Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine pics + carb help
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjust the choke so it comes off (opens up all the way) pretty quick.

The choke is a luxury item. You don't need it once the engine warms up a bit.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well last night I got home, did a little more adjusting on the old Choke. I took it out again, to make sure I had the sping and the pin making contact with each other. I used my little mirror to see down the hole. I started it fully open, this was cold too. Then turned it counterclockwise till it just about shut. It's pretty warm where i live. Last night it was 65 when I was doing this. So I checked where it was compared to the 3 bumps, it was right on the center one. Seemed like a good place. So I tightened everything up, had the wife start her up. Fired right up! Very Happy It started to warm up and I could hear the engine start to speed up as it was warming up. Everything running alright.

Then it warmed up, and started to spudder. The whole time this was going on, I was watching down the air intake hole to see the butterfly valve. It started to open slowly. As it opened I noticed that the engine ran worse and worse. It seems that the more air it gets, the harder it is to keep going.

Is it possible to have to much air in the engine???

I know there is the idle air adjustment valve on the side of the carb. I've messed with that a bunch, but never seem to get anywhere by turning that. I turn it all the way in and it dies, and I turn it all the way out and it dies. But the whole time in the middle it doesn't change anything. From what I have read, it's suppose to spead up and slow down. Mine just dies right before you get it fully open or closed. Could that be the porblem?

When I hold my hand over the air intake, and control the amount of air that the engine gets, I can get it to run just fine without having to give it gas. So it must be some kind of an air problem? Right???

Thanks for the help people!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That idle cutoff solenoid is where I'd look. Do you have the normal jet for that hole? Does the solenoid click? Try turning the thumbwheel all the way to clockwise.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, check the idle solenoid to make sure it is clicking (if it's electric).

Pull it out and look at it too. I had a problem with one that someone had drilled larger. The Bus ran fine until the carb. was rebuilt and rebushed. It wouldn't idle once everything was nice and clean and tight. I replaced the idle jet with one that wasn't drilled out to some huge size and everything was great.

The air/fuel mixture screw is usually about 1.5 turns out or at least that is a good place to start.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
That idle cutoff solenoid is where I'd look. Do you have the normal jet for that hole? Does the solenoid click? Try turning the thumbwheel all the way to clockwise.

I'm not sure what the idle cutoff solenoid is? If you talking about the idle air adjustment, then that's what I have been adjusting. There is another jet type thing I noticed on the right side of the carb. It screws into the side of the carb, and sticks out about 2 inch's and has a wire coming into the side of it. Not sure what that is for. I unscrewed it, and made sure it was clean. What does that do?

I'm not sure what jet you are refering to? I took out the bolt that goes into the side of the bowl in back of the carb, drained out the gas in there (looked pretty clean), and then took out the jet that was in there. Not sure what that one is called. It was a little plugged up, so I cleaned it out. Since I have done that, I haven't started it back up again. It was 11 o'clock by the time I got that all put back together. Maybe tonight!

As far as clicking goes. When the key is turned to the on position, there is a clicking noise that come from with in the engine. Not sure what it is. But I can hear something.
67 Delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here is a picture of what I am talking about. This is another Carb, not mine! But I noticed the same thing on this one... What is that little thing coming out the side of the carb (Red arrow pointing to it)? Mine is on the right side. I have the 30 PICT-2 carb.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
spiffy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the idle cut off solenoid.

www.rivieraregistry.com
67 Delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so besides the clicking noise I am looking for... how else can I tell if this thing is working. It seemed to be in pretty good shape, not to dirty either. The wiring on this bus is about to be redone. It's a mess, and I'm not pleased with how it looks, but that's another story. From what I can recall while sitting at my desk here at work, the wire came off the solenoid and went up to the coil... is that how it's suppose to be? If not, where should it be going to?

How can I adjust this solenoid if it's not working correctly?

So Everett, your saying I should screw in the idle air adjustment all the way, then come back out 1.5 turns? I had mine about 5 to 8 turns out from what I can remember. Maybe that is part of the problem. The more I had it turned in, the harder it was to run.
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Delux wrote:
the wire came off the solenoid and went up to the coil... is that how it's suppose to be?

That's fine, electric choke is on the same line too. That puts both the solenoid and choke on when the key is on.

67 Delux wrote:

I had mine about 5 to 8 turns out from what I can remember. Maybe that is part of the problem. The more I had it turned in, the harder it was to run.

Yep, start there. Here are great step-by-step instructions on carb adjusting thanks to Rob & Dave at vw-resource ... time to take Carburetors 1A -- Separate write-ups for single screw and double screw carbs ---> http://www.vw-resource.com/fuellinks.html
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idle mixture screw can be bad if there is no change as you screw it in or out. They get grooves in them over the years, so you might want to pull it all the way out & look at it. You might want to try closing the choke alittle more so it opens a little later/slower.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you found the solenoid. Turn the key to on and go undo and touch the wire several times to the solenoid. It should click. Turn off your key. The later style had a small screw you could turn to defeat the electric part and on yours I think it's the knurled thumb screw. I think, but I'm not sure on those early ones, that you turn it clockwise to defeat. Set your idle mixture screw at 2.5 turns from fully closed. I was saying to get rid of the solenoid and get the correct jet for that hole. The one you discovered in the big gassy hole was the Main jet.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to go with a 30pic 1 jetted for ur size engine from Kiefernet . I mucked with my carb for a few weeks and figured go to an expert and buy one . works great now .
spiffy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
You might want to go with a 30pic 1 jetted for ur size engine from Kiefernet . I mucked with my carb for a few weeks and figured go to an expert and buy one . works great now .

X2

Nice to have a fresh rebuild on the carb so you aren't fighting with other variables.

Not to discount the diagnostic learning and effort though. That is very important as well.

www.rivieraregistry.com
67 Delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well last night I went and bought a rebuild kit for the carb. Came with new gaskets, a new air idle adjuster, a new main jet, and a few other things. It was raining to hard for me to be outside last night, so I took the night off. This weekend I'll get back into it and let you all know what happens.

Thanks for the great advice. I appriciate it!
67 Delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been a few days now, and I have some progress. I rebuilt the carb last weekend. Replaced all the gaskets, jets, and fuel pump. Put it all back together, and it ran beautifuly!!!

I got it to run perfectly at 850 RPM's. I was so happy. It was a magical experience.

So I've been taking it out more and more. Just to see if I can find anything else wrong with it, or work more of the bugs out of it. The wife and I took it out to dinner Friday night. Got it on the freway for the first time. Even hit 65 MPH, a firt in the bus that's for sure. It was maxed out at 52 before. We put about 35 miles on it that night. So we were coming home got about 2 blocks from the house, had to stop at a stop sign, and the engine dies. What gives. It had been running perfectly all night. So I go to start it up... Nothing, It's dead. Like the battery died or something. SO I have my wife stear as I push it off the road. I sat there for a sec running everythign threw my mind trying to figure something out. And she says, well are you going to start it. So I try again. Starts right up. What happened? We drive home, ran fine the rest of the way there.

I got up saturday morning to check things out. I started it up, ran fine. Let it warm up, and took it for a spin around the block. First stop sign I got to, it died again. "Oh Great, might have to walk home." Started it agian, fired right up. Now, I'm back to where I started before the rebuild of the carb. So I thought... Drove it a little farther, and it was fine. However, since that morning it has been making a chirping noise. It sounds like it's coming from the main drive shaft. Can't put my finger out it, but it's almost like a loose belt. But it's not that, cause I just changed it, and made sure it was tight.

So to make a long post even longer, anyone have some ideas for me??? I'm at a total loss on the stalling now. I thought for sure I had fixed the problem with the rebuild kit. Oh and the solenoid works fine. I tested that as well. I just can't figure out what else it may be.

And any idea's on the chirping. It goes away at high RPM's. But you here it real well at idel.

Thanks
derv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but I have been wondering about this. You mentioned you rebuilt the carb using a kit...I have messed with this many years ago but just replaced the pieces from the kit that I was positive where they go on the carb - usually leaving left-over pieces.

Is there a guide or source of info somewhere that lists the parts in a carb rebuild kit and where exactly they go? I have always been afraid of doing carb work myself but I still would like to learn.

Quote:
Mr. Hido: To post your bare ass to virtually all hardened bus enthusiasts casts thick, a slag not easily ground smooth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derv wrote:
Slightly off topic, but I have been wondering about this. You mentioned you rebuilt the carb using a kit...I have messed with this many years ago but just replaced the pieces from the kit that I was positive where they go on the carb - usually leaving left-over pieces.

Is there a guide or source of info somewhere that lists the parts in a carb rebuild kit and where exactly they go? I have always been afraid of doing carb work myself but I still would like to learn.

In the kits I recently got, it was pretty obvious which parts didn't belong.

67 Delux, I would try opening up (CCW) the mixture control (small) screw 1/2 turn or so and see if that helps. Also, I set my idle around 1000rpm with the big screw....It stalls like yours if I set it any lower.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit I bought was similar to the Wolfburg west kit. It comes with about 6 different gaskets, a few brass fittings, and other various items. I had never done this before either. I bought my first air cool VW (my 67 deluxe) back in december, so this is all new to me. I just took it out of the engine, and started taking things apart. You can pretty much hold any of the gaskets up to an area on the carb, and tell where they go. The reason there is so many different pieces to the kit, is because this kit fits about 3 or 4 different carbs. Mine is the 30 PICT-1. I know if fits the 28 and the 32 as well. So if you need to re build it, just tear it apart, and learn the hard way. It took me about 45 minutes. And that was because I was trying to see how everything worked on the thing.

Next question: What is the CCW mixture control screw Culito? I'm not familiar with that one? Can you point it out on a picture or something. Where on the carb is it located?

Thanks.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derv wrote:

A good rebuild kit will have a diagram and instructions with it. It's real easy, don't be scerrd!

BTW, I've never had a kit that came with a new main jet- mixture screw and the filler that opens and closes with the float yes, but never an actual jet.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crofty, all those items were not part of the kit. Some of them had to be purchased seperately. I was just saying that I replaced with along the way.

From what I recall, it came with the main gasket that connects the two halfs of the carb. It has a fuel pump gasket, another gasket shaped like a triangle (Not sure what it was), a fuel float holder plastic thing, the brass valve that lets the fuel into the bowl, and the gasket that conects the carb to the engine.

There was another brass item, but my carb did not use it. So I don't know what it was for. It was about 1.5" long, and real thin. Anyone know what it was used for?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: