Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas gauge question
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orygonian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Gas gauge question Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm getting all new gauges for the dune buggy. My old gas gauge from a super would read about 1/4 when it would run out (found out the hard way ) full when full. When fuel stops flowing the vom measures 36 ohms, I can add 6 gallons to get to the bottom of the filler neck, 10 ohms there. I'm guessing this is due to the tank being at a different orientation than a bug. I don't see a gauge using these resistance numbers, are there programmable fuel gauges out there that would work? Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.
IowaRedManx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas gauge question Reply with quote

I can drive an average of about 160 miles on a full tank. I refuel every 140 to 150 miles.
fiaroadster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas gauge question Reply with quote

Try
http://www.centroidproducts.com/
Rick
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas gauge question Reply with quote

Orygonian
I run Speedhut gauges and the fuel gauge is programmable as far as empty-full.the sender also fits the stock vw gas tank bolt pattern ( I think I have the '68ish fuel tank, filler originally on the lower right corner,don't know if vw changed the bolt pattern on the tanks as they 'evolved'?)
tony
orygonian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gas gauge question Reply with quote

I looked at those Speedhut gauges and wondered how you program them. Can you just tell it 36 ohms is empty, 10 ohms is full? I really don't want to change the sender as the hood looks like it would be a PITA to R&R.
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas gauge question Reply with quote

orygonian wrote:
I looked at those Speedhut gauges and wondered how you program them. Can you just tell it 36 ohms is empty, 10 ohms is full? I really don't want to change the sender as the hood looks like it would be a PITA to R&R.

Don't know if it'll work with stock sender...I believe the instuctions are on their website.
With the Speedhut sender it's a matter of a few button pushes for empty/full.If you can't find the instructions you could always call tech support and they may be able to help?

Tony
orygonian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Gas gauge question Reply with quote

From the speedhut website

Manual calibration***
Note: make sure fuel level sensor is hooked up to gauge and is at the appropriate empty or full state you wish to calibrate. Fuel level sensor MUST be attached to gauge during calibration procedure(s).
If your sensor is different from the preset ranges you can manually calibrate the gauge. You will need to program the 'Empty' resistance and the 'Full' resistance.
1. Follow steps 1 & 2 above and select (manual calibration F see figure 1).
2. Release button (pointer will oscillate between E and F.)
3. When pointer is at F or E - press and hold button for 2 seconds to calibrate that condition.
 For example: If the tank was drained with no gas you would select the Empty position E on the dial.
4. Pointer will then travel to E or F depending on which end you are setting. Gauge will exit calibration menu and display current fuel level. Repeat procedure to set OTHER end point. Note: Until both empty and full points are calibrated the gauge will NOT display the fuel level accurately.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: