Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chrysler to build VW Vans?????
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Chrysler to build VW Vans????? Reply with quote

Anybody else see the article in the Wall Street Journal a couple of days ago about VW and Chryser being in "advanced talks" about Chrysler building a VW van in the US? They talk about the problems VW is having with labor, exchange rate and sales. It actually might be a way to get a van back into this country. Speak up if you know any more.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
deschutestrout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they're going to build German quality split and bay buses....I don't see myself rushing to a Chrysler dealer any time soon Wink Wink
'78 Westy "'Ole Red...The Happy Camper"
'78 Westy "The Big Turd"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daimler and Volkswagen Planning a Minivan
By MARK LANDLER

FRANKFURT, Aug. 23 - Germany's two largest carmakers, Volkswagen and DaimlerChrysler, are in advanced talks about jointly building a new minivan for the American market, executives at the companies said Tuesday.

The deal, likely to be announced next month at the Frankfurt auto show, would give Volkswagen a major lift in its effort to turn around its dismal fortunes in the United States. It would also increase production at DaimlerChrysler's two North American plants that make minivans.

The vehicle would be based on the design of the Chrysler Town and Country and the Dodge Caravan, but would have features unique to Volkswagen, these people said. It could go on sale by 2007.

Joint ventures in car production are becoming increasingly common, as carmakers try to defray the costs of developing new models and to respond more quickly to changing consumer tastes.

For Volkswagen - troubled by plunging sales in the United States because of aging models, quality problems and the disappointing debut of the new Jetta - the deal is a first step toward stabilizing its position.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/24/business/worldbusiness/24minivan.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Chrysler Reply with quote

What a wonderfull caring company.
http://www.daimlerchryslervehicleproblems.com/
david a.
Samba Artist/Designer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like we need another minivan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

static wrote:
For Volkswagen - troubled by plunging sales in the United States because of aging models, quality problems and the disappointing debut of the new Jetta

What an ugly new model that Jetta is.
iggi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

static wrote:
Daimler and Volkswagen Planning a Minivan

For Volkswagen - troubled by plunging sales in the United States because of aging models, quality problems and the disappointing debut of the new Jetta - the deal is a first step toward stabilizing its position.

Quality problems, really?
Funny how if you burn enough of your buyers they don't come running back after unloading the last lemon you sold them.

Don't think you'll see me in the line-up for a new vw van.. especially one based on the Chrysler Minivan platform.

I am not entirely sure how corporate VW believes that making vehicles even less distinquishible from the crowd is going to stabilize their position.
If anything it will continue to isolate owners even from their old brand allegience and leave them free to check out what the competition has.

Just my opinion..
Held together by love, hard work and a little help from my friends.
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
static wrote:
For Volkswagen - troubled by plunging sales in the United States because of aging models, quality problems and the disappointing debut of the new Jetta

What an ugly new model that Jetta is.

You mean the Toyota Corolla look alike? Tell me this http://www.toyota.com/corolla/exterior.html

doesn't look like this http://www.vw.com/jetta/photos_ext.html

What happened to that German styling? VW has some serious work to do.

Holy crap. Just noticed the new Jetta doesn't even come with the VR6 as an option anymore. What a joke. Rolling Eyes The only good thing about my '00 Jetta was the VR6.

VW Campmobile, it goes on vacation with you.
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH BOY A VOLKSWAGEN CARAVAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to be the dissenting opinion here. Our main "family car" is a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, the third Caravan we've owned. Our last one was a 1996, that we traded in after 126,000 miles of reliable service.

Every time I drive our new one, I think about how VW-ish it is. Versatile, innovative (especially with the Stow-N-Go seats), safe, efficient (we got 26mpg at 70-75mph from the 3.8L V6 on a trip to the east coast), and unassuming. I think about how different things would have been if VW had chosen to build a Caravan-like vehicle instead of the Vanagon back in 1980....

Today's automotive industry is an incestuous marketing machine - trying to outsource or joint-venture every mechanical piece possible, then selling the public on the uniqueness of their "brand". It's a sad state of affairs, but that's how the game is played.

In that context, this assouncement makes perfect sense.

Given the choice to have a Dodge Grand Caravan sitting in our garage or the exact same vehicle with a VW logo, I'm sure I'd choose the VW version. Assuming there are other people out there that would do the same thing, that may be all the motivation VW needs to announce a plan like this.

Don

1978 Westy
1971 Super Beetle Convertible

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J.R.R. Tolkien
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I guess I'll have to be the dissenting opinion here. Our main "family car" is a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, the third Caravan we've owned. Our last one was a 1996, that we traded in after 126,000 miles of reliable service.

126k is standard for modern vehicles. Actually, 200k is a more appropriate lifespan nowadays not counting minor crap.

VW/Audi has been selling junk for years. Dodge doesn't exactly have a stellar rep either, though the styling of their vehicles is still winning people over. VW/Audi stuff just looks like everything else on the road.
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the 126K. We debated quite a bit about whether to trade up or not, because the van really had NO mechanical issues that were pushing us to dump it.

Don

1978 Westy
1971 Super Beetle Convertible

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J.R.R. Tolkien
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanna know why we never got the Sharan.
http://images.google.com/images?q=VW%20Sharan&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wi
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

static wrote:
I just wanna know why we never got the Sharan.
http://images.google.com/images?q=VW%20Sharan&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wi

Did you WANT it? Twisted Evil

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
rccbusfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its really cool how Chrysler and GM have revived some nostalgic body designs. Could you imagine a new older looking bus? My grandfather (has had all kinds of vw's) has a turbo diesel jetta and bought it new a couple years ago. He says it does 90 like nothing and is getting right at 40 mpg.
LudwigUSA
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the bright side. We might get a VW van again in the US. I've owned every style of van VW has made, except the Eurovan. Let's face it, they just blew it on that model. If you have ever driven the Chryler minivan and the Eurovan, you'll see why the Eurovan doesn't sell...it is like driving a Ford truck.

Although I bleed VW blood every times I rap my knuckles yanking off air cooled tin, I would jump on the right van made in a Chrylser plant to VW specs with a VW logo and Westy interior.

It is now a world auto business where all players mix it up to survive. With VW labor and exchange problems, they have to do someting. They simply cannot compete in the North American market building cars in Germany. A USED T5 Westy diesel in Europe sell for 55,000 Euros, that's over $70,000....something has to change to bring this car back!
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
jereandjess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how that Sharan has a stick shift. There are not too many, if any, mini vans out there that are manual!
69 Beetle - In the family since new
86 Wolfsburg Vanagon Camper "Weekender" since July 25, 2015
westy demi-god
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Chrysler T&C minivan, 2001, for my wife to drive. In a couple of years when it hits 100K and the extended warranty ends, it's gonna be gone. I'd love to replace it with a VW-badged minivan. And, it's not far-fetched to believe that although there would be platform sharing the engines would be crated VW mills assembled in Der Vaterland. My watercooled VW mechanicals have not only lasted into the 200,000 mi range, but were running like new at that age. It seems that american engines and transmissions self-destruct at ~120,000 mi.
MySpace
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westy78 wrote:
You mean the Toyota Corolla look alike? Tell me this http://www.toyota.com/corolla/exterior.html

doesn't look like this http://www.vw.com/jetta/photos_ext.html

What happened to that German styling? VW has some serious work to do.

I think the VW looks like the Toyota after a good beating with the ugly stick. It's a shame too. The last generation Jetta was a sharp looking car.

[email protected] wrote:
Given the choice to have a Dodge Grand Caravan sitting in our garage or the exact same vehicle with a VW logo, I'm sure I'd choose the VW version.

That way you would know you have the same vehicle, exept it's backed up by the shitty service VWOA dealers have become famous for.
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I just won't ever find interest in a mini van. Seems like it might be a decent vehicle, but I'm just set on having my '78 bus and no car payment/ high insurance/ etc. that comes from owning a new vehicle.

Can't understand why that Jetta was a disappointment at all. Embarassed In truth, the Toyota and Volkswagen cars look very similar. It's a sea of same looking lackluster designs out there. It makes our bay buses stand out even more so! Long live bays!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: