Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Failed emissions test - help me out...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Failed emissions test - help me out... Reply with quote

Okay, finally got around to taking my Westy to the DEQ station today. Results are here:

HC
(max=220ppm):
idle: 457ppm failed
2500rpm: 1504ppm failed Shocked

CO (max=1.00%):
idle: 0.97% passed! barely...
2500rpm: 1.49% failed

Things I've already done to the van recently:

new air filter
new oil/filter
new plugs
new wires
new cap/rotor
new thermostat

I have not adjusted timing, played with CO screw, checked O2 sensor. I don't know the condition of the cat. The idle stabilizer valve is currently unplugged (erratic idle when it's plugged in - I've tried cleaning it out, and I repaired a burned-out transistor in the IS control module; fixed the ~4000rpm idle, but it's still unstable). Idle is a bit lumpy, and the van was idling at 1184rpm during the test. It was fully warmed up, and had been on a few high speed runs before pulling into the test station.

So what do you guys think? Do those CO & HC numbers mean anything obvious to you?
lordsniff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your O2 sensor.

2001 Honda
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was your NO like?
Replacing the O2 sensor is a prudent thing to do.
Cats don't last forever.
Because of high NO, I seem to replace cats every 4 years.
Your mixture is off, you may need to do a low emissions adjust.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon doesn't test for NO, so I can't comment on that one...

I'll give the van the ol' once-over this weekend and see what I come up with. O2 sensor should read around 0.5V, right?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have this link don't you? http://www.interro.com/techgas.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
You have this link don't you? http://www.interro.com/techgas.html

I do now!

Thanks, that helps understand the relationship between HC, CO, mixture, etc...
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, if you have high NO, your cat is not working well. They may have your NO on the report regardless of whether or not they use it.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Paintedbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just had the same issues, not to the same degree, but i failed emissions here in CT and had to figure out what was wrong... on my way home a week later, my van stalled because my cat had fallen apart and clogged my muffler. once i got a new one on there (along with a new o2 sensor and emptieed out my VERY full muffler, i passed with flying colors... then again, i also just did do a couple of things, like a tune up, and new muffler... figures that my cat had to go right after i emptied my meeger bank account into a bunch of new asthetic parts for the interior... Confused

~"Paintedbus" Ken~
The Mobile Muralist
WWW.PAINTEDBUSART.COM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help so far - I did a few quick things (temp II sensor, tried to adjust AFM/CO/idle) and took it back in today...still failing (numbers about the same). I'll look at getting a new O2 sensor, setting up timing, and trying to get the other adjustments better - and I'll look at my cat.

I at least made some improvement to my AFM - the wiper had worn through the carbon track and was giving really erratic signals as it moved across. I cleaned the track and shifted it slightly so it's running across a different section, and it seems to be working better. I have a feeling I may need to tighten up the spring a bit...
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CO problem is almost certainly due to a bad catalytic converter. I had a '76 Bug with F.I. and a cataytic converter that had similar numbers (around 450 ppm HC and 2.5% CO). Nothing I did would help the CO emissions until I replaced the catalytic converter. As it turned out, I had a catalytic converter shell with no innards! Once I got the new catalytic converter installed my CO dropped to 0%! Then it was just simply a matter of adjusting the timing and idle to get the HC down. If your engine has a lot of miles on it, you may need to adjust it for passing emissions. What you'll need to do is to retard the timing 5-6 degrees from the recommended factory settings and then raise the idle to maybe 1200 RPM. Then get it tested. In my '76 Bug, I was able to lower the HC emissions from around 400ppm to less than 150ppm by doing this. The car ran like an old Yugo, but at least it passed emissions.
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shenan
i just failed with almost the same numbers, I did a parts tune up and had a local shop set my mixtures and then installed a new cat and passed with colors, as in flaming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big B wrote:
Shenan
i just failed with almost the same numbers, I did a parts tune up and had a local shop set my mixtures and then installed a new cat and passed with colors, as in flaming.

Sounds good...I'm going to try to do the timing and mixture setup before shelling out money on a cat, but I may be headed down that path...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: