Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type4 in a type3 mounting
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Type4 in a type3 mounting Reply with quote

Well, since Tomnotch suggested it, "Mounts should be a seperate topic.
and I have something to share on them." here goes.

I'm putting in a 2.0L t-4 into my AT equipped 69 Square, so should I use a bus style trans mount (hung above the trans)? Or can I modify the t-3 engine hanger bar to bolt directly to the rear of the engine (like a t-3 does), and hang it like a stock type3 engine? I've heard that the t-4 shouldn't carry any weight, and this seems kinda strange. I thought the engine case was supposed to be stronger than a t-1/t-3 engine case. Rolling Eyes Any suggestions are appreciated. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do both. suspend the trans, and use the rear hanger. On the original T-4, the front of the tranny was just plugged into a socket with a rubber thingy. (Kinda like the rear hanger on an early T-3) It needed the middle and the rear hanger.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rokcrln
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type4 is a stronger block and lower end not mount system. I plan on using the stock trans tubes (1964) and adding a rear engine mount. The way I see it is, it is easy to fab up a rear mount but hard to repair a broken case. I plan to run a 2.3 to 2.5L turbo and a 901 5spd (on its way) so I would rather go tward the side of over built. Also I will be building a 8-10 point cage and the rear engine mount will tie into that as well.

Kevin
05 Tube frame rockcrawler
04 Mini Cooper S
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
I would do both. suspend the trans, and use the rear hanger. On the original T-4, the front of the tranny was just plugged into a socket with a rubber thingy. (Kinda like the rear hanger on an early T-3) It needed the middle and the rear hanger.

Yeah, I'll probably go that route, since I've got both IRS and AT (no trans support tubes). I might have to study Tom's Notch more closely, as I had thought about putting this engine into a MT car at a later date, as I've already got the 210mm flywheel (with t-1 style pilot bearing installed in it) and the matching 210mm clutch assembly. I think I'll try to set up that "mid mount" as a bolt in, that way I can swap it over at a later date if I choose. Twisted Evil Thanks for the help. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vw4life269s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the rear engine bar off a type 2 on my block and then made some T-bars,to copy the stock type 3 rubber mount but made these solid. Then used a spacer about 1 inch between the engine bar and stock type 3 mounts.MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE ENGINE BAR PARALLEL WITH THE FAN SCHROUD,THAT WAY THE RUBBER MOUNTS ON THE ENGINE BAR ARE CORRECT !Then what I did was run a bar parallel to the engine lid were the engine lid 2 notches go in.And then drilled straight down and put 2 type 2 mounts bolted to it and then ran bars from the engine bell housing to the rubber mounts.Like this \ and /. Those help from the engine from rocking from side to side. Those mount on a type 4 are to stop the engine from swaying from side to side not to HOLD UP th engine! Thats how the type 4 was!.Anyone with a type 4 can see.What I measured was how far down the stock type 3 mounts go from where they bolt to where they bolt to the stock type 3 engine bar.THAT way it would have the engine cooling ducting or bellow lined up for the intake boot.I have pictures.Just have to get them scanned this weekend at kinkos or somewhere. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw4life269s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, make sure you have the motor not twisted when you are lining everything up, check that at the front tranny mount, you can tell in the rubber if its twisted. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I ended up looking in my green Bentley (68 to 74 Bus) at how VW did it in a bus. It gave me a few ideas on how I'm going to fab something up. At least now with everyone's help and advice I know I need to build 2 brackets, one for the engine, and onefor the trans. Thanks. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: