Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever Traveled Baja?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
seabright_sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Ever Traveled Baja? Reply with quote

We have an 1985 Westy that is as reliable as a well taken care of Vanagon can be. My wife and I have two daughters (2 and 10) and we're thinking of travelling through Baja for a month or so. Our spanish skills are minimal but we're quick learners.

What are the pros and cons of Westy travel through Baja?

Can we find parts and mechanics?

How's the Towing situation if needed?

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined ie - change belts, plugs, filters, trouble shoot, but not fully mechanically compitent. We're very used to Westy travels ('69 then a'76, now the '85) and have had only minor mechanical issues arrise over the years. But Baja... We're a little aprehensive. Advice and suggestions welcome!
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One major con is getting caught by the local banditos who hate gringos and love to abuse their daughters and wives in front of them before they smoke everybody and bury you on the side of the road and sell your Westy in MC. :2gunfire:

Second con, do not do it in a two wheel drive, horchatta. Shame on you

Third con, in case you havent heard, there is a paralell palistinian uprising in Mexico, do a Google search on Aztlan. :2gunfire:

Is ther some place that you haven't seen in America man???
Stay local loco, especially if your going to take your loved ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd thought:
You like sand?
Try Coos bay , Oregon.
Also Eastern Oregon or Eastern Washington, nice dry, remote, and friendly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pubclub.com/mexico/baja/central.htm
I don't know about family oriented travel, I've heard of troubles in the border towns, like Big B says, more so if you have US plates. Of course It's like everything else, you could go have no problems and have a wonderful time.
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about this one. I can see both sides of it. I did a little research on Aztlan and it seems this is nothing new. Here's a little background info;

http://www.mayorno.com/WhoIsMecha.html

There are probably some risks anywhere that you travel. As someone whos been to Baja a few times I can say I've felt a lot more in danger when I took a wrong turn upon leaving the Philly airport and ended up in a bad neighborhood. Man, I was scared. The bottom line is that there are more innocent people killed as a result of gang violence in this country than are killed, kidnapped or otherewise harrased in Mexico and Central America combined. Inner city violence has become so commonplace in this country that it's hardly newsworthy anymore but if one tourist disappears in a foriegn country it gets a fair bit of attention.

Baja has upped its' police presence in the past decade in an effort to assure the safety of American tourists. They realize the importance of American dollars to their economy. One thing you'll encounter down there at regular intervals are the puestas militario. Military checkpoints. They stop all vehicles and search many of them. They're manned by a bunch of pimply faced 17 year olds with automatic weapons but seriously, don't let it freak you out and by all means, be polite and pleasant. These guys are out there at the expense of US taxpayer $$ in an effort to slow the flow of drugs. As for road conditions, the only reliable paved road is highway 1 and it's pretty narrow and potholed. Most routes to the little fishing villages are gravel and sometimes pretty bad. These places are wonderful to go to but you really could end up seriously stuck unless you have a Syncro. The pavement can get you to wonderful places like Mulege, San Ignacio, Loretto and La Paz. When I go, I camp in organized campgrounds, usually with other Americans in their RVs. I too have heard the stories of Banditos and though I've never seen any I feel safer when camped with others.

Caveat: I've never done this trip in my Westy. I always go with a couple of friends on motorcycles. If I were to take my Westy I'd be sure to have a good complement of spare parts and my Bentley. Also, Highway 1 is frequently patrolled by the 'Green Angels,' green service trucks with some spare parts, gas, oil, etc. that are paid for by the government and who's sole purpose it is to help out stranded motorists. I'd have my doubts, however, that they'd have much knowlege about Vanagons.
'96 BMW R1100GS
panic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have water cooled bay window VWs in Mexico.
cnskate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panic wrote:
They have water cooled bay window VWs in Mexico.

Do they have the same wasserboxer engine as later Vanagons?

Once you get away from the border areas I think you are probably about as safe down there as you are here. If you had a break down and needed parts you would probably have to have them UPS air shipped, which is a little pricey. Get a copy of Carl Franz's "Peoples Guide to Mexico". The one big bummer I have heard, and I think there might be a State Department warning about this, is if you get in an accident you might get tossed in jail till you sort or bribe your way out. Don't take my word for it, look into it.
groovewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old girlfriend and I traveled by busses, trains and ferrys around the baja for several weeks. I met a ton of California surf bums up and down the Pacific coast (in VW vans) chasing the perfect wave and the perfect fish taco. In addition I have a friend who works 9 months a year and gets winters off. He takes his camper van and spends the winters all over Mexico. He's broken down a few times and says the mexicans are really good mechanics and parts are plentiful. The only hassles he encounters is getting searched for drugs. He kind of looks like a hippy so they REALLY search his van. I never asked my buddy but I'VE HEARD you need mexican insurance because American insurance doesn't count and if you don't have it you go to jail. Personally I would go for it if you got the emergency bucks ready and the time to handle a breakdown, if it occurs. I was told when in the Baja, that it is actually the richest and safest state in Mexico.
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a definite yes on Mexican insurance. Even if you have a policy that covers your vehicle internationally, the Mexicans don't recognize it. The quickest, easiest way to get this is online at Sanborns.com.
'96 BMW R1100GS
cnskate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought a 71 Westy would be the perfect Mexico adventure mobile. When your engine gets tired just drop into a VW dealership and get a new longblock for $700. I'm sure the Green Angels (Mexico's free version of AAA) could fix anything on a 71.
Vespagetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever Traveled Baja? Reply with quote

Go for it! I went down earlier this month. I've been to Baja many times but never with an older car. I was nervous about it at first but the van drove impeccably, on road - off road, sand, heat, bad gas and all. Mine is an '88 and I had to take part of the bumper off in order to improve the clearance but with an '85 you shouldn't have a problem. It's an adventure your kids will remember forever!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sea Bright, an old friend of mine lost both of his parents in Baja, they were retired, never came back, never found the MH either, happened about fifteen years ago, really messed with his family.
I'm an old warrior, the freak for me is your young ones.
but then again, that just me.
I know that there are both good and bad in any country, my wife and I both travel to Israel two times a year, but I sleep good there, it's the most heavily armed country in the whole world.
A nice big ugly dog might be nice, then again, prayer helps most.
let us all know when you decide, we will remember you.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha HAAAAA I've been laughing my butt off reading these posts..thanks everyone! I've been south so many times I couldnt tell you! and yeah, once we got robbed by bandittos, about 1976 somewhere in the middle about Zacatecas when our driver fell asleep, went off the road and ripped out the fuel pan of our panel truck.....they took our levi's, food stamps, cash of course, and a couple guitars. But Mexico is so awesome! Bottom line is , if you want a reward you have to take a risk, and life is NOT something you want to go through without taking SOME risks, right? Enjoy the trip!
I'm thinking this is seabright street in santa cruz, huh?
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levi
They could have shot you also, yes???

I say no to Ha ha, and yes to, Thank God your still here.

My whole point is with a wife and two little daughters, there are better places that are much more condusive to family safety and general well being. The best example is this, (forget the bad guys) a broken arm or leg, a rattlesnake bite, food poisining.
At least in most of the American camping areas, you can get a hospital or aid or a helicopter to a good hospital, but in the middle of Baja? Speak to the hand
With adults, adventure on, with little chiildren and a baby, not wise!
seabright_sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be seabright ave in santa cruz... ah paradise on this warm indian summer day. I think I'm going to take a trial Baja run in January with my 10 year old in our Subaru. If all goes well, we'll be back in the Sunmer with the entire family and the westy. I welcome any advice for such an endeavor... westy or otherwise.
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabright
Sooo, what protective precautions are you instituting for this trip???
Vespagetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big B wrote:

Sooo, what protective precautions are you instituting for this trip???

Leaving paranoia at home?
hottpotato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: BAJA OR BUST Reply with quote

hey how is it going for you?
i have done severel trips to the tip of baja and too many to count in northern baja , winter of 94/95 was most memorable Very Happy we drove from seattle to todos santos and then spent all winter in southern baja-surfed my guts out Exclamation .we left seattle in nov 94 and returned to seattle may of 95. what an adventure that was-(i could write a book)
we limped back into seattle (ovals got us there and back)12,000 mi round trip ,bad gas cooked our engine:oops:

It all started with a 72 tranport bus[slinding doors on each side of bus]
bought in bozeman montana for 700$[very rare i might add] 1835 twin webers
syncros were badin the tranny, drove it back to seattle with a bungee cord holding it in 4th gear
took it to OVALS motorsports in Federal way Washington for a engine and tranny rebuild-some several thousand dollars later patricia was ready for baja.
we ran into trouble when trying to ford the arroyos[river/flash flood crossings] which are just dips in the road with markers telling you that it might be only this deep ,when in actuality the road has been washed out and its a death trap to cross-get out of your rig and wade across if the current is not too strong and if its deeper than knee deep you are on your own prayers.
we stalled,sucked water then pushed her out and limped into the next town 4 oil changes later to get all the water out of her we were on our way.
San Quintin[south of ensenada] is a rough town alot of roberies happen at night in town by gangs-roadside muggings do happen but are rare.
get gas before this area and get gas after in el rosario- then catarina [banditos in this area also]make sure to keep filled up if you can-AND BRING A JERRY CAN OR EQUIVALENT always keep 5 gallons of extra fuel with you because sometimes towns run out of gas!
secondly-bring enough octane boost fuel treatment for the trip
their gas is shit with alot of sulfur and low octane -which could burn up your engine quickly.
carry at least 1 distributor cap and rotor,plugwires,coil & condensor 2 oil filters and air filters along with the 3 fuel filters-their gas sometimes includes dirt and water with the low octane [special additivos]really the gas is terrible and its dusty-you need to treat your fuel every fillup!!!
we drove at night and day and would find a big semi to follow staying close behind, not too close to interfere with airflow to your engine-not recommended but its peaceful and they clear the way for cows horses and bandits!

[WARNING]if you smoke the green leave it at home! and wait till you get to your destination to suss it out-federales do exist and are as bad if not worse than the stories suggest! you wil go to prison wife raped and your belongings forever impounded!!! im not joking in the least bit!!!
now keep your bling and flash hidden only keep small bills ones fives tens twenties-200$ worth and only keep 20-40 on you in small bills remember
lots of ones Wink
this is bribe money if you do get pulled over, you ask if you can pay your fine on the spot so you wont have to follow him them all the way back to town Confused
the border towns of tijajuana, rosarita, ensenda, cabo, suck!-the towns of santa rosalia-mulege-la paz-TODOS SANTOS-sanjose del cabo are worth checking out.you can camp for free at a few spots outside of the towns or if you keep it contained you can stealth it if you stay inside your rig with the curtains closed.
you can ferry across from la paz to mainland if you wanna go tropical cause baja is the desert.
i prefer the desert for the lack of humidity and its so beautiful under a full moon at night-looks like your on another planet.
the food is cheap-taco stands are good-great fish tacos as you get further south into baja-drink ginger tea if you get sick and always drink coca cola as a preventitive against stomach bugs-this is what the locals do Wink
if you need any more info email me.
our trip will last a lifetime in our memmories-i would do it again in a heart beat if i could-GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we also owned a 8 month old pitbull at the time and she protected us well-this is the best suggestion for anti theft device and whatnot[she still is alive and still with me Very Happy !
we also took our two cats[one still lives with me] with had a roof rack welded on in vegas that could accomodate a queensize bed-the bed fit inside the van, all the stuff we did not need we put up above till we got to our basecamp in todos.
good stereo is essential!!!
may the wind be at your back and sunshine on your faces-VIA CON DIOS my friends
GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

Last edited by hottpotato on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big B wrote:
Levi
They could have shot you also, yes???

I say no to Ha ha, and yes to, Thank God your still here.

My whole point is with a wife and two little daughters, there are better places that are much more condusive to family safety and general well being. The best example is this, (forget the bad guys) a broken arm or leg, a rattlesnake bite, food poisining.
At least in most of the American camping areas, you can get a hospital or aid or a helicopter to a good hospital, but in the middle of Baja? Speak to the hand
With adults, adventure on, with little chiildren and a baby, not wise!

2 points:
1st....( and lots of folks have suggested I'm a little twisted for this, so if you think that way it's alright with me Laughing ....)I think living is too important to be cautious about it. Those who go to the same job everyday and live to pay the bills and the mortgage etc, not putting you down, but to me THAT is a wasted life. That's just my opinion! Just because so many live that way doesn't mean it's okay.
2nd... the media causes people's fears to be unbalanced. Killer bees get the spotlight if ONE person dies in this country, but 300,000 or so end up dead in car crashes! So what happens? We have a country filled with people terrified of every bee they see, but they don't hesitate to tailgate on the freeway.....Another 300,000 or so dead every year from cigarettes, but they're scared of flying cause 100 or so people a year die that way, and it makes the news...
Mexico? I've been all over that place, hitch-hiking, taking 3rd class buses with broken windows and chickens in the seat next to me, and traveling by myself lots of times. After 30 years of going to mexico I think I can say this much...the most dangerous part of this man's trip to baja will be on the highways he drives from s.c. to the u.s. border. Drop your fears with the hat-check girl and enjoy!
Thieves who are also psychopaths/sociopaths are pretty rare animals, but your chances of running into one are just as good on this side of the border, unless you lock yourself in the closet. The rest of the thieves are just charging you a tax, don't freak! and he is likely to be wearing a badge. Unfortunate, but I understand. They get paid almost nothing......
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enter Mexico in the morning, and put some distance between you and the border towns before evening.

When you get stuck in the sand (not IF), pull your handbrake on half-way for incredible traction through the sand.

Trust your sixth sense. If you think someone's sizing you up in your camping area, pick up stakes and MOVE. We had everything that wasn't nailed down stolen. Even my buddy's clothes, that were rolled up as a pillow. The thieves down there are good at what they do. Real good. Try not to take much worth stealing. OR take a few things that you don't mind losing or giving as gifts to the Federales.

A plastic Jesus or Madona on the dash doesn't hurt.

Most of the Mexican folks are absolutely great (as is the surf in Baja).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: