Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 transmission into a bug
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dougiebugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: 914 transmission into a bug Reply with quote

Question I have a 74 standard beetle and I would like to put a 914 transmission. Does anyone know if this can be done, If so how hard is it to do? and what is involved...Is there a website. I have a 914 tranny that was donated to my cause. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, you will have to flip the ring and pinion or you will have 5 gears in reverse. Locate a 911 nose cone and shift lever and it will work.

The 914 tranny is set up for a mid engine car so you do have to modify it.

Geoff
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougiebugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: 914 transmission Reply with quote

I need more....more....more...actually I'm afraid to attack this project. How hard is it to flip the gears..How hard is it to put on a 911 nose cone?....Is there a tech page with this information? more...MOre...More
Thanks for what you've given me so far, you just wet my appetite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You take apart the tranny and remove the gear stack and intermediate plate. Careful with the paper gaskets as they are color coded and you have to match them with new ones.
Remove the differental and install it on the other side of the tranny.
Reinstall the intermediate plate and gear stack installing the new paper gaskets with the same color coding.
Install the 911 nose cone and adjust the shift forks.

Get a manual as there are some tricky things that need to be set and the sychros should be changed if you are pulling in apart.
On Shoptalkforums.com there used to be a article for install a 901 in a bug. Look there for it.

Geoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type4parts
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Type4parts on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type4parts
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type4parts
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get the proper 901 transmission for the conversion ---
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: flip? Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
yeah, you will have to flip the ring and pinion or you will have 5 gears in reverse. Locate a 911 nose cone and shift lever and it will work.

The 914 tranny is set up for a mid engine car so you do have to modify it.

Geoff

flip the R/P in a 914 tranny? Are you high? It is a single sided tunnel. How are you going to flip the ring to the other side? Rolling Eyes

for rear engine application, you have to turn the tranny upside down. That is right...upside down... if you you want the motor to be in the rear.

There will be some welding and moving of breather holes and so forth.

Not an easy proposition.

Enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 911 901 is the same as the 914 901 tranny other than the R&P are flipped.
Lots of 914 guys when rebuilding a tranny make the mistake of installing the R&P on the wrong side and get 5 gears in reverse.

Now a G50 has to be upside down in a 914.....

Geoff
Griznant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: flip? Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

flip the R/P in a 914 tranny? Are you high? It is a single sided tunnel. How are you going to flip the ring to the other side? Rolling Eyes

for rear engine application, you have to turn the tranny upside down. That is right...upside down... if you you want the motor to be in the rear.

There will be some welding and moving of breather holes and so forth.

Not an easy proposition.

Enjoy.

People who come out and spew this kind of misinformation are the worst kind.

You are wrong. The R&P is easily flipped, the trans can be converted for use in a Bug (or 911/912) with the right parts, and it will work just fine.

I have a tailshift 914 trans in my 912, and it is certainly NOT upside down.

You will need a 911/912 side plate with the clutch tube fitting, a 911 nose cone, and a 911 shift rod. You need to plug up the stock vent hole and relocate the vent to the opposite side of the case (the cast in boss is already there), so that fluid is not thrown up through the vent when the ring gear is on the opposite side of the case. You need to alter the location of a boss on the intermediate plate so it lines up with the 911 nose cone (the material is there for this, just drill and move the locating pin).

This applies only to early tailshift 914 trannies. The later side shift transmissions would be far more difficult to create a shift linkage for.

Care to explain why you even think the way you do?

Grant
'73 Standard
'72 Super w/Subaru EJ25
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: flip? Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

flip the R/P in a 914 tranny? Are you high? It is a single sided tunnel. How are you going to flip the ring to the other side?

The same way people have been doing it with all non-hypoid single side cover transmissions (901, 915. 930, SSC VW, etc) for decades: Install the diff/ring gear before installing the mainshaft/pinion gear cluster. It's not rocket science.
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a conversion kit for making the install of a 901 or 915 easier.
http://www.bugat5speed.de/
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about mounting the 901 into a Type 3? I just learned that the floorpan is different from the T-1.
I just brought my first T-3 home yesterday, and it is the T-3 I'm planning to convert to Porsche... Wink

I'm mainly concerned about the nosecone and the gearshift axle entry to the floorpan tunnel...

Edit-> Oh. forgot to tell you that it's got the IRS rearframe without rear transmission mount horns..
The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
budmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hebster i was wondering if there is a way i can read the literature on that website. everything is in german. can it be translated to english or am i just screwed and have to figure it out by the pics.
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi You can use Babelfish (Link below)
http://babelfish.altavista.com/

The site is Swedish but basically you copy the URL for the site you want to translate into the empty "http://" row below Översätt en Websida.

Then you pick Tyska till Engelska from "Välj till och från språk" and click Översätt.

I hope this helps. Very Happy
The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
budmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that site helped me out a whole bunch. thank you very much. i might even buy some of their products when they finish the prototypes. a little pricey but i am sure it is all worth it.
roberto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 67 901 5-speed for sale have the shifter, shift rod, hanger, tranny. feel free to contact me, if anyone is interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those axles also need something to bolt into besides the tranny on one end! Make it easy and just weld control arm mounts on. Or also convert your swingaxle to IRS and get a clean looking drop without your car looking like it just peed itself and is trying not to step in it! DO This I---I not this /----\ !!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=276121
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to go is offcourse to convert to IRS... You can then even use 944 trailingarms and rear discbrakes... Wink

There is no 901 Swingaxle transmission... Rolling Eyes
The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: