Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing a Bosch connector on an early FI system
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Replacing a Bosch connector on an early FI system Reply with quote

Here's something you won't get done at most shops.
This is a short thing on how to replace the broken connectors on your fuel injection system. Over the years the plugs on your vanagon have more than likey been taken off a few times, the tabs on the bottoms tend to break off, or even worse the clips will be left off and they flop around loose. These are the gremlins people speak of. intermitent trouble that no one can figure out. When they left the factory these connections where tight and protected against dirt and water.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here's the old cold start valve connection on my 81 Westy the red arrows show where it is broken. the clip is still one there but the connection is loose. I think the valve is in upside down but I don't think it matters.

here's the new parts we will be using. new boot, plug and clip.
What we are doing is changing just the plug, if your clips inside the plug are damaged you may have to splice the wires, but if you can just change the plug Like I'm doing its better.

since the old boot on the connector was so rotted I cut it off with an
X-acto knife, Then I took may trusty piece of wire(they sell a tool for this but you just need a piece of stiff wire, I just unbent a jumbo paper clip and use it) and placed in the first hole as far as it would go, I pulled the wire out enough so it would stay unhooked, and did the other, then I removed the plug end.

Discovery! the wire is missing some insulation under the old torn boot, potential "gremlin". My two clips are in good shape, so I cleaned the green off the spots and sealed them with a small bit of rtv adheasive. You have to keep the wires small so don't go wrapping a bunch of tapr around them or the boot won't fit over them. Be careful with the wires as they can be a bit brittle with heat and age.

the blue in the picture represents the wire and what you are doing to free the clip from the plug. push the wire in the tab goes down and you can pull out the clip.

Next put on the new boot, it's a snug fit so take your time, and becareful of the clip ends. Here it is all done, nice and snug and water tight.
Note: the old connector was a light blue/green like the cold start valve this was a color coding system that came stock, I wasn't going to try to track down a blue one, you could paint it, I just wanted a good connection like it's supposed to be.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tutorial! Did you go to Busboys for the connector?
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the plugs with pigtails (connectors with wires and clip ends) on Ebay, and The rubber boots I got here:
http://www.eagleday.com/ampconnectors.html
The boot was expensive but this place sent them fast.
So if you order all stuff from here I think it would be ok.
I'm sure if Bus Depot has the parts they would be fine.
I know bus boys sells parts just not the boots. These connectors have been used in lots of cars not just VWs for a few years. I learned how to change these things years ago on Datsun 280zs. Wink
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Do you know if the connector set below it marked (ECK-117) is the same as the one that fits on to the back of our AFMs? I cant remember off the top of my head how many terminals that on has.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, FYI according to Bentley (Pg.24.2) that cold start is actually up side down.
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the archives
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227137&highlight=
link for other sources for all the parts including a crimper & better prices for the FI connectors using a mass market replacement from
MSD connector/terminal Part No 2400 pkg of 8 eight connectors $15
you can also replace the connector on the temp2 & other that use the same fi connector
http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=MSD2400/424.0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: