Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Judson
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Julio Iniguez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi al9, I have had three judsons kits all installed on ghias, one on a 40hp one on a 1600dp and the curent one possibly to be sold decklid w/scoop and all on a 36hp. You can see pics in the ghia and acc. gallery(I'm to lazy how to figure out to insert into thread Embarassed ). Anyway I'm pretty sure the only time you need the spacer is if you have the larger generator or an alternator and it goes between the manifold and blower not between the carb itself. I also have had the magnetos on all of them and only used the ballist resistor on the 12v needed or not?
Like the other guy's say, there is nothing to worry about as long as you don't treat it like a race car and the guy's that warn you have gotten the quick respray rebuild. Mine was rebuilt by George Folchi and he does an amazing job and just sad to think I might have to sell it Crying or Very sad . Anyway I guess that's enough bable I hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julio Iniguez wrote:
Anyway I'm pretty sure the only time you need the spacer is if you have the larger generator or an alternator and it goes between the manifold and blower not between the carb itself.

Actually Julio the carb spacer that was provided with all 40hp Judson kits is essential if you are using a 28pict carb. It fits between the carb and the blower intake and is needed as the link arm to the accelerator pump rod rotates to a level below the carb base on the 28pict.

Hope you understand that decription but if you have a look at the operation of these parts with a 28pci and a 28pict side by side it will become clear why you need the spacer.

Without it the 28pict will not operate properly. The usual Judson restorers can supply you with the spacer...no problem.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Very ineresting topic. Are all Judsons the same size, same displacement? Would this be a worthwhile consideration for a bus with a stock 1600? I had a Judson with a Marvel oiler lubricating it in a Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite in 1961. It was a real kick in the pants. Don't think it ever stressed or harmed the engine but I had to replace the vanes a couple times. To save wear on the Judson I'd take the belt off and it still ran good with the carb sucking through the non rotating Judson. The next car was a Vet and I was going to put a little Jimmy 4-71 on it as a nice street blower 'till I heard that a 1/4 mile hit was equiv. to 1000 miles of street use.
Julio Iniguez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John, you are absolutley correct! I don't know what the hell I was thinking Embarassed I know it's been a few years since I did it (6 years?)but damm oops, sorry al9, I remember the pump arm being in the way but for whatever reason I was thinking of the generator. All I know is that it was a lot of work to fit it on a 1600dp and make it run good, it was fun though. Thanks for catching that John.

Julio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please people just tell me, fine I can use the same Judson coil for a 6-12 volt applications as everyone confirms but my mechanic still insists that I need a resistor of some sort for my 12 volt application. Do I need anything else or can I just tell him to hook-up the darn Judson coil as is with no other additional mods or stuff etc...
Thanks so much!
AL
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Julio Iniguez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at Installation Instructions for a magneto right now.
On the inside page it say's "Same unit is used on both 6 volt and 12 volt systems. Installation procedure is exactly the same for both negative ground and positive ground systems."
On the back page it say's
IMPORTANT
"This unit must have a ballast resistor in the line when used on a 12 volt system."
It also goes on about cars that have built in ones and which ones don't. Then it say's "A ballast resistor must be installed as per the above note. This is not necessary on Bosch 6 volt systems as used on the VW and Porsche."
I didn't take a chance when I put one on a 12 volt so I installed one. I took the part number it lists to a little parts shop and the guy did a cross reference and had one. I guess it's nothing special and it's pretty easy to find and it looked identical to the picture in the magneto paperwork.
If I can find the box I'll post the brand and part# you can probably do the same thing I did and take the old number to a shop, it should be a standard part. The instructions list it as Delco(GM) ballast resistor#1957154
good luck
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julio Iniguez wrote:

On the back page it say's
IMPORTANT
"This unit must have a ballast resistor in the line when used on a 12 volt system."
It also goes on about cars that have built in ones and which ones don't. Then it say's "A ballast resistor must be installed as per the above note. This is not necessary on Bosch 6 volt systems as used on the VW and Porsche."

Yes you're right Julio, I had to check what it said on my own website Embarassed ...my turn to be embarrassed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't think it is anything complicated just a matter of following the instructions.

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Julio Iniguez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking out for each other, right John. By the way I have visited your site more than a few times for info. Great site!

Julio
15 windowdelux
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi by the way when you search Judson and this photo comes up, don't ask me how much I want for it, I don't own it. The guy that does isn't in the selling mood. I just posted a photo of it for informational purposes.

Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television"????
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 windowdelux wrote:
Hi by the way when you search Judson and this photo comes up, don't ask me how much I want for it, I don't own it. The guy that does isn't in the selling mood. I just posted a photo of it for informational purposes.

So..how much you want for it?

Laughing
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 windowdelux wrote:

Heyyy! That scoop's fitted the wrong way round. Discuss...ah... don't bother Wink
15 windowdelux
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a ghia scoop, on a low light ghia. Car sits in Kansas. Guy has probably gotten several calls on the scoop from people wanting to buy it. He's probably thinking " where the hell did someone from japan/austrailia/europe find out that I had a low light ghia with a funky hood scoop on it?"
Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television"????
krazkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was poking around on ebay and found this comment on a Jusdson Magneto ad at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...7&rd=1

"It is suggested that it is exercised before use on a vehicle (run low voltage through it and work up to 6 volts) since it has sat unused for so many years. This is not a true magneto, but rather a transistorised coil which was used for improved spark."

Which brings me to my questions:
1) I have an old magneto ( mine is NOS...never used !) should I do this? Why?

2) What is the difference between a true magneto and a tansitorized coil ( if this fellow is even correct?)

Thanks
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilding a Judson, PROVIDED ALL THE REUSEABLE PARTS ARE IN SERVICEABLE CONDITION, isn't that hard. I tackled a Judson rebuild in 2003 or 2004 for Hot VWs Magazine, under the tutelage of Alejandro Martin, of Belguim, and John Moxon, of The Samba, and when fitted to my friends '56 sunroof, it worked just fine. If the front and rear covers are okay, bearings are available. The rotor vanes are easily obtainable, as well, if you know where to look, like on John Moxon's Judson website. If the rotor is too badly worn, then you might have to source another one; fortunately, mine was good enough to toss another set of vanes in it, polish the end covers, press-in new bearings, paint the housing high-temp black, and run with it.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned, is that I believe it is required to have a Marvel Mystery Oiler hooked up, and delivering a small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil. Those are available, as well, through a number of places; I got mine for $25.00 on e-pay.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
krazkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Judson magnetos currently in my possesion. One is a NOS never run, and the other has been used and removed from a car.

Question is ......

1) can I (how) test the used one before putting it in to be sure it even works?

2) does a magento lose performance with age ( sorry dumb question as Iguess everything will decrease performance after sitting for years so I guess I am asking how by how much)

3) As per a previous post on another thread:
I was poking around on ebay and found this comment on a Jusdson Magneto ad at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...7&rd=1

"It is suggested that it is exercised before use on a vehicle (run low voltage through it and work up to 6 volts) since it has sat unused for so many years. This is not a true magneto, but rather a transistorised coil which was used for improved spark."
Should I should I do this? If so how?
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's either going to work or not work as soon as you hook it up. I don't think it needs any special prep.

I have one on my car, and I hooked it up to an old SUN spark plug/distributor tester from the 40's or 50's and it really did put out a hotter spark than my stock 6V coil. Don't kid yourself though. If you install one you're doing it 99% for the look of the thing. It isn't going to dazzle you with extra performance.

A lot of the ones that show up on ebay, especially the NOS ones are positive ground units though, so look for that first. The positive units are marked with a rubber stamp on the front.

FYI, They do say that the coil can be used on wither 6 or 12 volt systems though.

Full instructions if you need them: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/judson_magneto.php
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
I think it's either going to work or not work as soon as you hook it up. I don't think it needs any special prep.

I have one on my car, and I hooked it up to an old SUN spark plug/distributor tester from the 40's or 50's and it really did put out a hotter spark than my stock 6V coil. Don't kid yourself though. If you install one you're doing it 99% for the look of the thing. It isn't going to dazzle you with extra performance.

A lot of the ones that show up on ebay, especially the NOS ones are positive ground units though, so look for that first. The positive units are marked with a rubber stamp on the front.

FYI, They do say that the coil can be used on wither 6 or 12 volt systems though.

Full instructions if you need them: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/judson_magneto.php

Yes, Alejandro Martin who has probably sold more of these Judson Magnetos than anyone tells me, as "coad" said, "they either work or they don't". You won't get them giving an intemittant fault so they're easy to live with.

Positive Ground Magnetos are no use for VWs so make sure you know what you're getting or bidding on. As well as being maked "Positive Ground" on the front label they are sometimes marked on the alloy fins at the top.

You'll find how the Judson Company described their product here: http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/magneto_sales_literature.htm

Don't waste your money buying a Judson Magneto and a Judson See-Dee Transistorised Ignition...they're an either or. The See-Dee is used with a normal coil...the Magneto replaces the normal coil.

If you want more info on them you'll find some more topics on our Judson Forum: http://forum.judsonregister.org/viewforum.php?f=4
krazkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...I actually already have them in my possesion as well as a supercharger on the way.
This is my first car project so I am not vey mechanical but spend a bunch of time reading and trying to learn. So if there is a way to test this used one without anyhting other than a 6V sourcce? Voltmeter? I wouldn't have accees to a spark plug tester but have a battery charger adn some old plugs?
Thanks ...and yes they do look way cool but am still crossing my fingers for a bit of an improvement ( I know the superchrger will bive me a bit too Twisted Evil )
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when it is all said and done close your deck lid very slowly the first time and make sure that it clears the Judson intake on the carburator. Don't ask me how I know Laughing One thing that I did not see discussed here is this: do not install a Judson on an engine that has not been broken in. Your rings have to seal to the cylinder walls. If you install a Judson on a new engine your rings will never seal properly.
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got one, you got to run it. You wouldnt have bought it without wanting to run it. Nice that you got the coil also. Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: