judson.

This last Sunday I drove across Eastern Colorado in temps in the high 90's and it didn't get hot. I run a temp dip stick and a couple times the light flickered but that was when I was pushing 70 for a while but when I backed it off and ran 60 (speed limit) it was fine.

They also make a clattering noise that you can hear more at idle because of the rotor vains, but I'm not complaining, just explaining.

If you want more horsepower, your money might be better spent on a bigger motor. If you want to be different from all the rest, run a Judson.
jeffreystarks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Judson Reply with quote

Whats a Judson?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Judson Reply with quote

jeffreystarks wrote:
Whats a Judson?

Late 50's, early 60's super charger designed for the 36hp and 40hp engines.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffreystarks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Judson Reply with quote

HHHmmm, I'm fine with how my engine is now...thanks for the response.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Judson Reply with quote

al9 wrote:
I keep hearing negative stuff about Judsons, would anyone recommend using it on a daily driver especially with our weather in Oz being extremely hot? I'm increasingly becoming reluctant running it on my car as I'd rather not have an engine I have to pamper and treat with a glove..
Cheers,
AL

Al I've battled against a lot of negativity over the last 10 years. If you listen to all of it you wouldn't touch one.

There are a hell of a lot of people out there with positive stories about Judsons because these are the people who actually OWN one.

Most people who tell you bad stories know a guy who knows a guy who had one once. A Judson is a mechanical pump with moving parts that are subject to wear...sound familiar?

If you run one for a long time like an engine it will wear, as it wears it becomes noisier but unlike an engine when Judsons make a strange noises people continue to drive them hell for leather.

The Judson believe it or not, when new didn't add to the decebel count from the engine. The clatter from the vanes is an indication of the gradual wearing of the rotor slots. They will still run well for years making a slight clatter, like and engine will but eventually you're going to have to take it apart and give it an overhaul.

Very few do...they take them off the car, give them a lick of paint and sell them on Ebay. Surprise, surprise you get a lot more negative stories about Judsons. Confused
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK John, you're the Judson expert. How will a Judson affect the lifespan of an engine?

I mean, it's almost a given that the guy who puts a Judson on is gonna drive his engine harder than the average guy so in some ways that's not a fair question.

But all things being equal, if a non-Judson engine is good for 75,000 miles then a Judson engine should be good for _________ miles.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
OK John, you're the Judson expert. How will a Judson affect the lifespan of an engine?

I mean, it's almost a given that the guy who puts a Judson on is gonna drive his engine harder than the average guy so in some ways that's not a fair question.

But all things being equal, if a non-Judson engine is good for 75,000 miles then a Judson engine should be good for _________ miles.

You've half answered your own question already Coad ("it's almost a given that the guy who puts a Judson on is gonna drive his engine harder") people have this idea that a Judson is a "Hot" item but you have to look at whom the original was aimed.

This is not a unit aimed at ultimate performance, it's designed to give a modest boost to a cheap family car of the '50s. If you have a Judson and use it to take advantage of the performance characteristic of supercharging (mid range torque) your Judson augmented engine and drive train will last longer. That's the theory anyway...the problem is, as you say the human element comes into it...i.e. foot to the floor.

This way the Judson gets blamed for every engine failure whether it's the fault of supercharging the engine or not.

The Judson adds little to the top end of the power curve so you might get 80 out of it but where it scores over the 36hp is that you can keep up a really good average speed over a long trip...you just don't slow to a crawl on the hills and you're not chopping up and down through the box. Judson recommended shifting through the box at all the same points as on the normally asperated car, hang onto a gear a little longer, occasionally but on no account overrev the engine. That way the engine is less stressed, the transmission is less stressed and the driver is less stressed.

Incidentally, I'm not a Judson expert...I have opinions, I've read all there is to read about them and I have contact with a lot of owners. I've had my Judson for 10 years but I know someone who bought his first Judson powered Oval in 1958, he's still driving it...same Oval, same Judson.

He's an expert and Alejandro Martin and George Folchi, but I'm just someone who can put you in touch with an expert Smile
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I guess I'll run the Judson! Thanks for all the replies. It's just a matter of locating that darn hood scoop!
Cheers All!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aka pip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will the judson for the 36hp fit on the 40hp? what is the diffrents.
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always the option of the Mag or pepco supercharger. These are both roots type instead of the vane type judson. Mag superchargers are very difficult to find, I have a couple of pepcos for sale at the moment.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipster wrote:
will the judson for the 36hp fit on the 40hp? what is the diffrents.

In a word..No.

The engine cases are slightly different and the 40hp Judson needs to sit slightly further forward on the intake manifold to line up with the crankshaft pulley.
aka pip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info!
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is evryone absolutely certain that the regular Judson coil works on both 6-12 volt system coz i heard otherwise that a resistor is required to be fitted?
Thanks,
AL
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

al9 wrote:
Is evryone absolutely certain that the regular Judson coil works on both 6-12 volt system coz i heard otherwise that a resistor is required to be fitted?
Thanks,
AL

100% Guaranteed. I have one NOS with instructions and it very clearly states that it will work on either 6 or 12 volt systems.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

al9 wrote:
Thanks,
AL

Yes "Coad" is right works fine on either 6 or 12v. The question of a need for a balast resistor in answered in the Judson Magneto fitting instructions http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/magneto_installation_page.htm

As I'm not good on auto electrics I can't offer specific advice on this but in general terms most people find the resistor is not needed. I run my Magneto on my '59 6v Beetle without one and it's run perfectly for the last 3 years.
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Has anybody ever tried to run their Judson without the carb spacer mounting plate in order to lower the aircleaner slightly in a Ghia application?
Thanks,
AL
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

al9 wrote:
Thanks everyone! Has anybody ever tried to run their Judson without the carb spacer mounting plate in order to lower the aircleaner slightly in a Ghia application?
Thanks,
AL

that's been covered in the ghia forum, and the short answer is that it won't work-- you 'll need the scoop that mounts on the engine decklid.

For details search in there for "JUDSON"
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Coad, I am fitting a scoop, the question is more like can I run it without the carb spacer as I don't have it...
Thanks,
AL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: