Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayjay1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

Hello folks! My 10yr son Julian and I rescued a 64 camper during the Spring time and I was finally able to bring it home this week. We're excited to tackle this father and son project together over winter. We have a few beetles already but have never owned a bus before so we're learning as we go.

The bus sat at a tow yard called Shamrock towing in Westerville OH for over 10yrs before we rescued it. Here's a few pics!

I'll like to get more info on the pull out side step and what kind of camper it is. Thank you in advanced!

Sorry about the pics not being in order. I couldn't remember how to post pics so it took me a while to figure out. Lol

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

Wow not bad for an Ohio find!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a great save!! Any idea of what the camper conversion is? Riviera maybe? Look forward to watching your project. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

Nice find, looks like a lot of the camper kit is there.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
jayjay1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
Yeah, that's a great save!! Any idea of what the camper conversion is? Riviera maybe? Look forward to watching your project. Very Happy

Thank you!
I'm not sure what it is. I was told ez camper but I beleive its a caravelle. I'll update the page from time to time. Lol
jayjay1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Nice find, looks like a lot of the camper kit is there.

Yes its all there! Nothing missing except for the cushions and the shifter. I'm pretty lucky!
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

Good thing you had Westside Danny with you. Bus looks good now you wont have to ride with Fernando
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

Nice starting point on that bus esp for rust belt. Speaking of which a CLR bath would likely do wonders. I like the period stripes on the side! Nice score on that harp mirror on pass side.

Since the bus has moved inside might be a good time to soak hinges, bolts etc in the penetrating fluid of your choice to give it time to do its magic. Mirror arms are famous for seizing up from sitting outside in the elements so would give those some extra attention
jayjay1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
Good thing you had Westside Danny with you. Bus looks good now you wont have to ride with Fernando

😀😀😀 Yeah Fernando wouldn't let me ride in his that's why I had to get my own bus. 😁 And I owe Danny my left teste! I just mentioned it to him a few days prior to pick up and he went and took off work that day and offered to come w me. At that moment I knew I wasn't going to get rid of him that easily, so I let him ride in the bed of the truck. Hahaha!

All jokes aside, I'm sure Fernando would've done the same thing for me. But Danny truly helped me out a lot that day and still is. I'm super grateful for it! They're true ride or die guys!

Last edited by jayjay1980 on Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
jayjay1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Nice starting point on that bus esp for rust belt. Speaking of which a CLR bath would likely do wonders. I like the period stripes on the side! Nice score on that harp mirror on pass side.

Since the bus has moved inside might be a good time to soak hinges, bolts etc in the penetrating fluid of your choice to give it time to do its magic. Mirror arms are famous for seizing up from sitting outside in the elements so would give those some extra attention

Thanks for the advise! I'll make sure to pay extra attention to the mirrors.
I have been soaking the hinges for a few days now. All doors open and close nicely except for the driver's side. That one still need some more work. I made it a habit to spray it every time I walk in the garage and go through the motions. The glass on the mirrors are busted so I'm going to try and repair them both.
The previous owner Tim had mentioned that some kids got in the yard and went around busting out car windows a few yrs prior to me acquiring it. That's probably how the glass ended up broken along w some of the windows.
My plan is to make it run and drive first, then tackle brakes and all other mechanical stuff, and do the interior and necessary bodywork last.
I don't have a lot of experience working on buses but I'm youtube certified so I'll be ok. Lol
Do you have any info on the pull out side step?
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

I am not familiar with that style of side step. Looks kinda home brew and given that it mounts under the bus and behind the front wheel probably 50+ years of grime and rust that is holding it in place unfortunately. Good luck with that one! Looks like it sits very low and would bottom on when going camping etc unless it somehow retracts up higher and out of the way when not in use
dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

jayjay1980 wrote:
71whitewesty wrote:

Thank you!
I'm not sure what it is. I was told ez camper but I beleive its a caravelle. I'll update the page from time to time. Lol

It looks a lot like a Caravelle from the interior pic.
My front seats had the same green "School Bus" vinyl upholstery too.
I figured it was a previous owner who redid them. There was a date stamp of '77 on the fabric side. Probably just a coincidence.
The rear area looks like mine, especially the table. My original upholstery in the rear is a very grandma-esq couch fabric.

Awesome bus!
jayjay1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
I am not familiar with that style of side step. Looks kinda home brew and given that it mounts under the bus and behind the front wheel probably 50+ years of grime and rust that is holding it in place unfortunately. Good luck with that one! Looks like it sits very low and would bottom on when going camping etc unless it somehow retracts up higher and out of the way when not in use

Yes the side step is retractable, it slides out and locks in places. It works great and feels very sturdy to me. I'll like to learn more about the maker to try and figure out what kind of camper I have. Thanks!

jayjay1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

dlicious wrote:
jayjay1980 wrote:
71whitewesty wrote:

Thank you!

It looks a lot like a Caravelle from the interior pic.
My front seats had the same green "School Bus" vinyl upholstery too.
I figured it was a previous owner who redid them. There was a date stamp of '77 on the fabric side. Probably just a coincidence.
The rear area looks like mine, especially the table. My original upholstery in the rear is a very grandma-esq couch fabric.

Awesome bus!

Thank you!
Most of the ones I've come across online w teal interior and lighter color wood are Caravelles, but I haven't seen any stamping or decal any where yet. I'll inspect everything closely when I remove the interior for cleaning and resto.
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

Great find and score, that's awesome! Lovely bus
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 camper is finally in for hibernation! Reply with quote

Popcorn

May be snowed in today, but Spring is just around the corner.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: