Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

chrome exhaust rust prevention
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: chrome exhaust rust prevention Reply with quote

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to keep the cheezy chrome on the "tri mill" buggy headers from rusting up so fast?

I thought I had heard of a product that motorcylce enthusiests use to keep chrome pipes from blueing and rusting, but then again they have "real chrome" on their parts.

any info appreciated, about to put a new system into use.

Last edited by keifernet on Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajaherbie
Samba Sooner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to a bike shop and ask them what they use.......

my next tri mill is going to be ceramic coated. Confused
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bajaherbie wrote:
go to a bike shop and ask them what they use.......

my next tri mill is going to be ceramic coated. Confused

errr thanks... Shocked I can do that and will if I do not get any response from someone on here who has used something that worked or helped minimize the rust. Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it wouldn't burn off a exhaust, but I've used something called "NeverDull" for chrome and aluminum parts. Its sorta like an super-chrome polish for removing heavy corrosion/tarnish from TV antennas,etc. The heat of the exhaust might burn it off, but at least it could restore a little shine. Chrome polish might actually work but you'd have to apply it a few times a month or so depending on weather conditions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bgs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's called either SimiChrome, or BlueAway.
Better yet get it thermal coated. Runs 150.
I had a set of v-6 headers done here for 150. Still
look good and no chips or rust..
www.rewarderheaders.com

Far as the stuff I mentioned >
http://www.blueawaycleaner.com/
scott the viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thermal coat on my bug, but I run a pipe on my dirtbike that is just raw steel. I keep it from rusting by spraying it with WD-40 and wiping it with a rag after a ride in the mud or near the beach. It has been raw for several years without even so much as a spot of rust.

Play an accordion...go to jail.
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: chrome exhaust rust prevention Reply with quote

I don't think it's ALL the cheap chromes fault. I believe it has something to do with the chrome in addition to the high heat of headers that make them prone to rust.

I have tried a myriad of things to keep chrome headers from rusting. Polishes, Wax, etc. I have been unsuccessful to date.

The only way to keep and exhaust pretty, IMO, is to have it ceramic coated. Or, buy a new chrome exhaust every few months, depending on your location.

That is, unless the vehicle is garage kept and not driven in the rain. My sisters buggy kept the same bobtail exhaust for the last 3 years, and it looked as good the day I sold it as the day we put it on. The exhaust was polished after every wash, and never left out in the elements.

Honestly, how many other chrome exhausts do you see on other cars that are exposed to the weather? Muffler tips don't count, because they don't get hot. And do you think that neighbor down the street leaves his 32 T-Bucket (with chrome headers) out in the rain?

don't worry, the ciggaret is fake.
scott the viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell...my car doesn't sit out in the rain AND it's thermal coated. I just don't like it filled with unwanted passengers when summer comes around. Such as spiders, wasps, frogs, ferrets and jellyfish Laughing . In my experience (when living on the coast) there are few things as hard on a car as letting it sit un driven in the winter.

The Toolman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to popular belief, the shiny part you see is actually the nickel plating. Chrome is actually a bluish clear coating that protects the nickel and gives it that bluish brilliant type shine.

Most chrome/metal polishes will eventually polish off the protective chrome coating and you will be back down to the nickel finish which scratches really easy. Simichrome works good on blued exhaust, but eventually eats the thin layer of chrome off after several applications.

Most of the parts you get for the buggys and motorcycles are of a cheap chrome plating variety and not prepared and plated like production automobile parts are.

The reason most M/C exhaust don't turn colors and rust is because almost all of them now have a chrome shield over the pipes with a small air space between to keep the majority of heat away from the chrome on the shield.

Ronnie
scott the viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That...and when was the last time you saw a Harley fender deep in mud. Laughing

The Toolman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its still the fact that most aftermarket chrome is crap. It don't hafta ever see mud to start rusting. I put an aftermarket taiwan front bumper on my Ford truck and it is almost solid rust in less than 18 months.

More HD's in the mud than you think. Laying in the ditch broke down on the side of the road. Laughing

Ronnie Smile
scott the viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...but let me ask you this. Did you drive the truck only on sunny days and keep it in a heated garage (or in your living room) and then in your spare time did you go out to your heated garage and polish that bumper? Cheap chrome WILL rust no matter what. But keeping it in prime living conditions will make it last a lot longer. Also...(I own a Harley shop) and a good percentage of the pipes you get are a top notch chrome job. The cheaper pipes come out of the box rusted, but most of the higher end ones are quality. I personally hate the way heat shields look, so I won't even install them when I have the option.

The Toolman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the price of good HD pipes (Hookers, etc.) will tell you that they have a good plating job also.
Now the DG kickers exhaust has a seperate pipe covering the inner pipe which prevents the bluing we are talking about, but they also cost 4-5 hundred a set too. If you'll look at most of the Hondas now you won't even be able to tell that the pipes have shields.

As far as cheap chrome rusting, yes it will, no argument there. Most of the cheap manufacturers leave out the initial copper plating under the nickel plating that is used as a filler and parent metal protector. When this step is eliminated the moisture can get to the original metal surface a lot easier.

As far as the bikes go, I've rode for 38 years, HD, Honda and Triumph. I finally got out of riding due to all the yuppie better than thou pricks that ride now. $500 leather, $20k bike and 20 miles a week does not qualify a person as even a remote specimen of a biker.

I have a small machine shop and polished billet alum. parts is what I mainly make for Hondas.
http://www.81x.com/toolman/toolman

At the bottom of the web page are the bullet shifters I make and sell to a lot of HD riders.
I also do some writing for WIDEOPEN M/C magazine here in the midwest. It is an HD oriented mag. My Neighbor Ralph Roades owns it.
http://www.wideopencycle.com/

Ronnie Very Happy
scott the viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point on Harley's exhaust...Even the expensive ones will blue...if the bike is not running right. Heat shields have gotten better over the years, but they still have a way to go before I can stand to look at them. A lean running bike will blue even the best pipe and 90% of bikes on the road are just that, lean.
You and I agree with what has happened to the world of riding. Everyone wonders why I ride a Triumph even though I own a number of v-twins. I always say "because no one else is". Laughing

Nicksan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cheapie u bend between my tri-mills and my muffler, and it is rusting pretty bad even though its chrome plated. Would you guys know if its possible to have the chrome stripped off and replated?
The Toolman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it would be cheaper to get a new one that isn't chromed and have them do a good job on it.

Ronnie Smile
Nicksan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I had considered that. Thats probably what Ill do. Thanks.
tcrdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about tri mill but I'll tell ya what I do.

My buggy motor is all chromed out. Fan, tins, exhaust ect.. My headers came from J.C. Whitney and the "muffler" part is all chrome but the pipes themselves are black. Quality is fair and the finish is also fair. But I keep it looking good as best I can.

I polished the crap out of them before I ever bolted anything on. Tins and all. I used a paste type polish called Mothers. Did the same on everything I have thats chrome. For the headers, I wipe them down after every ride with a white (used to be) terry cloth rag that I used to polish everything last time. Still has a lot of polish residue on it.

When I clean it, I mean really clean it. Mothers is what I use, followed by a good wiping with "Never-Dull" Never Dull is a soft wadding material with the polish impregnated in it. Tear off a little piece and rub away. It's also good to use to get the finger prints off when I've been working on it. Great stuff.

My wheels were in really bad shape when I got it and I plan to have them rechromed. But until then, I took them off and spent at least an hour or better on each wheel with naval jelly and very fine steel wool. Be sure to use gloves! I still have a couple of rust spots but not many. Naval Jelly disolves the rust but you HAVE to follow up with a good polish or wax and keep them dry. Where the rust was will rust again.

For great quality chrome work, Chromemasters will fix you up. I haven't done anything there in a long time but they used to do excellent work, reasonable prices and fast turn around. They do a lot of work for Orange County Choppers. I'm planning to send my wheels and roll bar to them this winter. But for now, I'm too busy enjoying my ride.

Turtle Wax Chrome Polish has a very fine abrasive that also works good to remove small rust spots. MetAll and other paste type chrome polishes work great and as they work, the polish turns black and is hard to remove. Once it turns black, you can use a little plain baking flour to cause the polish to stick together to help removing it. Otherwise, you'll waste several rags getting the stuff off. Be sure to use very fine flour that doesn't have salt added. Salt will scratch and cause corrossion.

Good luck,
<><
TC
scott the viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you are saying is "take care of it?" Shocked That's just crazy talk.

tcrdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes I am as a matter of fact.

Mine is a street buggy. The only dirt roads it sees is my gravel driveway. If you run off road, chrome is isn't gonna stay shinny long and rust is a way of life. But it looks might good when it's clean.

<><
TC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: