Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
darwin2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Looking for new tires for my 59 deluxe. Will the Thunder Ranger 101 fit in the spare tire well behind the front seat?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I a ways out on wanting to put new shoes on my '63, but I've been following this thread to see what options are coming up.

One thing I've noticed on the specs for a lot of these tires is that they're recommended for a minimum wheel width of 5.5" and the bus wheels are only 4.5"... anyone ever gotten pushback on mounting on a wheel that narrow or do the tire companies just slap them on? Or have there been problems with the tires after mounting related to that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with 14"/15" Bus wheels, either getting them mounted or issues afterward.

I did have a tire place refuse to mount regular tires on Bus 16" wheels but they are only 3.5" wide.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
darwin2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Will the Thunder Ranger tires fit behind the front seat of a 59 deluxe bus. I see they are 8 inches wide. Can someone measure what the thickness of a tire that fits there.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
I a ways out on wanting to put new shoes on my '63, but I've been following this thread to see what options are coming up.

One thing I've noticed on the specs for a lot of these tires is that they're recommended for a minimum wheel width of 5.5" and the bus wheels are only 4.5"... anyone ever gotten pushback on mounting on a wheel that narrow or do the tire companies just slap them on? Or have there been problems with the tires after mounting related to that?

i reality, a wider tire on a small rim is safer than a narrow tire on a huge rim. the wider tire will never jump off the bead, a narrow tire could.

it seems that 205s and 215s are put on the 15 inch bus wheels all the time. i think that is pretty extreme.

on the 14 inch rims in germany 185/14 was the stock replacement
in the US 195/75/14.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

If anyone is concerned about tire stores not mounting your tires, you should know that it is quite simple to mount them yourself. 55 years ago, as a 16 year old kid workin in a shop, i was taught how to mount tires using only a tire hammer an a tire lever.
Its so easy i rarely have a shop mount tires. Bought a brand new Ken Tool tire hammer.it would be great to have a manual American made tire machine. The Chinese ones are junk.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
If anyone is concerned about tire stores not mounting your tires, you should know that it is quite simple to mount them yourself. 55 years ago, as a 16 year old kid workin in a shop, i was taught how to mount tires using only a tire hammer an a tire lever.
Its so easy i rarely have a shop mount tires. Bought a brand new Ken Tool tire hammer.it would be great to have a manual American made tire machine. The Chinese ones are junk.

I have a chinese tire changer, and with some welding and a few mods, it works well. Main thing is to use a plastic "duck bill" from a modern tire changer mounted to the long arm. With that and some good lube, tire changes go fairly smooth.

https://mt-rsr.com/products/nylon-red-m-d-head-for...gJDdPD_BwE
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I have a chinese tire changer, and with some welding and a few mods, it works well. Main thing is to use a plastic "duck bill" from a modern tire changer mounted to the long arm. With that and some good lube, tire changes go fairly smooth.

Pictures? Plastic duck bill and strengthening seems like a good idea.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Pictures? Plastic duck bill and strengthening seems like a good idea.

Mine is not set up right now, and there is a bug on the hoist blocking the mounting are to the shop floor, so I can't take any good photos.

I got the idea from a youtube video about improving the HF changer. Main things I did was to weld the base together, rather than just bolts. I also beefed up the bead breaker with a gusset or two. Then I made a better system for the tire hold down unit after mine finally failed, and I cut a chunk of tire tread to act as a pad between the hold down and the rim.

The duck bill bolts to a hole drilled in the original HF dismount bar. Depending on whether I am mounting or dismounting a tire, I change where the duck bill is bolted to the bar. I will see if I can find the video about that particular item.

EDIT: this isn't the video I was looking for, and he is mostly dealing with motorcycle tires, but at the 3:08 mark he shows the duckbill and a custom bar he built to use it. I just used the stock HF bar with a hole in it, and I move the duck bill to either hole depending on my needs. I might just make one like this guy to save time.

Link

livingskies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I'm trying find a set of tires for the 1961 single cab, to go on the original rims.

There's not much available at the retailers here in western Canada. One of my main concerns is that the tires will fit without hitting the fenders.

I found some Chinese (West Lake) winter tires in the 195/R15 size. Type TL, 7.72 inch section width, 27.28 inch diameter, 2094 max load, and 65 psi inflation. I have never heard of West Lake tires before.

Even though I have heard so many negative things about the quality of Chinese tires, I'm considering it. Will they fit without any issues? And if they will fit, am I wasting my money buying Chinese tires?
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
I've mounted the Achilles tires. So far so good, the only thing I'm not so sure is what tire pressure to run at sidewall specifies max psi as 65. They were mounted and balanced at 60 psi. I'm thinking of running 55 in front and 60 in rear.
Any thoughts on that?

I just want to weigh in again on these tires. They look the part and the spare fits nicely in the trunk ( walkthrough bus ), however they are inferior to the wider michelins that they replaced. I guess because they are skinnier, but the road handling is just plain worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

livingskies wrote:
I'm trying find a set of tires for the 1961 single cab, to go on the original rims.

There's not much available at the retailers here in western Canada. One of my main concerns is that the tires will fit without hitting the fenders.

I found some Chinese (West Lake) winter tires in the 195/R15 size. Type TL, 7.72 inch section width, 27.28 inch diameter, 2094 max load, and 65 psi inflation. I have never heard of West Lake tires before.

Even though I have heard so many negative things about the quality of Chinese tires, I'm considering it. Will they fit without any issues? And if they will fit, am I wasting my money buying Chinese tires?

post some pictures or a link? What kind of driving do you plan on doing? How much are they? I think they will fit .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
livingskies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Sorry, no pictures, as I have not bought them yet. Wondering more than anything if the 195R15 size will fit on the Single Cab. They don't say 75 (height), but the salesman said that is what they are similar to. Has anyone here tried that size of a truck or bus of similar vintage.

Last edited by livingskies on Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

CIP and Concept1 are both based out of western canada and should be able to set you up with a set of tires unless you are looking for something uber exotic
livingskies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I checked both CIP1 and Concept1 websites; neither has tires in a suitable size in stock. Surprising.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

livingskies wrote:
I checked both CIP1 and Concept1 websites; neither has tires in a suitable size in stock. Surprising.

while these: http://usstore.concept1.ca/195-70-15C-Conti-Vanco-4Season-Tire-195-70-15-ContiVan4-45998/ are not ideal, they are certainly suitable C-rated 8pr tires that will fit.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

livingskies wrote:
Sorry, no pictures, as I have not bought them yet. Wondering more than anything if the 195R15 size will fit on the Single Cab. They don't say 75 (height), but the salesman said that is what they are similar to. Has anyone here tried that size of a truck or bus of similar vintage.

When a tire size is given without an aspect ratio, it is assumed to be approximately an 82. Those tires are a 195/82R15. Any good tire person should know that.

the Westlake tires aren't the best, but they'll work. Any chance of getting Hankook RA18's in your neck of the woods?
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

livingskies wrote:
Sorry, no pictures, as I have not bought them yet. Wondering more than anything if the 195R15 size will fit on the Single Cab. Has anyone here tried that size of a truck or bus of similar vintage.

I have Thunderer 195R15 on the 59 Kombi with a big nut trans.
I really like the tires and they fit fine in the flat wheel well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you are running straight axle, they will likely fit, but could be a recurring nightmare trying to get them in there.
livingskies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Those Concept1 tires look a little pricey, at least in Canadian dollars - likely close to $800 for four plus shipping. An online search did not turn up the Hankooks at a reasonable price. Westlakes are starting to look more attractive.

Riff Raff, what do you mean by straight axle - do you mean reduction boxes replaced with a straight axle? If so, this single cab has the reduction boxes. Does that help with the fit of these tires?
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

livingskies wrote:

Riff Raff, what do you mean by straight axle - do you mean reduction boxes replaced with a straight axle? If so, this single cab has the reduction boxes. Does that help with the fit of these tires?

Yes, that's what I mean.
If you still have original small nut RGB trans, they will slide right in there with lots of clearance.
I have a big nut RGB trans that has wider drums and I can still fit them in and they don't rub.
If you can hold off till the border opens again, we can likely get Mr. Cote from Creston to hop across the imaginary line and pick you up a set. Likely be under $600 CDN.
That is what I would do were I in your position.
Besides, it isn't SC driving weather here for another six months.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 31

Jump to: