Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Bus rear apron comparisons
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZENAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better yet, trace it, scan it, and post it for a template.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
That is a 40hp engine.

Sounds normal.

it is a bit confusing at first for us europeans that the US engine horsepower ratings are different from the original ratings.

In Germany a 1200cc with the removable generator stand has 34PS

In the US that is a 40 horse...

the 30PS motor is a 36 horse in the US

the original 24.5PS motor is a 30 horse in the US and so forth.

considering that there are actual 40, 42, 44 and 47PS motors in europe, you can just imagine that this is an easy mistake to make.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Buba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks, can someone take this measures for me? I have to make the hole in my apron. If you can take them in milimeters will be great. Wink
Now with a better pic.

A:
B:
C:
D:
E:

Best regards
Marcos

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

60 SO23
60 Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 36hp '58 bus with crankstart apron and flat decklid. If I wanted to run a 1600cc motor in this bus can I simply switch the apron to a 59-65 style and use with factory 1600cc exhaust/tailpipe? I guess what I am asking is will the '58 decklid latch to the later apron?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos:
A= 39mm
B= 9mm
C= 10mm
D= 21mm
E= 2mm

The entire cutout is cut out of the front face and rear face of the apron. On the one I am using for measurement, those two faces do not line up perfectly top to bottom. Because of that, there is actually only 7mm space for C.
I hope that makes sense. I can't comment on any other aprons, but it would be prudent to get a second opinion.

buseric wrote:
will the '58 decklid latch to the later apron?

Yes
That is the configuration on my Sept 58 SC - aftermarket brakelight decklid and stock 59-65 apron.

Last edited by Riff Raff on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
I have a 36hp '58 bus with crankstart apron and flat decklid. If I wanted to run a 1600cc motor in this bus can I simply switch the apron to a 59-65 style and use with factory 1600cc exhaust/tailpipe? I guess what I am asking is will the '58 decklid latch to the later apron?
i believe the latch is in the same place on a 58 or 59-65 apron.

i did have an issue w/the tailpipe and damper hitting the rear bumper mount and had to make a spacer for the mount tab on the stock muffler
i am using a 65 decklid and apron combo

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
Marcos:
A= 39mm
B= 9mm
C= 10mm
D= 21mm
E= 2mm

The entire cutout is cut out of the front face and rear face of the apron. On the one I am using for measurement, those two faces do not line up perfectly top to bottom. Because of that, there is actually only 7mm space for C.
I hope that makes sense. I can't comment on any other aprons, but it would be prudent to get a second opinion.

buseric wrote:
will the '58 decklid latch to the later apron?

Yes
That is the configuration on my Sept 58 SC - aftermarket brakelight decklid and stock 59-65 apron.

Thanks. I thought it looked the same.
Buba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
Marcos:
A= 39mm
B= 9mm
C= 10mm
D= 21mm
E= 2 mm

Great Riff Raff. I just see this answer
Regards

Marcos
60 SO23
60 Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frozensolidtacos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus rear apron comparisons Reply with quote

I'm trying to repair holes like in this thread but have no reference to go off of.

Where the exhaust cutouts are, is the metal there suppose to be flat from top to bottom or curved?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus rear apron comparisons Reply with quote

Frozensolidtacos wrote:
I'm trying to repair holes like in this thread but have no reference to go off of.

Where the exhaust cutouts are, is the metal there suppose to be flat from top to bottom or curved?

ALWAYS helps to know year of bus in question. Also good to at least read thru the first page with the images and explanations of each era of rear apron. So far as we know none of the buses should have more than one exhaust cut outs.
Frozensolidtacos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus rear apron comparisons Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Frozensolidtacos wrote:

ALWAYS helps to know year of bus in question. Also good to at least read thru the first page with the images and explanations of each era of rear apron. So far as we know none of the buses should have more than one exhaust cut outs.

Sorry. 63 DC.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus rear apron comparisons Reply with quote

Frozensolidtacos wrote:
Sorry. 63 DC.

No worries. Center of the hole is about 11.5" or 32cm from left edge of apron. Problem is the hole is not just a round hole half cut into the apron. The places that would be corners of the hole (where it meets the lower straight edge of the apron) are each radiused with a curve on each side.

Your best bet is to get a ruined rear apron due to rust or upper damage, and use that for a repair piece. If you post an image of your apron and put "WTB" in front of the advert title with something like "ISO damaged rear apron for repair piece." or something like that in the classifieds.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Mon May 23, 2022 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus rear apron comparisons Reply with quote

Other possibility is if you contact Klassicfab and see if they will make you a repair piece. Since they make the whole rear apron, it should be easy for them to make just part of it.
Frozensolidtacos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus rear apron comparisons Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Other possibility is if you contact Klassicfab and see if they will make you a repair piece. Since they make the whole rear apron, it should be easy for them to make just part of it.

I figured where I need to fix and such for the cut outs. I just wanted to know if where the cutouts are is flat or curved. Mine is damaged curved so it's hard to tell which way it's suppose to go
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus rear apron comparisons Reply with quote

Frozensolidtacos wrote:

I figured where I need to fix and such for the cut outs. I just wanted to know if where the cutouts are is flat or curved. Mine is damaged curved so it's hard to tell which way it's suppose to go

Also just like the lower straight edge the curves of the cut out have a slight flange of sheet metal bent forward. This is to stiffen the metal so it does not vibrate too badly that will cause cracking of the metal.

Here is a 1966 NOS apron EB uploaded to the gallery, cut out is same size:

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Tue May 24, 2022 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus rear apron comparisons Reply with quote

Here's the backside of that NOS apron with the tiny lip, if that help:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: