Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wolfsburg crest
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: wolfsburg crest Reply with quote

does anyone have any information on the wolfsburg crest seen on the right in this photo?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it could be the crest for cars bound for the South African Dealerships but I'm not entirely sure.
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n3t4n9 wrote:
I think that it could be the crest for cars bound for the South African Dealerships but I'm not entirely sure.

On what evidence do you say that? I've never seen an emblem like that. SA bugs had identical Wolfsburg emblems to German bugs.

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW never offered anything except the standard Wolfsberg crest. Sometimes different cities had badges made up. Sometimes clubs had the crests changed for their logos. In the '70s a person in northern California made at least five different color backgrounds with the yellow pattern still available on eBay once in awhile. That said, I have not seen this particular color before. It is easy enough to change the colors. You dig out the color you want changed and replace it with the enamel color you like better. Any good craft shop can get you a kit that has all you need. Cloisonne repair is a common procedure with vintage badges collectors. Most of the time a black light is used to show the repair to badges made after the '60s when brightners were added to most colors. Because VW never offered this color doesn't mean that this badge is not valuable to a badge collector. Someone put in a lot of time and effort to create this badge and it would look great on any car.
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a bunch of otehr styles also, but as said installed or offered outside the factory. Here's a few, theres a bunch more out there.
vwovalguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run one of those on my 57 vert. I was told a city in germany had made them in the 50's and wolfsburg repro'd a bunch in the 80's. The 2 tabs in the back of an original are split in half and the repro's have solid tabs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwovalguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run one of those on my 57 vert. I was told a city in germany had made them in the 50's and wolfsburg repro'd a bunch in the 80's. The 2 tabs in the back of an original are split in half like an original VW one and the repro's have solid tabs.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that VW Dealers never caught on to that. Would have made a very elegant Dealer badge.

But then again car dealers have never been know for having taste.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are a couple better photos:

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, look at that, it is in the classifieds (shameless plug for my ads) I do have a lot of original NOS accessories listed right now.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=209849
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Lind
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The badge has an Australian heritage according to Bob Shaill (IVVM) of the UK. He acquired an identical badge and mounted it on the Stolle Coupe.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
The badge has an Australian heritage according to Bob Shaill (IVVM) of the UK. He acquired an identical badge and mounted it on the Stolle Coupe.

Then he bought it in Mexico. I have seen two cars with the same badge at a show in TJ. Wink
Empicollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Special Limited edition in center---One of a kind---Not for sale--value--priceless--not for sale
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: