Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barry Mini-t 4 #11060....
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Barry Mini-t 4 #11060.... Reply with quote

OK.... Went to look at an old Buggy a guy had behind a barn. Had a placard with the same information as my subject line. I did a little research and saw a few pictures but not a lot of information. I understand the body was designed by George Barris and was made by an independant company. There were two styles a four seater and a 2 seater.
The body is in real good shape but the pan will have go. His asking price is 700.00. Should I or shouldnt I and what are the chances of find period correct parts to restore this beast.
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy.

Investments
Buggys and Trikes are some of the fastest assembly investments. We paid $2500 for our MiniT (first aircooled) have had multiple people offer in excess of this to buy it on the spot. Buggies are a hot item right now... prices are topping $5k for a well thought out bug...

Make sure it's an authentic Berry 2 Seater... the Maxi Taxi is a dog to sell... it's a huge bonus if the shell has useable metal flake.

MiniT & Barris.
Street rumour is that George Barris did the initial design on a nakin.. a family went into production and cut (kut in Barris english) ol' George out of it. There are some designs details that show if it's a "berry" (california company) mold or one of the several knock offs... make sure it's a Berry and not Barrien, Kellingson etc.

Many people favor the later mold with the larger fenders... better lines.

Pan
MiniTs should only be placed on a ball joint chassis... I can go into detail if interested.... check the front above the shock towers for spiderwebbeing... 90% need some work as they did not follow the instructions.

Accessories.
As far as I know, we have one of the few Berry T's that has all of the accessories. I've never seen any of the parts come up for sale. They initially sold them like a Kosher deli--- everything separate so you don't choke on the total price. You really don't want the bench seat some came from.

I have the original bumpers if you want them... we won't use them.... can help you with the pattern for the glass etc.

Cool car ... if you like riding a tackle box with no storage.... and everyone pointing and laughing at your "shriner's car"
ksis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body is not mounted to a chassis. There is spider webbing on the passanger front fender. The body is covered in silver metal flake. All seems in good condition, just need to be polished. The buggy still has the original windsheild but the wings are missing. I have the original bumpers but no headlights.
Ther is a placard on the drivers side dash that says Berry mini-t 4 wit the serial number 11060. On the passanger side dash ther is a scriptive badge that says Mini-t 4. My confusion is in the fact it is a four seater???
Are ther any other web sites that may list this buggy or a club that dirves these. Thanks for your help.
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been under the impression that a MiniT was only a 2 seater --- could be wrong... Thought the MaxiTaxi was a different company.

What shape is the front windshield?

Best info on this car are the articles in 1969-1970 Road and Track.
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted earlier... a 4 seater is not as easy to sell... the dimensions and proportions do not photograph like the 2 seater.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

White is not an original color.
ksis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxi Taxi had swing awa doors? This buggy does not. I has the placards for a Mini-t. The buggy is shaped like the pic above but has a larger windshield.
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that there may have been some limited 4 seaters... never known one with the curved lower portion of the windshield.

Our windshield is lower --- the stock tall ones look goofy.... chopped they don't do much --- especially if you're running the deathtrap bench seat they were designed to use.

T.
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot one of the BIGGEST reasons to think MiniT.

If done correctly for street use... collectors insurance companies will cover them as kit cars. Dune buggies are normally excluded from Grundy/Haggerty etc.

Nothing beats $60/year full coverage.... except free...
Yellermanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend's t 4

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ksis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T-4 I am looking at is just like the one above. So back to my original question, is it worth 700? Would it be a good project and investment to sell later on?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing it, $700 seems fair

The green one above might sell in the 5K-6K range.
ksis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Ill take some pics this weekend....then get an idea. think if I roll in with 500 cash he will go for it. Thanks for the Help. Keep yor eys peeled for a few pics to come.....
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 seater would be tough to sell for 3k+... possibly $1500-3 if done well.

Overall Buggies are chick cars. If they're not "cute" then they're dogs to sell.

To resell your $500 may be better put into a Manx Clone... parts are easier and they're easier to sell than the 4 seater.

I'd guess $200-250 is a fair price for the tub.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like from the other pictures people have provided in this string, that the headlights are buckets, on stalks, just like the ones used on Manx style cars, easily purchased new or found at a Volkswagen swap meet. I wouldn't let the lack of headlight assemblies scare you off, unless you absolutely have to have the ones that came with the car in order to sleep well at night.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: