Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine pics + carb help
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: engine pics + carb help Reply with quote

here's the engine with out any tin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now with the carb, how do i keep that thing from doing that? weird question but i want to know.

is there a piece i'm missing, i want to control this thing but can't it just moves down. like if i were to give it gas it would move down like in the previous picture and the flap in the top would be flat, or does that thing have something to do wit hthe automatic choke?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is your fast idle cam. It's used for when the engine is cold. If your choke works properly, it will slowly move up allowing the lever to seat normally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it just hangs out until its warmed up then eh'y?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a small pin in the cutout in the "fast idle cam" that prevents it from rotating too far. If it's missing, you can use a new roll pin from you local hardware store or a tiny nail.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pin is there, but it goes over it just slightly enough to make me worry. can't wait to take the bus for a spin though, i want to pop that bad boy in there so bad! Very Happy
dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it's missing, you can use a new roll pin from you local hardware store or a tiny nail.

small piece of wire coat hanger works also. (saved my ass last April on the way home from Classic Camber show.)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtylawnchair wrote:
Quote:
If it's missing, you can use a new roll pin from you local hardware store or a tiny nail.

small piece of wire coat hanger works also. (saved my ass last April on the way home from Classic Camber show.)

I'm wondering why you had a coat hanger with you at a show? Need to beat off the admirers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could rotate the choke so that it doesn't close that far.
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
so it just hangs out until its warmed up then eh'y?

The choke is on the other side. You hook up a wire from the coil that supplies a small about of voltage to the choke. It heats it up causing the cam to lift up.

When you go to rebuild your carb some day, you will find out how it works. It's a very simple system but it does the job.

Good luck!
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that coil for the choke is small and winds up inside, i've seen it in a 28 pci that i found. nice thanks for the help. i noticed this when i was going through the classifieds. my bus
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=200108
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought at the engine pictures was "those are some clean heads..."
67 Delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I have a question. I have been searching around here for days now. I have the same type of carb on my 67 Deluxe. It's a single port 1500. My question is... how do I adjust the Automatic Choke. I can't find how to do this anywhere. The "Idoit" book doesn't help much, and no one on here has seemed to describe this adjustment.

Can someone help me with this?

I guess my problem would help too. My engine starts up with every turn of the key. No Problem. But after about 3 minutes, it warms up and then dies. I've check all the idel adjustments, and the jet as well. It runs fine all day long, as long as I keep my foot on that gas pedal. Soon as I take it off, it dies. I've been reading about this problem over the last few weeks on many post's. But non of the replies have resloved the issue. I think the choke is the last item too look at. I just don't know how to adjust it???

Any help? Thanks
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/carburetors.php
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From above:
EverettB wrote:

Assuming the choke is working - does it get hot when power is applied?

You rotate the choke to adjust it.

Normally the choke should be correct when a mark on the choke lines up with an arrow on the carb. body but over time, sometimes the spring gets worn out and unless you bend the spring, you might to adjust it/rotate it to different location.

You can see the lines here

My choke is adjusted a little bit off, an NOS choke would probably adjust with the center ridge.
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
From above:
EverettB wrote:

Normally the choke should be correct when a mark on the choke lines up with an arrow on the carb. body but over time, sometimes the spring gets worn out and unless you bend the spring, you might to adjust it/rotate it to different location.

My choke is adjusted a little bit off, an NOS choke would probably adjust with the center ridge.
what is the knob piece where the idle cutoff goes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
67 Delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you just unscrew the 3 screws a bit and turn it one way or the other to adjust it? I assume this is when the engine is off? After I turn it a bit, start the engine up again and see if that worked. And if not, turn it the other way or more the same direction?

Is that the idea, or am I way off? I don't see any marks on your carb or choke. Maybe I'm not looking close enough. I'll have to go home and look at mine. I've never noticed any marks on there either.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow36hp wrote:
EverettB wrote:
From above:
EverettB wrote:

what is the knob piece where the idle cutoff goes

That is the solenoid connection. That's a really early one, like 62 and earlier only. Rare if you need it, lame if you don't.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Delux wrote:
So you just unscrew the 3 screws a bit and turn it one way or the other to adjust it? I assume this is when the engine is off? After I turn it a bit, start the engine up again and see if that worked. And if not, turn it the other way or more the same direction?

Is that the idea, or am I way off? I don't see any marks on your carb or choke. Maybe I'm not looking close enough. I'll have to go home and look at mine. I've never noticed any marks on there either.

Looks closely at the photos above and you will see 3 bumps on the carb. body. Your carb. may have 1 or more. There is a line on the choke itself so you know where to line it up.

You can adjust it while it's running, it doesn't matter. A good way to adjust it is to turn on the ignition, let the choke heat up. Watch it for a few minutes and make sure it's completely open. It should take a few minutes to totally open. Of course, it depends how cold it is outside on how closed it might be.
67 Delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So last night I got home and found the marks on my choke. You were right, there are 3 bumbs on the carb and 1 notch on the choke. The guy I bought it from had set it pretty much in the middle. He may not have moved it for a while. I took it out to see how the thing looked... It was old and rusty looking. I got most of the rust off and plugged it in to see if it got hot. Seems to get plenty hot. Kept burning my hand while holding it.

I put it back on, started the engine, and after it warmed up when it usually starts to stall I started to turn it counter clockwise. I noticed the eninge started to hold on a little longer. I kept going a little farther and "WA LA", it stayed on. I was so happy. The first time since I have bought the thing, it has stayed on all by it self. So I adjusted the Idle air screw and what not, got it running pretty nice, and just sat back and enjoyed the beautiful sounds.

I turned off the engine, finished up a few things before it got to dark. Then went in to get the wife to show her the good news. Came back out to start it up and no go! Mad

It turned and turned and turned, didn't even start this time. So she was like way to go, at least it was running before. So I go back to the engine, and noticed the choke was all the way close. The cam had turned so far that the throtle had been stuck open almost full. So I held the cam back to warmed up position and had her turn it over. Started right up. It idled a bit rough at first, then once warmed up ran fine again.

What is the deal??? It either runs fine when warmed up or starts fine, but not both. If I turn the choke back so that it can start when cold, then it won't stay on. Do you think the choke has seen to many miles and needs to be replaced? When I had it adjusted so that it would stay on, the notch was pointed about 7 o'clock, or about 1/4 turn past the 3 little bumps. I know it shouldn't be that far off, but it ran, so I was happy.

What should I do?
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try pushing on your gas pedal before you try to start it after running it. You need to reset the trottle cam & when you depress you gas pedal it will reset, well , it should Rolling Eyes I adjust my electric chokes by loosing the 3 screws & turn the choke until the butterfly flap is just about closed all the way & tighten the 3 screws back up. good luck

**EDIT** the carb/motor needs to be cold when setting the choke****

Last edited by mintonman on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: