Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edgar64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the revs. and getting pushed around. I'll go back to the shop and see what else they suggest.

Thanks,
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Buying 15 inch tires Reply with quote

I have a 66 Deluxe that I use for daily driving spring, summer, and fall here in Canada. I load it up sometimes. I have driven it across the country several times.

I have been running Toyo Spectrum 205/70-15 tires for the last 25,000 miles and they are approaching the wear bars on the front tires. Time for new tires. I have read all the conversation on this thread and most of the "large meat" thread, and there is a diversity of opinions. My choices locally seem to be:

1) A good passenger car tire (good for 1500+ pounds) such as a Nokian eNTYRE or Cooper CS4, available here for about $500 for 4 mounted and balanced.
2) An 8-ply tire for about twice that
3) Doing it the American way from a retailer like Tire Rack, drop shipping to a US border town, and then dealing with transportation, customs, and local installation.

I am leaning toward a 205/75-15 because that tire diameter is closest to the stock 7.00 - 14 that came on the bus. Considerably wider though. I wouldn't mind dropping the revs 3 or 4% over the 205/70-15 tires on now. Based on the experience of others on the Samba, the 75 series tires should not cause a problem with clearances.

The cost is not the prime issue. These tires will likely outlast my use of the bus, given my current annual mileage. However, if I am going to pay much more for light truck tires, I would like it to be for a discernible advantage.

Some of you have made these choices recently. Any advice?
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: 205/75 - 15 tires Reply with quote

In the end I bought 205/75 - 15 Cooper Discoverers. I could not get my local distributors to find me a 6 ply tire without additional shipping costs added to their already high prices. I like the Coopers. They ride quietly and have a more aggressive tread than the Toyos I had on previously. I am getting some scraping when I turn hard right in parking lots on the right front, but never on the left, curiously. I have not tried them out yet with a good load on.

Given this experience, I would probably buy 205/70 - 15 for the front. or maybe for both front and back, if I were to do it again.
DavidKvapil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have any issues with a 205/75-15. I would check all the leaves in your beam for any broken ones and replace them. You should be able to fit at least a 215/75-15 on it and not rub, as that's what I'm running on my '62, and I have never even come close to rubbing on some pretty intense dirt roads.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Tire contact Reply with quote

The tire doesn't contact the sheet metal above (which would be spring-related) but touches the back of the fender well on the edge of the turned tire. A previous owner had done some welding on the cross member there years ago. It may be that it is pushed forward from its stock position by 1/4" and that is the reason for the sporadic contact.
DavidKvapil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that is the typical point of contact for larger tires. I would still check out the leaves in your beam. I have put tires as large as 7.00-15 on all four corners of my stock height bus and was able to drive it around moderately without any rubbing, and that's a 29.8" tire. With 205/75's you should have at least an inch and a half of clearance at rest with the wheel turned in any direction.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone buy 205/75/15s or 195R15s recently?

I was going to order some Cooper Discoverers in 205/75/15 but it looks like they don't make a Load Range C tire anymore.

The ones available are Cooper Discoverer HT.
Load range is "97S" which appears to be less than C and is a passenger car rating, not a light truck (LT) rating?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erlawson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tire Easy has several 195R15 still listed that are load range D (this is what I have on my bus), but nothing with the aggressive tread of the Cooper.

Eddie

TOOB Member #13
BSQUARE wrote:
...When bugs mature, they become type 3s.

Ghostwagens
tev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett,

I bought the Nexen SV820s for my 60 westy a few months ago and I'm pretty happy with them. I was looking for something similar to my old Cooper Discoverer 195/75R15 (load range C) and this is actually pretty close. If you compare the Discoverer tread to the Nexen, you can see a very basic similarity in the pattern. I kinda think Nexen ripped off the Coopers. I'm very happy with em so far.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tire-easy.com link.

I am looking at those Nexen's too, they look good and I do like the idea of a straight 195R15.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a set of the Cooper Trendsetters (205-75-15/ 1598lbs rating) on my 61 when I had it. A prety nice tire, but IMO it really didnt have the side wall support that I wanted. At freeeway speed and in heavy cross winds you could feel the sidewalls flexing it seems to me. The SV820s are the tire Iam looking at for my next set, I have seen them on a early SC and they didnt seem to have any clearnce issues and the owner raved about them.(HA HA went back and read thru this thread, I gave sorta the same review back in 2005)
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidKvapil wrote:
You shouldn't have any issues with a 205/75-15. I would check all the leaves in your beam for any broken ones and replace them. You should be able to fit at least a 215/75-15 on it and not rub, as that's what I'm running on my '62, and I have never even come close to rubbing on some pretty intense dirt roads.
did those 215/75 15's have any clearence issues in the rear. you do have the earlier wheelwells front and back right?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I am looking at those Nexen's too, they look good and I do like the idea of a straight 195R15.

I have ordered a set of Nexens. They have not arrived yet but I wanted to post an update in case anyone is in the market right now.

I found a cheaper source than http://www.tires-easy.com/
I went on the Nexen Tire site at http://www.nexentireusa.com/ and looked up a local Nexen Tire Dealer. They were able to order the SV820s for me straight to their store. Same price as online. The downside is that it could take up to 2 weeks. Upside is I do not have to pay any shipping ($60 for a set of 4 to AZ) by ordering them online. I will have to pay tax but tires-easy.com was charging tax too, at least to AZ as that is the law because they have a physical distribution warehouse here... which doesn't allow pick ups, I asked.
jpstine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I have ordered a set of Nexens. They have not arrived yet but I wanted to post an update in case anyone is in the market right now.

I went on the Nexen Tire site at http://www.nexentireusa.com/ and looked up a local Nexen Tire Dealer. They were able to order the SV820s for me straight to their store. Same price as online. The downside is that it could take up to 2 weeks. Upside is I do not have to pay any shipping ($60 for a set of 4 to AZ) by ordering them online. I will have to pay tax but tires-easy.com was charging tax too, at least to AZ as that is the law because they have a physical distribution warehouse here... which doesn't allow pick ups, I asked.

I have been working a source here in Tucson. There price is a little higher than online. would you PM me the name of the place your getting yours. I'M VERY INTERESTED on how these tires are gong to work for you.
Regards

1960 SO-23 Westy
1974 Ghia Vert
1970 Ghia Hardtop
1962 FC150 Willys
1950 GR22 Massy Harris
1945 VAC Case
islandveedub Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 60 doublecab with a big nut trans and Cooper Discoverer 205/75/15 tires on stock 15" wheels. I have a problem getting the tire off the rear and ended up dropping the axle off the spring plate to get it off. Even letting the air out of the tires didn't help. Is it the combination of earlier bus with big nut trans that give this problem, or is this common with all 205 tires even on a small nut trans?

I would really like to have a tire that I could take off and put back on without the extra hassle. I can't imagine getting a flat and having to drop the axle on the side of the road. Anyone have a good tire recommendation, or should I look for a small nut trans? Switch to bias ply?

60 Doublecab
62 23 Window Walkthrough Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islandveedub wrote:
I have a 60 doublecab with a big nut trans and Cooper Discoverer 205/75/15 tires on stock 15" wheels. I have a problem getting the tire off the rear and ended up dropping the axle off the spring plate to get it off. Even letting the air out of the tires didn't help. Is it the combination of earlier bus with big nut trans that give this problem, or is this common with all 205 tires even on a small nut trans?

I would really like to have a tire that I could take off and put back on without the extra hassle. I can't imagine getting a flat and having to drop the axle on the side of the road. Anyone have a good tire recommendation, or should I look for a small nut trans? Switch to bias ply?

With that tire width, the bigger brake drums that come with a big nut tranny, and the more compact wheel wells of an early bus all conspire to make tire R&R difficult. Skinnier tires would help, but they are a little tough to find in an aggressive tread like the Discoverer.

That said, I had 195R15 Discoverers on my 57 standard with a big nut trans and did not have any issues. These tires are slightly narrower than your 205's, but sadly are no longer available.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it must be the big nut because the 205s on my small-nut '61 go on/off fully inflated.
islandveedub Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming that cdennisg and Everett. I was searching all over the site and couldn't find anything on it, although I know there must be a bunch of people faced with the same problem.

I was a little concerned about buying a new set of tires because it might not fit, but I'm glad to hear that 195R15's should do the trick. I'll search for a set with the proper load range and post up here whether or not I'm successful.

60 Doublecab
62 23 Window Walkthrough Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I posted those in the big meats thread about a year ago when I bought a set. I was really happy with them but sold the bus shortly thereafter. I will be putting another set on the new bus. They were about $630 CDN shipped to my door, which I thought was great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWcollector1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: run whitewall tires on crew cab lowered 3 inches Reply with quote

Hi, I'm lowering my '61 crewcab 3 inches. I want to use original whitewall tires and not inserts. The selection that's out there isn't too extensive, but have been doing my research.

I was told by a friend who is in the business of modifying spring plates and drop spindles that 195/60R15 are probably the biggest tire I can put in my 3" lowered bus without rubbing.

I've read this thread, and it sounds like what I want in aesthetics I'll have to sacrifice in stability. I plan to pretty much just use to drive around town and to local shows only and not any long distance driving.

I'm running a bug swing axle in the rear and a 4" narrowed beam in the front. I know I may need to run a spacer in the front.

I was thinking of 195/65 R15's in the rear and 185/60 R15's in the front. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 31

Jump to: