Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

removing shifter rod
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: removing shifter rod Reply with quote

Does the rod have to come through the oval shaped horn hole, or am I missing something?

On a beetle the front bumper alledgedly has to come of...I did some fiberglassing in this area on my Ghia, so perhaps the changed geometry is getting in the way.

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes out the front of the car.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it comes out the front of the tunnel throught the inspection plate, but I don't seem to be able to remove it from the car entirely, because it hits the bottom of the body. Normally, a ghia has the horn boot hole, but I glassed that shut.

I'm wondering if it has to come through there or not.

All this is caused by this silly little thing called the shifter bushing. I replaced it, but can't shove the rod back through it. I'm pushing hard with lots of lube, and it seems impossible. I think some of the surface rust on the rod might be to blame, so I was going to sand it -- can't get it out of the car though... Sad

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apply more grease and use your foot to push it in. Once the rod gets started, it's not hard to push it the rest of the way.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorjos wrote:
I know it comes out the front of the tunnel throught the inspection plate, but I don't seem to be able to remove it from the car entirely, because it hits the bottom of the body. Normally, a ghia has the horn boot hole, but I glassed that shut.

You might be screwed. It is supposed to feed out thru the horn opening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ain't screwed s'long as I can pull out my die grinder with a cutoff wheel Twisted Evil

I think that's what I'll have to do if the foot trick don't work. This thing is pretty pitted near the end of it. Definitely not a sliding kind of surface.

Thanks for the inputs

Jos

Previous romances:

gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it in!

I did have to cut recut the horn hole to remove the shifter rod. Turns out It was cover in paint at the back end, plus all the rust. i hit it with some 180 and scotchbrite, and then there was nothing to it -- piece of cake. A little paint will make a huge difference...

Problem solved!

Very Happy

Previous romances:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: