Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiper switch smoke
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: wiper switch smoke Reply with quote

Today I was driving my 64 bus and I switched on the wipers. The wipers didn't come on. Next thing I see is a small bit of smoke and I smell something burning. The far right fuse on the fuse panel pops. I feel under the dash and the double wire on the right side of the 2 prong wiper switch is hot. Any ideas what's gone wrong???
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: wiper switch smoke Reply with quote

AndrewM wrote:
Any ideas what's gone wrong???

Something shorted out, duh! Wink
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise there Einstein. jk.
I replaced the fuse right away pulled the switch back and and pop, blew the second fuse.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't find a shorted wire, more than likely the wiper gearbox or linkage is frozen up so the motor is drawing WAAY too much current. Pull the black/purple wire off the switch or off the motor. If you still blow fuses then you have a short in the switch or wiring. If it doesn't blow fuses with the wire pulled, then it's the motor, gearbox and/or linkage. Good luck!
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out what was up. A few weeks back my inner wiper arms popped off in a rainstorm. A few weeks later I pulled the parcel tray and popped the arms back on. While I was under there I took the wiper motor out to check out why both arms had popped off. When I put the wiper motor back in I accidentally switched the ground wire and the hot wire. When I pulled the switch the wipers worked, I guess the were running backward though, but you really can't tell since the wipers are doing what they are supposed to. I didn't need to use them until the other day and the engine was running this time when I turned them on. So I guess more current to pop the fuse?? Anyway they work now and I feel like a dumbass for switching the wires but at least I got a schooling on the wiper system.
Thanks dstefun for the advise and to Andrew from Gville, have fun with your new ride.(i saw Jake at the rock, you lucky bastard!)
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewM wrote:
and to Andrew from Gville, have fun with your new ride.(i saw Jake at the rock, you lucky bastard!)

Yep... Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: