Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 transmission into a bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
budmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: irs rear end Reply with quote

hebster i was contimplating the same problem. i have a type 34 and it was originally a swing. had to replace the floor pans and found a good clean irs pan. what i will be doing is using the original rear section and welding in some irs pockets so that i can use the 901 that i have. by the way you will still have some neg camber just not nearly as bad as the swing. don't worry though it's not that bad. if you decide to go this route then make sure you find some good pockets as some aftermarket ones really suck.
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go 944 but it wouldln't be the same as just using parts from the same model donor. Direct conversions rule!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi budmann. If you have a Swing T-34 you dont have to change the complete floorpan.. All you need to do is change the rear subframe. It is bolted to the floorpan with three bolts. The floopan was allready swapped in my -64 Type 34 to an IRS. It even have the rear engine mounts welded in the body. (The T-3(34) IRS subframe doesn't have the framehorns for the rear mounts on the Tranny at all. Wink

Yes, Airsick I hear you. Very Happy It is exactly what I was saying. Just using parts from the 944 (trailingarms and complete discbrakes). They are just bolt on to any IRS equiped T-1 or T-3.... Wink
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
budmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand what you are saying about changing out just the subframe. my original floors were basically flintstone. it was easier and alot cheaper for me to just use a whole bottom end. i don't have the rear hangers welded on to the car nor do i want them, that is why i am going to use my first subframe and convert it over to irs. i would really like to see some pics of your car.
roberto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
roberto Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:20 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have a 67 901 5-speed for sale have the shifter, shift rod, hanger, tranny. feel free to contact me, if anyone is interested.

not any more. thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
biggraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy my 914s tranny etc with a running 1.8 and rest of a 75 914 for an amazingly low $750.... Very Happy

Check the classifieds....
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
yeah, you will have to flip the ring and pinion or you will have 5 gears in reverse. Locate a 911 nose cone and shift lever and it will work.

The 914 tranny is set up for a mid engine car so you do have to modify it.

Geoff

What 911 (year range) nose cone is preferable? For the shift lever, you mean the actual stick shift, or one of the internal levers?
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69-71 901 nose cone and shiftrods and hockey stick. Nose cone is the tail cover with the speedo drive assembly which is different for a 911 (rear shifting) vs 914 (side or tail shifting).
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng,
I want to put a 5 speed in my buggy. Several years ago I got a 67 911 trans and was adapting it to work in my irs pan but I decided to go with the later more conversion friendly magnesium case. I was given a 914 trans but it is broken around the starter and I'll have to locate another one or an empty case. Seems 914 trans axles are easier to locate cheaply.
Anyway can I use the 67 nose cone assembly with a 914 trans?
When flipping the ring gear do you have to set backlash or other similar concerns ?
Bart
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 67 901 nose cone will fit along with all the shift rods.

Always check the backlash but it shouldn't change much if at all.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a 914 transaxle shell ?

What about the starter? I think an autostick Bug starter would work or I may have to shave about 7mm from the starter flange perhaps.
I am using a type 1 engine and flywheel.
Stefan T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auto starter to a type 3 or a auto starter to wbx vangon fits

see this thred for example for mounting a 914 trans in a type 3

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=310868&highlight=914
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng
I've been reviewing your posts on the samba regarding 5 speed swapping and you are hands down the most knowledgeable !
I am trying to figure a way to use the VW shifter, I suppose it is a matter of the lockout plate. What can you tell me ??
Bart
Ryan Strong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Similar situation Reply with quote

I have a '74 bug and '75 914. can the 914 engine and transmission go in the beetle? Can the 914 engine be used with the beetle transmission? This was my uncle's project. I'm trying to remember how he was going to use everything.
MRRAGPICKER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Similar situation Reply with quote

Ryan Strong wrote:
I have a '74 bug and '75 914. can the 914 engine and transmission go in the beetle? Can the 914 engine be used with the beetle transmission? This was my uncle's project. I'm trying to remember how he was going to use everything.

You should check out this site. It it has a whole Forum devoted to just what your asking.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1
RA 70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hebster52 wrote:
Here is a conversion kit for making the install of a 901 or 915 easier.
http://www.bugat5speed.de/

For english http://www.bugat5speed.de/en/
72sebeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: 914 side shift and a T1 engine on a 74 SB Reply with quote

Sorry to post a simmilar queation here, but I cant get to make a new post.

I have a great cummuter bug, but I would like to install a 914 side shift 5 speed tranny, I was wondering if it is too much trouble. I live in the LA area and 65mph doesnt cut it.
what modifications do I need to make?
Please email info to
[email protected]

Thanks fot the help!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding that using a side shift transmission is difficult at best. Then again, it could just be that most people choose to use the tail shift versions just because they're readily available and easier. If you look around the forums though (here, shoptalk, and Germanlook.net) I'm sure you can find what you need.

I could see why 65 wouldn't cut it in LA. When I was there last we were doing 75 and still getting pasted on both sides.
Green12creeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 transmission into a bug Reply with quote

Do you have use the Porsche shifter assembly or can you use the vw bug and just modify it like the Porsche to make it work? I have a lot more questions and I need to know if I can put a Subaru motor on the 914 transaxle with the vw adapter plate or do they make one for just Porsche?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 transmission into a bug Reply with quote

If you are going with a subaru engine, you might as well use a Subaru 5 speed too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: