Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cam Bearing Thrust Measurement
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Cam Bearing Thrust Measurement Reply with quote

Hi all, 79 CA model 2.0
Does anyone have the thickness of the thrust surfaces on a cam bearing from a new set? Also looking for the measurement between the cam thrust surfaces.

On a side note: The Bentley states that if the cam lifts out of the bearing saddles while rotating the crank backwards (with half the case off) than you must renew the cam gear. I don't know about this, there seems to be no perceptible backlash in the gears but my cam lifts out of the saddles while rotated backwards.

Thanks
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Bearing Thrust Measurement Reply with quote

jberger wrote:

The Bentley states that if the cam lifts out of the bearing saddles while rotating the crank backwards (with half the case off) than you must renew the cam gear. I don't know about this, there seems to be no perceptible backlash in the gears but my cam lifts out of the saddles while rotated backwards.

Those two symptoms are in agreement, you cannot use the word "but."
You can use the word "and" however.
>no perceptible backlash in the gears and cam lifts out of the saddles<

This means you have two proofs that the mesh is too tight.
No backlash and walk out means the mesh is too tight.
No backlash and no walk out means it is perfect.
Backlash BUT walks out means you got a problem with gear cuts or surfaces.
Backlash and no walk means you are too loose.
I think Jake Raby has used valve lapping paste to open up the gear swiping surfaces a tad as he sought a friction-free mesh. Clean like you have never cleaned all the paste out of there, then retest.
Colin
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally if the cam bearing thrust is too tight a tap of the cam fore and aft with the thrust bearing in place will give you a different reading thats adequate... Many times these are not settled out of the box.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 10000 mile old thrust bearing has a front thrust surface that measures .010 thinner than the rear.

This teardown is prompted by a strange valvetrain clacking coming from my engine. Found the cam to have .015 end play Shocked All other specs in the case look good. No scoring or chaffing on any bearing surfaces (other than normal wear). Heads good, pistons fine(no skirt slap) blah, blah, blah. I am trying to figure out why #1 my cam bearing thrust surface wore so badly and #2 is my cam ok to reuse?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some Mahle bearings many years ago that were hideously out-of-spec right out of the box, .011" play.
If you have eaten a KNOWN GOOD set of cam bearings then all I can think of is that your helical crank/cam gears drove agains the thrust bearing surfaces, now my question is was that due to loose cam mesh, tight cam mesh, or lousy bearings to begin with?
Colin
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
I bought some Mahle bearings many years ago that were hideously out-of-spec right out of the box, .011" play.
If you have eaten a KNOWN GOOD set of cam bearings then all I can think of is that your helical crank/cam gears drove agains the thrust bearing surfaces, now my question is was that due to loose cam mesh, tight cam mesh, or lousy bearings to begin with?
Colin

Yes, no, maybe?

Trying to figure that out as well. Quite a puzzle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: