Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone know what code C38 stands for? It's listed under the m-code options on the BC of my 71 bus.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Anyone have any info on M-code 793?
'68 model Doka.

Still wrestling the 793 m-code. The only mentioning of it is found in this thread, page 9. Anyone have anything on it?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:
Anyone have any info on M-code 793?
'68 model Doka.

Still wrestling the 793 m-code. The only mentioning of it is found in this thread, page 9. Anyone have anything on it?

You can try decoding your M-plate or using the decoder's code search function. In both cases, M793 is decoded as:

Quote:
M 793: Production number indicating a special note in the German licence papers, saying that a Trumatic SB 2000 gas heater has been fitted

Decode your M-Plate
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

Wow, I've never seen that sight before. Fantastic! Now I need to dig out my codes and fill in the blanks. Thought I'd have to buy the book, which would be nice to have, but KUDOS to whoever put that site up!

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
'02 Jaguar XK8 convertible
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

An alternative theory on the uncoded production serial number:

While the 4 digit number (typically 7xxx for typ 2s) -- introduced across VW on Aug 1 '69 is often referred to as undecipherable / number for scheduling purposes / production serial number, I think there is plant information encoded in this number in the first digit.

So in my theory 7 = Hannover, and 8 = Emden (and 9 = Osnabruck as all the Karmann cars are 9xxx, Wolfsburg is 0 or 1 - not confirmed yet, and so on).

The remaining 3 digits I believe are serial numbers within the production lot (not related to production within a week - in which case you would expect higher correlation between early week days and lower serial numbers which I don't see).

Emden tests the theory though as between 70 and 72, there are 7xxx numbers that have an E. After that if I'm not mistaken, E chassis had 8xxx.

A possible explanation is that in the first few years Emden was an overflow factory and lot planning was done out of Hannover. When the lots were larger in size than Hannover could handle, the remaining were scheduled for Emden. During 70-72, the E chassis with 7xxx numbers actually had 78xx or 79xx numbers. This could support the notion that when lot size got over ~800, overflow was sent to Emden. By around 73, the volume was probably large enough that lot scheduling was done separately at Emden and it got its own 8xxx code.

While this theory does not really add much into to the typ 2 which was already blessed with the m-code plate, 70-on typ 1s could benefit by being able to decode the factory from which it was produced from the one line production plate which was added starting Aug69.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
fvelaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

Greetings all, managed to decode all options except for V39. Any clues?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tburton100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

Looks like this thread may be deceased, but worth a try. I've got the book and tried the decoders, but not finding code A71. See below on the certificate:

Nothing too special on the options and I'm assuming A71 is a group related to the UK (like A51). M-Plate is gone.

This is a 1978 Kombi, converted to a camper with early pop top sometime in it's life by Devon Conversions.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
calebmelvin wrote:
The plate under the dash reads:
82 034 999
J4R152 D50 227 246 732
40 3 7364 UN 2218 61

****** 1st line ******
(22) = Microbus
8: model year 1978
2: this is an extra number that was used to distinguish 1970ties and 1960ties chassis numbers. The '2' would turn
into a '3' as soon as 1 million vehicles of this model been produced. This never happened with the Transporter production.
034999: the serial number.

****** 2nd line ******
733 = not listed in book

****** 3rd line ******
J4R152 = paint- and interior code
J4 = L57H Reef Blue
R1 = L90D Pastel White
52 = Leatherette, alabaster (Grey)

D50 = Mcode: group code consisting of:
012 - exhaust emmission control installation and speedometer in miles instead of km
067 - 12V 54A battery instead of standard 12V 45A battery
102 - rear window heating
508 - one sliding window in sliding door and one in the opposite side panel of the pass compt.

227 = Mcode: Detachable headrests in cab
246 = Mcode: windscreen free from import duty for USA
732 = Mcode: - not listed in the book

****** 4th line ******
40 3 = this code is a date. This date is most likely a few days later than the actual production date.
Week 40, day 3 (=Wednesday), of production year 1977 means 5 Oct 1977
7364 = ?production planning number
UN = Vancouver, Wn, import destination = USA, New York
221 = Microbus, 7/8/9 Seater, LHD, Sliding door right
8 = 7 seater, seat arrangement 2-2-3
61 = 7 Seat microbus, Manual transmission, 70 hp
6=type 4 engine, 2.0 L, 1= 4 spd manual
Also lists mcode 157/251, 147 extras.
157 = fuel injection ('75-'79)
251 = type 4 engine
147 - seven seater model instead of 8 seater model

Any ideas what this means or what the mcodes are for these?

The 700 series codes are actually called "Special Body" codes (S-codes), for special built-ins or special labour that had to be done on the busses during production.

All information taken from "VW Transporter and Microbus Specification Guide 1967-1979" by Vincent Molenaar and Alexander Prinz, The Crowood Press Ltd, 2005.

Anyone found out what specifically 732 and 733 are for yet? My friends bus is a 1978 deluxe 7 seater with a eberspacher BA6 with 732 and 733 and I'm curious what they were for specifically.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wartown81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

Anybody have an idea why my mcode plate shows delivery to UA, Los Angeles but mcode decoder shows destination as Germany?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

Maybe some sort of reverse tourist delivery deal?, ship to US for a tour and then ship cak to home?

Does it have side markers, sealed beam headlights and one bulb tail lights?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wartown81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Maybe some sort of reverse tourist delivery deal?, ship to US for a tour and then ship cak to home?

Does it have side markers, sealed beam headlights and one bulb tail lights?

It does have side markers, one bulb tail lights and yes I believe sealed beam headlamps.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

Then it's most likely an error on the decoders part, German buses had none of those things.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wartown81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Then it's most likely an error on the decoders part, German buses had none of those things.

Makes sense.
Entong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Codes Type 2 (T2) 1968-79 FAQ Reply with quote

Wartown81 wrote:
Anybody have an idea why my mcode plate shows delivery to UA, Los Angeles but mcode decoder shows destination as Germany?
Hi,
Wrong data input gives wrong results. I corrected your Mplate and here is the result Wink

David.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42
Jump to:
Page 42 of 42

Jump to: