Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Cupholder Options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found them in a box-o-stuff at a swap meet. Possibly an RV dealer might have them. Sorry I can't be of more help. If you do happen to find some let me know. mine are mismatch. I have 2 black and 1 brown.
seiferthj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Cupholders Reply with quote

I have electric windows so this may not work if you have manual ones but I was able to mount a fold-down cupholder (for a eurovan, gotten from eurocampers) on the door vinyl just behind and below the vent window. The top of the cup is a bit above the steering wheel and very convenient to reach. When the cup is empty I fold it up out of the way.

Here's the cupholder: http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1131563&showprevnext=1

Justin
'89 Syncro Westfalia
'93 EV MV
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthmuffin wrote:
I got the plastic fold down type and mounted them on the passenger seat pedastal across from the e-brake.

Couple things though, if you go this route, place them gingerly, the last thing you want to do is put a screw or a drill bit through the battery or the fuel overflow tank. The other thing is that these work great, just be sure to stow them when they are not in use. A dog and a kid will break them in nothing flat if they are left down.

Yea, what he said. Wink
My '91 came with the cup holders on the pass. seat base, it took about 6 months to break them, after that, your REALLY careful if/when you replace them, my kids broke 3 out of 5 in the '91, but I found 3 in a parts vanagon !!!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you just use tape to hold the cup to the door? That would stop it from falling over.
Monoscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Cup Holder my fiance made for the van. She made it from an old wooden part box we found at Boeing surplus.
It fits perfect between the seats, not as huge as those stupid center consoles that you always trip over trying to get in the back.

I'll bolt it in some day

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lordsniff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my solution to the problem of where to hang your coffee cup .
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=235925

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=235926

This is made from scrap timber and all I have done is make a bottomless box approx 8 inches by 7 inches by 4 inches .
The back side that rests up against the bulkhead is cut at an angle and I covered the whole thing with carbon fiber vinyl .
At the moment the box is just resting on the floor with the rubber cover stuck to it using double sided tape .
As this is just a prototype I will not fix it unless there are snags to sort out .
The cup holders are screwed to the sides and are very handy to reach .
The box does not interfere with gear changing and it could be possible to fit guages to it or even put a player in there , but thats for the future .

2001 Honda
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clever, everyones ideas are good.
Keep'em coming if ya got'em
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders . Reply with quote

Link to a Walmart $5 cup holder

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672484

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders . Reply with quote

My take on it. First I tried the same style folding cup holder with the hinged arms. Those didn't work well because the base was angled too low and the arms wanted to un-hinge with heavier/taller beverages especially under heavy acceleration Shocked Sad . Then I bought the ring style folding cup holders you see here. Not only did it solve the opening arm issue, but when unfolded the base was more level to the floor. The only thing I had to modify was... enlarging the ring slightly with a dremel tool so my 16oz Hydroflask mugs would fit. Took about 10 min on each ring. I also put black non-slip shelf liner on the bases of each cup holder using Elmer's spray adhesive. This quiets any rattling that can occur with metal containers. Best part... the cup holders are mounted using only VHB tape. No holes. Cheers!

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders . Reply with quote

Nice mods. Plus I have an automatic, too and those are a great spot vs the aisle from the factory - where eventually they'll get kicked and broken. Thanks!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders . Reply with quote

This has held up pretty well for nearly a year. I also like the cup holders mounted on the auto stick housing. My next challenge is finding a place for my submnglasses. I think I'll reinstall the map pocket to the driver's door.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders . Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
... My next challenge is finding a place for my submnglasses. I think I'll reinstall the map pocket to the driver's door.

I've been very happy with these two solutions for several years now...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1OFQ86/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Croakies-Shade-Dock-Visor-C...asses+clip
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders . Reply with quote

^^^ Thanks for the ideas! That's an approach I hadn't considered.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders . Reply with quote

how about here...?

B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders . Reply with quote

This is our current solution. Marine swiveling cup holders (Atwood brand maybe?).

Not a nifty as some of the others, but they work reasonably well. My wife jammed some foam blocks we happened to have on hand in between the wires on the back side to dampen the motion a bit. (I'm not convinced they are really necessary, but I'm not about to remove them). I like the cutout in the front for cup handles.

The whole dash is kind of a mess and I have no idea what the cut-out in the heater cover was for. The ashtray on the top of the dash had a hole cut through it presumably for some sort of gadget. The radio (from PO) is just crammed in there and I haven't made it a priority to replace it.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Jake59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders . Reply with quote

After mounting the folding style cup holder only to break em, I did this...

Past Rides: 62 (23 window) Bus, 64 Ghai convertable, 68 single cab, 72 Super Bettle, 78 Bay window Bus, 84 GTI.
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders . Reply with quote

Jake59 wrote:
After mounting the folding style cup holder only to break em, I did this...

That's crafty Jake. Quick, cheap and effective too. I never thought of bicycle bottle cages. They can quickly be bent to fit about any size bottle too.

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrosteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders . Reply with quote

I bought the fold down type of holder similar to the ones found in Weekenders. Never found a suitable spot for the driver. So I'm using a roll of duct tape on the floor. It stays in place in all but the most violent maneuvers and fits "normal" sized cups, cans, bottles. AND it does double duty as a roll of duct tape! High top sneakers also make useful cup holders, but they're not as sticky as the duct tape.
Leipo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders . Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:

The whole dash is kind of a mess and I have no idea what the cut-out in the heater cover was for.

perhaps it was originally from a syncro model? the cutout is where the difflock(s) panel would be:

not my picture but it does show cupholders Cool
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Where to put cup holders? Reply with quote

I love my Honda Odyssey fold down center console. I dont know how i ever lived without it Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: