Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mofoco
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagermanfolley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Mofoco Reply with quote

Has anyone ever got an engine from MOFOCO? What about Strickley Foreign in Grants Pass OR? Any feed back greatley appreciated

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aaron bagnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend I ride with bought a 1915 a couple of years ago from mofoco and it reallys screams!!he hasnt had a single problem.aaron
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mofoco is a decent company. I have ordered a few parts from them. There were a couple problems with my order, but in the end they made things right. First problem was losing my order. Second was forgetting to send a part. They resolved the issue both times. I would deal with them again.
_=VWBaja70=_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had Mark Wolter from Strictly Foreign build up a 1776. I'm pleased with the engine build and the price. Mark is a breeze to work with.

Shop: 541-862-7015

http://www.strictlyforeign.com

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fast67Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a vendor search on Mofoco they have had some bad press Shocked
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my dealings with Mofoco, I've always found them ready to stand behind their work. Bruce and Randy have treated me fairly.
myk648
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a new adjustable beam and tie rods from them. Couldn't be happier. Answered all of my questions before I purchased. I would buy from them again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 1776 from Strictly Foreign a few years back and it died immediately upon installing it in the car. I sent it back and they fixed it and I installed it and it died 5 months later. For good. We had problems resolving the thing, things happened, in the end it turned out I had to threaten to take him to court before he would resolve the situation with me. He gave me a sob story about not having money, it was hard times, why not take half the money that I spent on the engine and I don't get the engine back (he had sold the parts). By this time I just wanted to get it over with (I had been laid off and needed money) so I took half of the half in cash, the other $750 in parts, including a rebuilt trans. The trans lasted 50 miles and the starter bushing hole was so badly ovaled out that a bushing wouldn't fit in it. Which fried my starter. 50 miles later the trans broke, the VW mechanic I took it to said the main bolts had only been finger tightened, not torqued down, and the rest of the parts he gave me were also substandard. I would have been better off just losing the entire $3k I spent on the engine than to settle with the crap he gave me. So I will never, ever, ever recommend that anyone ever buy anything from Strictly Foreign.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TristanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_=VWBaja70=_ wrote:
I just had Mark Wolter from Strictly Foreign build up a 1776. I'm pleased with the engine build and the price. Mark is a breeze to work with.

Shop: 541-862-7015

http://www.strictlyforeign.com

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wouldn't buy sh@t from someone who threw on a see-through dizzy cap. Do you honestly need to see whats going on inside that distributor of yours?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a customer wants chrome and eye-candies on their motor, I will tell them they are on their own.

If you insist on putting bad parts in there, then do not expect any life from the motor.

One thing that I have learned not to do anymore is to accomodate what people can afford. Sometimes there is just not enough to do the work properly.

Run-of-the-mill is just that. Same with transmissions. I heard the $199 specials are just opened up and put back in...spraypainted by the tarmac 20 at a time. Laughing

Give Roy a call. He is a pretty stand up guy. Sometimes bad press is well propagated for all the wrong reasons.

A lot of it pilot-error too.

What are you trying to get anyway?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hava used mofoco a bunch of times in the past, roy has always helped me with any of the questions about their product or any other tech q's as well
they have fast shipping and always a good price, i just think people jump on the bandwagon of bashing a company for all the wrong reasons and probly have never dealt with them personally at all
mla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilt Type 1 trans for $399.00 outright and no core charge. Delevered within 5 busuness days. What more could one ask for. Many thanks. Very Happy
tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: MOFOCO Reply with quote

I bought a "rebuilt" 34pict3 from them after HotVW's did an article on their "wonderful" rebuilding skills. The carb took 2+ weeks to arrive and wouldn't run the engine. I disassembled the carb to find it was not rebuilt but seemed to be a core they had gotten. Carbon covered inside and out. They shipped another at my expense. Same thing. I will NEVER buy from them again. Bad customer service from the start. This was many years ago. Mabey they changed management and are a better outfit???
derv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO Reply with quote

tspot100 wrote:
I bought a "rebuilt" 34pict3 from them after HotVW's did an article on their "wonderful" rebuilding skills. The carb took 2+ weeks to arrive and wouldn't run the engine. I disassembled the carb to find it was not rebuilt but seemed to be a core they had gotten. Carbon covered inside and out. They shipped another at my expense. Same thing. I will NEVER buy from them again. Bad customer service from the start. This was many years ago. Mabey they changed management and are a better outfit???

Yes, they have - do a search and grab a sandwich.

Quote:
Mr. Hido: To post your bare ass to virtually all hardened bus enthusiasts casts thick, a slag not easily ground smooth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted here about them before. A few years ago, I needed a quick longblock to get a Bug out of a garage. They sent a POS motor with rubbing pushrods that ate the front seal within 2 minutes. They refused to do anything about it. The money finally came back through a Visa chargeback. Bruce no longer works with them so I expected things might have improved after reading many of Roy's posts. It didn't improve for me. Recently, I tried to buy some heads from them after reading that the castings looked good. The desk person was just an order taker and couldn't answer any questions. He kept saying that I needed to talk to Roy. Unfortunately, Roy was never there when I called and never bothered to return any calls. I bought my heads from Steve Tim. You want good service and good product, go to John at aircooled.net, Berg or Claudes.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWD wrote:
I have posted here about them before. A few years ago, I needed a quick longblock to get a Bug out of a garage. They sent a POS motor with rubbing pushrods that ate the front seal within 2 minutes. They refused to do anything about it. The money finally came back through a Visa chargeback. Bruce no longer works with them so I expected things might have improved after reading many of Roy's posts. It didn't improve for me. Recently, I tried to buy some heads from them after reading that the castings looked good. The desk person was just an order taker and couldn't answer any questions. He kept saying that I needed to talk to Roy. Unfortunately, Roy was never there when I called and never bothered to return any calls. I bought my heads from Steve Tim. You want good service and good product, go to John at aircooled.net, Berg or Claudes.

What's your name? I haven't gotten any messages to call anyone back recently that I haven't done. It is true that I haven't been around the phone as much because we are so busy with engine orders that I've been building most of the time. I apologize that I didn't get back to you but I never got any message. The best way to get a hold of me 100% of the time is to e-mail me or pm me. I may not get back to you instantly but I definately will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66busman
Samba Motorcyclist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a set of pistons and cylinders from mofoco, and no complaints. I've heard of people avoiding their annual show(bugfest in union grove, WI) because of past dealings, but like everyone else has mentioned, they have been getting better. No complaints, and I don't mid supporting a semi-local business rather than some far-off cali affair.
TWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad biz practices, shady deals, wrong parts etc can form a reputation that lasts for years... All I can say is that in the past few years Roy has not been hiding, has been present on this forum and seems to be trying to make all that "past" go away.

I have never ordered from Mofoco past or present but I do recognize his efforts to try to re gain trust and support in the VW biz/community.

Not many others have the fortitude to do so in open forums like he has.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtydeedss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered a "reconditioned beam" in the past from mofoco and havent had a problem with it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: