Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire Differences
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PO had 205 "General Ameriways" in the van.

It rode quite nice, until the sidewalls started to crack. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Which 205?

Common sizes are: 185-14 195-14 205-14 205/70-14

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, that was you that ordered tires...where did u get them mounted? did they charge you alot to mount them?

1980 VW Westfalia
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Why the 205s? Will they fit?

I plan on the 195s because I want to reduce my high way RPMs. 4K PRMs at 70 MPH sure is buzzy.

hey, 195....205...these numbers refer to the width of the tire, and will have no effect on the rpm you turn at a given speed. For that you want a tire with a larger diameter.
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a tire that is wider it will change the diameter and change you speedimeter slightly. It wont make a considerable difference, if any, on your highway rpms. Tires have three numbers for the size. A 195/75/14 means that the tires width is 195 millimeters, the 75 means that the sidewall measurement, from ground up to the rim, is 75% of the width (195) it is called the aspect ratio, and the last number 14 is the rim diameter. The vans take a 185/R/14, the R in the middle, wich is a metric sizing, actually means about 82 aspect ratio. If you get a wider tire you will be changing the diameter of the tire and your speedometer will be off. You can do some mixing up on the numbers. I have LT195/75/14 on my van which is about the same diameter as the stock size. If you wanted even wider than you could go with a 205/70/14 and get pretty close to the same diameter. Now when you start looking into lower profile tires there are even less options for a load range C tire. My tire is actually a light truck tire, very agressive but I dont here any more road noise over the sound of the van.
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, this is what I found out from some places here around town:

Wal-Mart: Special order Michelin Agilis 185R14 - $128/tire (includes mount)

Big O Tire: Special order Michelin Agilis 185R14 - $144/tire (includes mount)

Brian's Tire Factory: Special order Michelin Agilis 185R14 - They supposedly called Michelin and told me that the Agilis tire is discontinued (what??).
Special order Continental Vanco-8 185R14 - $84.74/tire (includes mount)
195R14 - $97.74/tire (includes mount)

Quigley's Tire Towne: Suppose to call me back.

So, based upon this info, I am probably going to get the Vanco-8's (195s, I think). I called these businesses specifically looking for the Agilis and the Vanco-8's.

1980 VW Westfalia
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is the Yokohama Y356 "SuperVan" The 185/14's were about $55 from Tire Rack and I paid about $20 each to have them mounted locally. I like them so far. One thing I noticed about the correct tires is that that steering is much quicker and lighter than with car tires. The Yok's didnt get a good snow revue, but here in beeUtiful east TN we dont get snow. It goes from 33o and raining to 31o and icing. Not much goes on ice.
cnskate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discount Tire and Les Schwab will match places like the TireRack's internet price with shipping. I think they are a little bit happier to do that than install tires you ordered elsewhere.
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the update on my tire situation. About 10 weeks after placing the order for the Continental Vanco8 (195/R14) tires, they finally came in and I had them mounted today. The difference in the ride is AMAZING!!!! It rides so much more smoothly and more solidly. Truly amazing! I have only put on about 5 miles on the tires and I am sooooo impressed!! I highly recommend them!

I ordered them from Brian's Tire Factory. The cost was a little high (if to do over again, I'd order them from TireRack.com), but really worth it!

Total cost = $538.91

I was expecting around $400-$450, but I guess I didn't figure in the $80 in freight. Anyone know, off hand, how much freight is through TireRack?

Oh, and FYI, the tires were made in the Czech Republic (printed on the tire). But they are still German engineered!

1980 VW Westfalia
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confession; I thought you guys were being tire snobs, "You need LT tires, or 8 ply monster side wall tires". I bought a parts Westy a few weeks ago, it had Light Truck tires on it. I swapped them onto my Westy. I kick myself for buying cheap tires. These Vans were made to roll on some real rubber. I promise anybody tire shopping, you will not regret getting some stiff tires that fit the van.
Fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good! After much research I am going with the Michelin LTX 195/75R/14. They rate out the best when all things are considered. AND Costco has them for an out the door price of $420, (with current $60 off a set of four) gotta like that! Discount tire said they would beat Costco's price by $20 but for the extra twent I'd rather be able to hang out in Costco each time I want my tires balanced and rotated as opposed to any tire shop I've ever been in.

Cheers,
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Tires Reply with quote

Greetings, `Ive been told that the Michelin Agellis tires have been discontinued, BUT they sold the mold rights to a company that will bring them back as a "classic tire". All that means is more money.
I wanted to purchase the Continental Vanco 8's for my Westy, but I wasent going to pay $90.00 for shipping .Theyve been on back order in Reno for months and months and months.
I finally settled on the Yokohamas Y356LT in the 185/75/R14,D load rating. I bought five of them from BigO and they matched Tire Racks price AND it works out about the same. If I bought from Tire Rack and had them shipped to a
BigO store they would charge $25.00 per tire to mount and balance. Buying through BigO ( 90 days same as cash) they mount and balance and give ya tire stems as part of the price.
Im having HD Bilsteins shocks installed at the same time.Nice deal at Bus Depot.
Im interested in hearing from those riding on the Yokohamas as to what tire pressure you are running..... Do you have the same pressure all around or do you run the rears a bit higher??
As a side note to anyone planning on a tire purchase, please keep in mind that a Westy comes in at 6000 lbs and it takes a special kind of tire to handle the weight and tire distribution of such a heavy vehicle, so keep you and your families safety in mind when choosing your tires.
Happy and safe trails to all,
Robert
stumpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

I am about to order new tires, but am notsure of the size. I don't want that skinny look. Know what I mean?? I'am am running 205's now, but they look like dougnuts,but ride nice. Walmart gave me a price of 117.00 per. I know you can get them cheaper. When I do make the plung I will let WMart mount them, there price is hard to beat. What sizes are you guys running??
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

RCB wrote:

I finally settled on the Yokohamas Y356LT in the 185/75/R14,D load rating.

Are you sure about this size??

The correct size is 185R14 with NO middle aspect number.

185/75R14 is a smaller tire.......

The comparable size to the correct 185R14 is 195/75R14.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just ordered today the continental vanco 8...went to discount and they gave me a high price but when I showed them that tire rack was selling them for 56 bucks they agreed to match the price, and 10 $ each to mount them...
The set comes in at 309 $ incl tax etc.......
Good rating on these tires. D instead of C rating, to 1874 pounds...
The tires on my 85 were put on aug 1996. 9 years! and they honestly look like they could go at least another year or more. Just a little over 70,000 miles on them..they are michelin LTX 195/75 m+s....they've been great but are only rated to 1435#.....
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased Michelin Agilis 215-65 15 less than a month ago, local shop had to order them, took about a week. Great investment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi,

Why didn't you go for the 195's?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Tires Reply with quote

Greetings Carl, Your right, thankx for the correction. I wouldnt want to stear anyone in the wrong direction especially for such an important item as a tire.
I appreciate you reading my posting and replying in a timely manner.
Happy and safe weekend to all,
Robert
vandukw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: anyone have uniroyal laredo tires? Reply with quote

had new uniroyal laredo when I bought it, 6 ply, anyone think I would see improvement if I switch to vanco's ?
vw_nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I know it.. sipes are for traction on ice

I worked at a volvo shop up north and we only sold nokia(n) tires... one year they came out with the "Q" with the sipes as an ice tire. If you listened carefully, it sounded like a little deck of cards shuffling as you drove.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: