Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camping Suggestions in Washington
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilweasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Camping Suggestions in Washington Reply with quote

Any one have some secluded camping suggestions around seattle? My ideal would be a mountain-top, secluded spot where I can park my van and have no-one near. I know these are pretty coveted spots, but I don't even know where to start. I was thinking of just taking my washington topography book and picking a promising looking area and exploring some backcountry roads. Any suggestions on spots or how to find them?
cnskate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's Blanchard Mountain near Bellingham, it's mountain top with the view, you will probably have some company at some point though. Deer Park in the Olympic National Forest off season on weekday would probably fit your bill to a "t". Let me know if you find a something good.
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Washington has the best camping. If you want a good lake close to Seattle with nice trails try Lake Easton. Just like an hour east on I90 I’ve been there three times this year. Also if you’re going to load the van up and go all out go to Mt Rainier,

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Lake+Easton&pageno=1

http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/wa/lawi/newindex.html

http://www.recreationusa.com/camping/washington.html

I highly recommend La Wis Wis by Mt Rainier. The second link. Great view’s fun logging roads to drive your van through, and it is in a state park with pits so you can build fires. but people are around. Also if you go down the road before you turn left for La Wis Wis go straight and take the next left and you will find a fun logging road with a hiking trail at the top to a beautiful lake and free camping by a river. I dont see to many people there. But when its free no restrooms so bring a some bags and a bucket.
See if you can get space E3 for westy and E4 for tents look at link down below
http://www.reserveamerica.com/nrrs/wa/lawi/lawi2.gif

http://www.tourlewiscounty.com/lodgingdining/camping.html
lilweasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, thanks for the suggestions. My goal for the remainder of this month is to find the "perfect" westy camping spot. Read- mountain top with views, remote but not too rugid access, nobody else there. Yeah, pretty much everyone else is looking for shangri la too, but damn-it I'm going to find it. When I do- I'll PM anyone interested.

Thanks for the suggestions- those sound great. I really appreciate it. It's always good to get a fresh take on local camping.
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weasel
try the USGS (us geoligical service) site.
They have many listings of cool waterfalls that few know about
enjoy.
Also there is an unbelieveable look out about a half mile before the Copper Creek restaurant, just before the enterance of Mt Rainier park.
It's gravel and about 14 miles from the road, but it's an umbelieveable view of the Mountain.
Big B
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lilweasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That look out sounds pretty sweet- many people around there? Which entrace is that near- I'm assuming the paradise entrance.

Damn I'm getting some good suggestions.

Last edited by lilweasel on Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you do find this nice spot with no one around please pm me
panic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get a copy of this
http://www.delorme.com/atlasgaz/
for washington.

It has most forest service and fire roads and such. There are a lot of roads through National Forest and BLM land that see little travel and have great views. Just make sure you have a full tank of gas and start cruising.
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weasel
Ha, you brought back a great memory. In answer to your question, about many people around there, the answer is usually no, nice and remote.
I went to that look out one summerday, as you drive to the summit, there is a trail to the right that goes up another 100 feet or so in elevation, it takes a 4x4 to climb it.
I was up on the higher summit and I had my SKS with me, just plinking a little. I didn't notice that below me ther were about seven city folk that drove up to the summit. my buddy had his AK also, so we both let fly with full double clips, man those people left in a hurry, felt bad, for about five seconds, then we roared till we fell down.
Remember there are trailhead theives up in those areas, if you leave your vehicle to hike, hide your stuff or lock it in the trunk.
That summit is a great place to spend the night
Big B
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm, washington, my home state. there's a place a ways outside seattle called lake takhlakh that i went to once about 15 years ago. i recall it being a long dirt road to get there, and very few people once there. nice little lake that looks like mt. adams just runs right into it. may be worth checking if you're in wa for awhile....and take pics as i can't recall exactly how it is

"We should all be having more fun. A lot more of the time. " -Randy in Maine
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head up Chinook pass and even over the other side, Theres lots of nice spots up there. Try going into Bumbing lake.

Look up Goldmyer Hot springs in the phone book, Call them up before you go. Its a bad ass moutain road out of north bend.

highway 20, up near the top or go right over into the methow river valley, Windthrop or twisp area. The Okanogan is my stopping grounds, second largest county in the state with the second smallest population = few people.

We should all try to meet up somewhere in the Okanogan some time for a VW campout. There sure seem to be enough of us in the area.
bigdood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try going up to the lion rock area (I90 east, than up in the hills) or concunully if you're headed east.

cnskate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite free and isolated site I have found recently is on the Chewuch River just north of Winthrop. This is the sort of discussion that is supposed to take place on the Wetwesties list, but rarely does, unfortunately
bigdood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rescind my takhlakh nomination. from reading the web sounds like it's a popular spot these days, doesn't fit the criteria. still scenic as all getout though.

lilweasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's the report- I took the suggestion of the forest service roads outside of Rainer National Park. WOW! So nice. The roads are superbly maintained and there's tons of great camping spots- just got to explore a little. I got the van up some gnarly stretch of road- just about high-centered it when I was trying to get past a huge rut in the road. Had to build a big rock ledge to get my wheel on to get out. Who needs a Syncro anyway? Attached is a pic of my campsite with a view. It was really sweet except all the garbage up there- but my girlfriend and I took care of a bunch of it. I'm definitely going to explore more of that region- it's beutiful. Glacier Peak wilderness I think.

[img] http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=223319 [/img]

Last edited by lilweasel on Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total
bigdood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME pic!! i miss that area, the view of rainier from my childhood house...

what about checking up in the straits? some good camping/surfing up there. maybe check the hoh rainforest, too.

lilweasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've done a bunch of camping in the Hoh an Quinalt- super areas too. So much exploring so little time...

View from your childhood house- not bad...
bigdood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, rainier wasn't as close as that obviously, but not a bad view to have!!

is that little hot dog shack still in elbe across from the train station? i used to always stop there and grab a dog on the way up or back from rainier. good stuff.

lilweasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about Scale Burgers- then yes. They've got great burgers from the time I ate there. A must if your on that road.
Old_Ben_Gun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Salt water camping Reply with quote

After living aboard a boat for six year I knew of and used many of the camping sites accesable by water only. Having bought a house this past year I am now bussy exploring sites both accesable by land and water. The is nothing better than setting up the van with a nice view of the water, a beach or shore and a boiling pot of dunginess crabs for dinner. In the right time of the year a walking trail might provide a nice harvest of berrys or the beach a good selection of oysers. For a starter check out Penrose Point State Park. It's in the Southern reaches of the Key Penninsula just past the town of Home.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: