Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painter's Grinding - Denver, CO
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Painter's Grinding - Denver, CO Reply with quote

I was hoping not to have to post this...

On Tuesday I went to Painter's Grinding in Denver, CO for a gasket set for my 73 bus with a 1700 (stock). The set they gave me had this label:

01-23455-05
VOLKSWAGEN

2,0 LTR. 70 PS (51,5 KW) TYP 2 TRANSPORTER 1976/
1,8 LTR. 68 PS (50 KW) TYP 2 TRANSPORTER 1973/
75 PS (55 KW) TYP 4 412-L 1973/74
85 PS (62,5 KW) TYP4 412 S/LS 1973/74
914 - 1.8 85 PS (62,5 KW) 1,8 LTR. 1973/

I read all that 1.8 stuff on there and asked if it is correct for my bus. "Oh, yeah. That set has both sizes of head gaskets in there." Ok. I head back to work (30 miles round trip BTW) and not feeling really comfortable I asked here on the Bay Window board and on the Type 2 list. I got a solid response on the Type 2 list:
Quote:
The 1.8 was introduced on the Transporter and the Type 4 (412) in Europe. It didn't make it to the USA until the 1974 model year. 1.7's were used on 72-73 USA Market Transporters. Do not open the gasket set. It is of no use to you. The proper Reinz Number is 01-21925-03 (VW 021-198-009B) for the 1700 engine.

So I go back on Friday with the unopened set. I show that text (I printed it out) and two different counter guys were emphatic about it being correct and having the right head gaskets. One offered to order the listed part number instead of the one he gave me, but I couldn't be back there before Sunday. "We can leave it outside somewhere.." WTF? Um, no. One of the counter guys opened the set to show me there were slight differences between the gaskets (or shims?) in the kit.

They were so sure it was correct I left.

So yesterday afternoon we start tearing our engines apart to get ready to drop them. When the other bus we were working came out (a 2.0) I checked the gaskets to his heads. Perfect fit. !@#$%#$^$& I put them to my "new" 1.7 head and found they were too big for me. Big surprise.

Now the @!#$%#^ store is closed for Labor Day and I have to get my bus together for work tomorrow. That means I don't get to put new gaskets on my heads. In fact, I probably won't pull my engine at all since the whole point was to swap heads to repair a sunk valve seat.

I told them repeatedly that this HAD to be done this holiday weekend. Now I'm screwed. Nobody else that is open will have the head gaskets.

I got wonderful comments about this place before I went there. Maybe it's the mechanics that are great, because the counter guys were fscking worthless in my situation.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have checked here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=209006

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figuring since you live down the street from a shop it would be easier than online.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Painter's Grinding - Denver, CO Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:

I got wonderful comments about this place before I went there. Maybe it's the mechanics that are great, because the counter guys were fscking worthless in my situation.

Sometimes the mechanics are counter guys. Makes you wonder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
Should have checked here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=209006

And that's half what I paid too.. My set was $68 + tax. Mad

Yeah, I should have ordered the set from one of the various good vendors online. But I liked supporting a local shop and I liked knowing I had the set in my hands before starting.

Silly me.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Another buddy of mine in the area (who kept insisting they were fine) went in for a rear main seal.

What did they give him? Front main seal (flywheel end).

Dorks.
kevinrco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: They took me for 420 cash Reply with quote

Took my bus in for a torque seal gasket and they failed to remove the old seal. This was a 400 dollar job and 2 weeks later im dripping tranny fluid. 5 months later it fails again. They seem to think that there are supposed to be 2 seals on the thing, but in my invoice they only put that they replaced 1. My mechanic says there should be one seal.. (Vrbas Parts) he has been working on bus's forever and knows his stuff. THEN, they say that its an alignment issue. NOPE Once the tranny and motor together you can count that out. THEN they say I need a new motor and tranny!! WTF They think that I'm an idiot who will believe just about anything. My motor only has 12k since a rebuild.
Not happy with them at all. They are snotty and do bad work.
70FastyGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Painter's Grinding Denver Reply with quote

I have had nothing but incredibly positive experiences with this auto shop. They have an amazing breadth of expertise and real-world practical knowledge of VWs- and unlike so many other similar shops- these guys don't play games. They hear your problems and freely tell you all about it. Every repair I have ever had was always cheaper than I expected it to be, and done both fast and well. If you have problems, realize that VWs are old machines, and that it pays to be polite with the ones who fix your car, no matter where you go.
velo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Painters Reply with quote

Years ago I had them build me a long block for an 80 vanagon. Two weeks after installing the engine a case plug fell out and all of the oil ran out. Luckily i saw the pressure light and pulled over. I called and told them what had happened and all they could tell me was that my engine was almost 30 years old and that they were not responsible. After arguing with them for ever,I had my van towed 200 miles back to the shop. Less than a day later they call and tell me it's fixed. After getting the van back i look and see they have globbed JB weld over the plug and it was still leaking. It must have been too hard to fix it right! The long block was 1400.00 and the tow was 150.00. The engine never quit leaking and they refused to do anything about it. It's been 10 years and I'm still pissed. GO PAINTERS!!
muggermackaye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Painter's Grinding - Denver, CO Reply with quote

Well. reading this post makes me wonder a little but...
My experience, so far, has been great. I only have 44 miles on my car so i guess that could change. My throttle is not fully returning, which was not an issue i had before. Linkage is clear, cable is lubed, and I can feel some friction somewhere... If it continues, I am expecting they'll do something about it.

Anyway, working with painters has been great. They have been friendly and knowledgeable group of guys. Easy to talk to, didn't talk down to me, craftsman with a passion. I feel that Ross is a gifted builder. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: