Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

andre b wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
Here is the Power King 670x15 mounted on my spare:

those look great..have you put it on the bus yet to see ho it looks?

Nope, just have it as my spare. I run the Thunderer tires on the bus but they don't fit in the spare tire well. These are about the same height (a tad bigger) so it works as a good spare. I bet they would look sweet on a bus but I think the Radial's would probably still have a better overall ride.
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

The thunder rangers..i did not like the look of em at all..i returned them and went with the 195/80 .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

andre b wrote:
The thunder rangers..i did not like the look of em at all..i returned them and went with the 195/80 .

That's the same size as I run with the Thunderer's (195R15C). The Achilles is a great tire, I'm sure they will work great for you. I'm just happy we have a few affordable choices for 15" Radial tires.
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
andre b wrote:

That's the same size as I run with the Thunderer's (195R15C). The Achilles is a great tire, I'm sure they will work great for you. I'm just happy we have a few affordable choices for 15" Radial tires.
ya.i know right!!It's still hard for me to Run a radial tire on a early bus..i just want a good solid ride..with out hubbering over the steering wheel!!Which I think I finally found..i hope..lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Just purchased these tires as per page 16!!! They are 59 bucks a tire! Shipping wasnt bad like 39 bucks? Finally stoked to be able to afford proper tires. Hopefully the ride wont suffer...will post when installed.
https://simpletire.com/catalog/product/104833
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
Just purchased these tires as per page 16!!! They are 59 bucks a tire! Shipping wasnt bad like 39 bucks? Finally stoked to be able to afford proper tires. Hopefully the ride wont suffer...will post when installed.
https://simpletire.com/catalog/product/104833

You will love these tires, they really do ride great and are the proper stock height and sidewall strength.
hydro50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I will be purchasing either the Rangers or the Achilles in the next few weeks. I need the diameter of each to dial in tranny gearing and engine build. Any accurate diameter would be helpful?
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I will measure what ever you want. currently running the thunder ranger tires. Not only did it get rid of the side jerkyness, it also got rid of the jumpy ride in 1st gear. ordering a spare cause I forgot........I really didnt expect these tires to ride this good compared to car tires. Right now the front end pops up when I gass it. I thought I was imagining the crisp response. Made me feel as if I gave the engine more hp. No more torque loading of the tire.
No more passenger car tires on my bus.........EVER!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
I will measure what ever you want. currently running the thunder ranger tires. Not only did it get rid of the side jerkyness, it also got rid of the jumpy ride in 1st gear. ordering a spare cause I forgot........I really didnt expect these tires to ride this good compared to car tires. Right now the front end pops up when I gass it. I thought I was imagining the crisp response. Made me feel as if I gave the engine more hp. No more torque loading of the tire.

I've had that exact same experience on later buses when using the correct 185R-14 C rated tires and the right inflation. the difference is about as great as putting in air or running flat! Well, not quite... I don't believe one will get anywhere near that performance with bias plies.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
hydro50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:

Quartermile, thanks for the offer to measure and the report on your rangers! I went ahead and bought the Achilles LTRs on Amazon with free shipping. They are mounted on the rims and inflated, the diameter is 27-1/4".

Not roadworthy yet but looking forward to a solid ride?

tk
Mr. Bungle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

all right...i've read this thread and lots of others and i'm doing the "what tires to get" dance and have some questions... Very Happy

does anyone have a lead on some thin whitewall tires with load range C or D that are either 195r15 or 205/75r15 (overall diameter approx 27"s, close to stock)?

the best thin whitewalls i can find are 205/75 15's, 97S, rated at approx 1600lbs, load range B.

after all the reading i've done it seems that for drivability & handling load range C or D is the way to go. i've also chatted with some folks that run load range B tires on their buses and are ok with them and say they work fine!

i love the look of the thin whitewalls, but my plan is to put some serious miles on my bus...city, highway, flat roads, curvy roads, maybe a few dirt roads...it's going to be a road tripping/camping machine and i wont be afraid of taking it on +/- 500 mile trips...so function > form...

any leads and/or ideas are appreciated!

quartermilecamel wrote:

i've been following this thunderer ranger chat and you (and others) make a good case!

how many miles do you have on these (highway? curvy roads? passed by big rigs? etc?) if it's not too much trouble can you measure the overall mounted & inflated diameter for me? also, pics would be cool too (close up, side view of bus & 3/4 view of bus on level ground...or whatever you have). any help is appreciated!

cheers!

Cool

Zundfolge Car Club

Stock Motor Challenge website
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

50 miles and craving more. only thing Im not sure of yet is how much pressure is good in each...........they hold up to 65psi
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
50 miles and craving more. only thing Im not sure of yet is how much pressure is good in each...........they hold up to 65psi

My experience with bays and Vanagons, (the last were Thunderer rangers and ALL were 185R-14C for about 500,000 miles) were that more load needs more air, but all worked better with more air in the back than in the front. Bays more than Vanagons. and that figures- Vanagons have more weight on the front. So Vanagons I go about 38/44 F/R, about 10 psi difference on Bays 34/44, perhaps. Weight bias on a Splittie is similar to a bay. So, Id start there with inflation 34/44 front/ rear
I do know this- if it gets backwards I can really tell it. IOW,if I have a low rear tire, even say 25psi and the front 34, it starts to feel squirrely in crosswinds. With lots of air, one can feel every pebble/ crack in the road. but you need pressure if you are running heavy.
Hopefully in a short time I will have my 56 driving so have some real world experience with splitties!
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
RUSS914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Yep. Love the Thunderer rangers. I have them on rear with a set of Kumos on the front.

The rangers are awesome especially for the price.

I have about 100miles on them. They do help the truck feel a bit more stable.

Russell
Rob R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I have 205/75-15 BFG Long Trail TA's on stock wheels on my 1963 double cab. They fit great. I test fit them on a 1959 single cab and there was no way I could get them on the rear of the single cab. They were too wide to fit between the flat fender and the top of the brake drum.
How tight of a fit is the Achilles LTR 195 80 15 on the rear of an early bus?
Thanks Rob
hydro50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
How tight of a fit is the Achilles LTR 195 80 15 on the rear of an early bus?
Thanks Rob

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once bolted on, the gap is about 1-3/8", when single cab is jacked up from the jack point, there're is just enough room (it rubs) to angle the inflated tire onto the hub.
Rob R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Thanks for the great pictures. I ordered one tire and will see how it fits. I'm building this single cab for friends if it doesn't fit I will get Firestone 6.40 X 15 bias Plys
camerod
Volksfab

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I've been running these Michelin LT195R/15 tires on my '56 Single cab for a few weeks now. So far I love them. Can't beat the price for a quality brand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-195-15-Michelin-Agil...1438.l2649
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Whoa! Agilis where impossible to find in the past. What country of build? They are new, I assume? They are bulletproof tires.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

yes. i thought they unobtanium also. All of my cars get Michelins
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 31

Jump to: