Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 hp rebuild, thoughts?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAM Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
I was hoping I wasnt the only one with the issues of more than one cylinder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial reply from Ron at WW:

Ron wrote:
Greg,
VW changed the case in 1965, as they added larger "webbing" to reinforce the case. You will need to grind the case slightly in this region in order to mount this in the late 40hp style case. If you are not comfortable with the modification, we can arrange to pick the items up from you and we will provide you with full credit.
Regards,
Ron

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab

Last edited by gerg on Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grind the case or give 'em back.....not sure what exactly my response to that would be.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to spend some time with our local VW resident expert this evening on some cam / crank gear issues I am having and I plan to take the pistons with me to see what he thinks too. Just looking for more opinions . . .clearancing the case would seem to be less work, certainly less precise than keeping 4 pistons both symetrical and weighted the same. I do have a pretty neat template for the pistons if I go that route though.
Reconsidering the Engle 100 cam also, with stock rockers - rather than stock cam with 1.25 rockers. For some reason most everyone frowns on the 100 cam & 1.25 rockers, since I am using 373 '65 singleport heads. Apparently not enough throat to feed the combo.

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as for me, like I said I'm just going to put my set on the shelf for which time I might need them in the future. And who knows, I might want to put them on an assembled short block or something where I might want to slap them on with no hassles. So I'll reshape the skirts.

andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy - I understand you concerns. We may wind up doing that - I have a few hours into getting my template as precise as possible, just entertaining all ideas. I'll follow up with what we do . . . and Ron replied to my second email:

Ron wrote:
Greg,
I'm not sure exactly how much clearance is needed, however I was told by a mechanic that the clearance should be performed on the case webbing in the region of the #1 and #3 cylinders. I'm not sure exactly on the clearance measurement, sorry!!
Ron

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still curious as to how Mahle produced this repro kit. Generic 83mm blanks of some kind, modified for to fit general 40HP specs? What ever happened to the tooling that produced this kit???

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me man - but I would bet that all the people that are having this problem are NOT all using '65 40 horse cases. Ron stated it was a 40 horse case change in '65 were the webbing got reinforced. What year is the case you pictured above? A '65 case should start with a 9, possibly (in some claims) high 8s also.

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
DAM Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,
I dont think it was a 65 thing. My case number is 6768922, which is earlier than 65 I think.

Erik
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya - that looks like maybe a '62 or '63 block . . don't have the chart in front of me to verify.

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, that case I took the picture of, IS in fact a 1965 block. I don't think the other case I have down in the basement is also a 1965. I like the larger "D" shaped oil fill opening on 1965's better, so that's how I ended up with them.

andy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: