Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenbug67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Thanks!!! I was thinking that would be the best compromise without sacrificing the look too much!!

Will prob get the Michelin Agillis 195/70R15 , love michelin tires.....but these look a little more chunky.

or the japanese made Falken R51 Linam 195/70R15..nicesst looking. Passenger] tire look.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Here’s a set of 195/70-15 Hercules light truck tires on my ‘56 so you can gauge how that size tire might look on your bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

repeteVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I'm considering these two for my 62 Samba.

https://www.cokertire.com/670-15-firestone-blackwall.html
https://www.cokertire.com/tires/american-classic-670r15-blackwall.html

I've read up on the correct diameter and realize these are taller than the 6.40's, but I like the height and extra weight rating. Any thoughts between the two. Also, I do have a freeway flyer transmission. Should that factor in my tire height choice. Which way? The stock size for comparison... which I haven't ruled out....

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/640-15-firestone-blackwall.html
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

6.70/15s were and are used. However, they can sometimes rub on the fronts. In the back of the wheelwell, there is a metal seam that can get in the way. Hammer can easily fix that.

I used to drive on 6.40/15s and found them plenty tall enough, and never had issues with the weight

for the "faster drivers" the radial probably a good choice even at the higher price

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
repeteVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Thanks, Uli. Still pondering here. Lawrenceville, I see. Cool!

I'm also curious if anyone can report on any direct experience with the American Classic bias-ply look radial, as linked above.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I still think the load rating on the Coker bias plys is unsafe. I’m sure it would be fine for a show car but if you drive to distant shows or have a heavier load I would not want to use them. They do look great.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
I still think the load rating on the Coker bias plys is unsafe. I’m sure it would be fine for a show car but if you drive to distant shows or have a heavier load I would not want to use them. They do look great.
I agree on the load rating, although I have driven on firestones, and they don't have the squishy marshmello sidewall that passenger rated have. The big problem that I have with the firestones from coker is the price. They are more than twice as expensive as many of the various LT rated radials. I don't like paying more to get less with new production stuff.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I don't like paying more to get less with new production stuff.

but its all about the look bro!!
repeteVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
I agree on the load rating, although I have driven on firestones, and they don't have the squishy marshmello sidewall that passenger rated have. The big problem that I have with the firestones from coker is the price. They are more than twice as expensive as many of the various LT rated radials. I don't like paying more to get less with new production stuff.

Lind, the Firestone 6.70s have a much better load rating vs the 6.40s. Perhaps you already realize that.
hgandmc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I've got a front rubbing from the top of the tires when I have passengers in my 62 deluxe. I am running Toyo extensa P205/75/15. I had to let air out to get the backs on, my mechanic said they were too big, but a (California)Bus expert said thats what everyone is running. Even the first post in this forum states this. My son said it makes the bus look to beefy. Why am I rubbing? Is there another problem, or do I look for a smaller set.I got a little cash at the moment. Thoughts--
Thanks
Frank

Also..do you feel a guilt when you buy tires over the net and go to a local to put them on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

hgandmc wrote:
I've got a front rubbing from the top of the tires when I have passengers in my 62 deluxe. I am running Toyo extensa P205/75/15. I had to let air out to get the backs on, my mechanic said they were too big, but a (California)Bus expert said thats what everyone is running. Even the first post in this forum states this. My son said it makes the bus look to beefy. Why am I rubbing? Is there another problem, or do I look for a smaller set.I got a little cash at the moment. Thoughts--
Thanks
Frank

Also..do you feel a guilt when you buy tires over the net and go to a local to put them on?

Not all tires of the same size, are the exact same diameter/width from a different manufacturer. You may have some "large" 205/75R15's. I have run that exact size with no issues.

Also, if you are rubbing up front when others are not, I wonder if you may have a few broken torsion leaves in your front beam? It happens.

I buy my tires locally. The few dollars saved buying online does not offset the money spent with folks that live in my town. Also, they do a lot of stuff at no charge for me when I need it.
hgandmc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Thanks...makes great sense. Going to throw my bus up on stands and take a front end apart before I buy smaller tires. Good point about where to purchase tires.

Thanks
Frank
paul_e_watson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
Here's a 195R15C tire for $74.99. Made in Thailand and I cant find any reviews but the specs are great.

http://simpletire.com/catalog/product/104833

The price on these have dropped, now $62.99 each.

Wow! They're now "on sale" for $188 - EACH!
I'm just trying to find a nice original looking tire for my 61 single cab for around town driving. So frustrating!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_e_watson wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
Here's a 195R15C tire for $74.99. Made in Thailand and I cant find any reviews but the specs are great.

I'm just trying to find a nice original looking tire for my 61 single cab for around town driving. So frustrating!

you can easily find a 195/70/15 C rated tire. they are in the 130 range, not quite 26 inches in diameter. For around town that should be fine. the bay buses had 195/75/14s on them, you can still turn the steering wheel.....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
paul_e_watson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
paul_e_watson wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

you can easily find a 195/70/15 C rated tire. they are in the 130 range, not quite 26 inches in diameter. For around town that should be fine. the bay buses had 195/75/14s on them, you can still turn the steering wheel.....

Thanks for the info... I was debating the Achilles and Thunderer and even the Continental Vanco. I just found speedytire.com and they had some Thunderer Ranger R101 for about $75 + shipping so I pulled the trigger. So glad to finally be in the "club" with my 61 single cab. Have been trying to find the right one for years and did about a month ago. Love this site with all of it's knowledge!

past stuff:
1966 Bug convertible
1973 Bug
1961 Single Cab
1969 Karmann Ghia
Rhodrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I've just fitted Nexen Roadian CT8 commercial tires in 185/80/15 (185R15C) size to my '64. They fill the arches nicely...

MUCH better than the 165R15 car tires it had on there before.

My spare tire has a 6.40-15 tire on it, and I can confirm that it's pretty much the same diameter as these.
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

does it fit behind the seat? Whats the load rating? Looks good
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

zimblewinder wrote:

They are D rated, so very sturdy. Great tires, i had them on a couple buses. Havemt tried them behind the seat.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

zimblewinder wrote:

They are D rated, so very sturdy. Great tires, i had them on a couple buses. Havent tried them behind the seat.
Rhodrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Indeed. 103/102R (8PR) Load Rating on the label. Haven't tried behind the seat either, but it looks like they'd be OK. I've now got one of my old 165/80/15s as a spare.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 31

Jump to: