Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve Noise
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Valve Noise Reply with quote

My 1982 Westfalia is exhibiting what I interpret to be very loud valve noise. Will I damage the engine by driving the vehicle? I need to get it to the shop.

Thanks
1979 Yamaha DT 175
1995 Toyota 4Runner
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of mine hammered so loud it scared me to drive it too. Put in a couple ounces of concentrated lifter- free-something and drove it <50 miles, gave it a fresh oil & filter change and haven't been bothered since.
Mine tends to sit too long between drives (once a week).
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only if the noise don't go way after driving for 20 / 30 min. it takes a long time for the lifters to bleed out .
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fix that.

1) Mahle/Mann or Wix filters only as they have a check valve. Clean oil is a good thing.

2) Make sure that the hydraulic lifters are correctly "zeroed out" . Do that when you first get the bus and then every 15,000 miles or if they get noisy. General consenus is about 1 - 1.5 mms (1mm=1 complete turn)after zero has been established.

3) Sometimes the lifters just get "air locked" especially if the car has not been used for a while. If they don't pump up, they may need to be "bench bled" (filled up with oil) and reinstalled or sometimes the lifter actually gets replaced. Nice rap on doing that in the Baywindow FAQs and also at www.bostonengine.com Baywindows have the same set up from 78 on until the 83 AC vanagon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this......

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/HydraulicLifters.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT ARTICLE. That's a must read, or at least, put in our sticky of URLs

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
vw4life269s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello fellow type 4 engine owners. I have a 79 GE block in my type 3 with 1974 type 4 heads and 1980 vanagon F.I. on it and just adjusted the valves with it cold and I got compression at 150psi at all ecept #3. then I thought let me check them when they are hot so that way it is more accurate. Well now it sounds like it is wrongly adjusted and when I drive it it sounds like I need to adjust them again. I noticed that when I was adjusting them I saw the rocker arm moving in the direction meaning that the pushrod was pushing in the lifter and not the valve opening! And I thought that since it was hot and just ran that the lifters would be filled, but guess not! So I am going to adjust the lifters this weekend, and aso noticed that the engine wont start when its hot unless I step on the pedal when I start it so that way its at 1000rpm then back off the throttle then it idles ok.any info would be great help.----------------------------------------------------------I do love this engine conversion and love the type 4 power. I dynoed it at 83 hp TO THE WHEELS and 101 tq in my squareback at my school at U.T.I. Laughing
vw4life269s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea, the size is 2056 type 4 71 mm stroke,96mm bore
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Bad Lifter Reply with quote

While adjusting the valves we found that one of the #3 lifters was bad. It bled down with out being under pressure. I have had frequent lifter noise. Which would go away for the most part. So I decided to adjust the valves. Had to use one of those replacement push rod tubes. Ouch. We'll see how this works out.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very loud lifter too. I doesn't go away even after my 45 min. commute. My mechanic says that it is normal, but i just can't see how two metal surfaces hitting each other can be a good thing. Should I try one of the oil additives, or just go straight to the adjustment deal? Anyone have any advice?

FYI: '89 2.1L

Thanks
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: A noisy lifter fix. Reply with quote

I too have had a frequently noisy lifter. It would go away after a while. As you may know, I also replaced a lifter and was in quiet bliss for a month or so. But, even after adjusting the valves a bit differently, I still had one tick every now and then, especially on short errand related trips. Drive a short distance quietly and then start it up again and tick, tick, tick. What to do?

I hate to add additive things to my car. Most of the stuff is just snake oil as far as I am concerned. But, I may have a common oil that could help you. I had just changed oil (German Mahle filter and Castorl GTX 20/50) and still had a noisy lifter. It stayed noisy. So at the suggestion of both my master mechanic dad and brother, I poured in some of the mystery oil. Normally I can never get a noisey lifter to quiet just driving around town. But, about 10 minutes after putting this oil in, it was quiet. It has stayed quiet. It makes no more noise in the morning, like it used to. I have NO LIFTER NOISE. WOO HOO! Can you guess what this stuff is?

Marvel Mystery Oil.

Magine that. Stuff is old as the hills. Worked for me, I am happy. I only used a little bit. About 4 ounces or so, even though more was suggested. It worked for me and is nice and quiet. Does it get any better than this?

doggerel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct Sir. That Marvel Mystery Oil is good stuff.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: