Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOS hardware
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: NOS hardware Reply with quote

this summer, I came across some interesting NOS parts. among them was a decent amount of NOS hardware. here is a pic of a 17mm nut. note the shiny plated finish. it is really hard to photograph because is like a mirror. I believe that this is what most of the hardware looked like when our buses were new.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got that same nut from homedepot today lind

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat!

Except all the nuts/bolts that were cad-plated black... or other "colors".
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, but thats not a 17mm nut...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:

really? what size is it?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:

really? what size is it?

10mm I'm guessing Wink
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 10mm. Nuts and bolts are`nt measured by what size wrench fits on them. They are measured by the diameter of the threaded part.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw-in-neptune wrote:
i got that same nut from homedepot today lind

Laughing Laughing
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: NOS hardware Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
note the shiny plated finish. it is really hard to photograph because is like a mirror. I believe that this is what most of the hardware looked like when our buses were new.

well i would presume that you know that the parts list often lists the finish of the hardware. over the years i have picked up many NOS muffler install kits, and the hardware in them is kinda a matte zinc plated finish. definitely not a shiny gloss, not flat, kinda frosty. the parts list says "galvanized", but i have yet to find someone who can duplicate that finish.
some NOS hardware i have is not plated at all. and some hardware, i believe, would not be plated, because it got painted in assemblies, like certain front axle fasteners, door attaching screws, etc. i'm sure that some stuff was shiny like in the pic, but not everything. i have some NOS hardware (straight out of a sealed VW german package) that is gold cad plated. that was in a set of kingpins. the washers were not plated, and other harware was shiny silver.
also, when considering used, original hardware versus NOS, the original used stuff has 45+ years of exposure to elements, and plated finishes do deteriorate over time.
another thing, industry standards do change, so a fastener produced in the early 60's (example) may have a different finish than a more modernly produced replacement part, even though it may still be a genuine VW NOS part. i have noticed that later split busses seem to have differently finished hardware than earlier busses.
i love finding (and using) NOS hardware. i just got a box full of misc nuts, screws, washers at bug-o-rama.
and no, you did not get that same nut at home depot. the ones now are almost always from taiwan, and have different markings on the face. the one in lind's pic is definitely older production.
volksman4u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody get David Mayes in on this!
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksman4u wrote:
Somebody get David Mayes in on this!

Mayes has already been through all of the hardware.
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is very true that hardware is plated as per where it will be used. Some black oxide, some gold cad, some zinc, and some none at all. oh yea, some was chromed! So the next time you see a restoration with all zinc plated hardware, ridicule the poor sap.

The size of a nut/bolt/washer is designated by the diameter of the threaded part of the bolt or nut, not the size of wrench used, hence the confusion often when asking for 5 or 8mm bolts and having to specify whether you want the 9/8 or 14/13 mm head on them. Washers are designated by the size of bolt intended but also by the outer diameter and of course it's type (split,wavy,flat,etc)

but all this has already been posted above. why am i repeating it.

Lind's hardware score is nice. too bad it's mixed up with a bit of old motorcycle stuff as it makes for some confusion of just what is what.
DopeBeatDerrick
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS hardware Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
here is a pic of a 17mm nut. note the shiny plated finish.

Bryan67 wrote:
Yes, 10mm. Nuts and bolts are`nt measured by what size wrench fits on them. They are measured by the diameter of the threaded part.

Lind wrote:
and it doesn't take an expert that is at my level to pick apart your "restorations".

Lind wrote:
I was voted most knowledgeable by the users of this forum. I know my shit. I don't restore buses because I like original unrestored buses. I am involved in the restorations of plenty of buses on a daily basis. I have worked at a body shop, and I have worked at a repair shop. I own a repair shop that specializes in splitties and on and on.

You got my vote.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS hardware Reply with quote

DopeBeatDerrick wrote:
Lind wrote:
here is a pic of a 17mm nut. note the shiny plated finish.

Bryan67 wrote:

Lind wrote:
and it doesn't take an expert that is at my level to pick apart your "restorations".

Lind wrote:
I was voted most knowledgeable by the users of this forum. I know my shit. I don't restore buses because I like original unrestored buses. I am involved in the restorations of plenty of buses on a daily basis. I have worked at a body shop, and I have worked at a repair shop. I own a repair shop that specializes in splitties and on and on.

You got my vote.

BURN!!!! Shocked

Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: