Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got a manx for my 16th b-day!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobinater33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Got a manx for my 16th b-day! Reply with quote

so i got this manx (not a real one) for my birthday a few days ago that my parents bought for 1800. Im starting to take a real interest in vw's so i found this place to learn.

its an imitation meyers manx body on a semi-rusty 1958 pan. so far all i have done is put in a few hours scraping this tar shit they sprayed on the front suspension. ITS ALL OVER THE PLACE! has anyone ever bought a vw that had this grime all over it? my guess is they did it to stop rust.

this car runs decent, a bit hesatent(sp?) off the start but it could just be me new to a clutch. its an all stock 1500cc, single port with a stock solex carb. (pretty rusty) that im gonna pull out this weekend.

so i pull off the shocks and i could compress them with my hands and when i let go they stayed compressed Rolling Eyes .

Im lookin to make this thing a semi-off road machine to take to Glamis and to do a little bit of desert running here in AZ.

im on a tight budget but i have 300 bucks to invest and i figured i would start on the motor first. putting the 1641 from chirco and seeing if the rents will pitch in for the weber progressive kit and maybe some new dual port heads.

I got a tig machine and know how to use it better than my father now and he has been welding since he was my age so im looking to fabricate stuff like front shock towers,role cage, bumber, rear engine cage, etc. etc.

ill have pictures later today. Can any of you guys give me some good advice on what i could/do with this thing. i know theres so much but im talking stuff cheap and reliable to make it a nice little toy to tear around in the des.

thanks and later

Last edited by bobinater33 on Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Josiah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you got a link pin front end, id probably go with a warrior beam or something with like 8" shock towers, is it a full length pan or shortened? you could put a 3" body lift on it for more tire clearance, youve got a swing axle trans ummm not much you can do with that except notch out the spring plates and turn it a couple splines but the camber gets a lil wild with swing axle. probably some bilstein shocks all around. if its a full length body you might be able to use a chenowth class11 roll cage which will probably need some modifying but would be a really good starter point for your cage. you do need to get rid of that 1500sp though and go with at least a 1600dp itd be better if you went up to a 1835. (buy 92mm pistons, and get the heads and case bored by a machine shop) and probably some suspension seats. theres alot more but your just starting and just want somethin for some desert running and to take to glamis. ohh and with that tar shit, yeah ive had it on a coule of my bajas it sucks. someone will post alot more shit than ive said but i dunno how much money youve got
vwclass11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from experience, if you were my son and had a dune buggy. I would invest in a roll cage, good off-road seats, and seat harnesses. I remember being 16 in my Baja, I did some stupid things. Live and learn, best advice is to listen to what people with some experience have to say. And get yourself the Baja Bugs and Buggies book, a lot of good information. I live in Mesa, so if you need some help, let me know. Have fun and be careful, Later, Mitch.

Vanhag wrote:
On a scale from 1-10 I see a class 11.

hotratz wrote:
I hold a level 2 certification in Tribology

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/194538.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65BAJA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the progressive. Go for the dual Kadrons with vacuume advance distributor.

I'll finish it!... Some day....
Edit, I started in 2003 and still haven't built a driving Baja. lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josiah wrote:
youve got a swing axle trans ummm not much you can do with that except notch out the spring plates and turn it a couple splines

i wouldnt do that with a swing axle. its not too much further past the stock stops that you start chewing up fulcrum plates

Josiah wrote:
if its a full length body you might be able to use a chenowth class11 roll cage which will probably need some modifying but would be a really good starter point for your cage.

probably a good starting point, but not much more. the cars are two different machines when you look at the bodies.

Josiah wrote:
itd be better if you went up to a 1835. (buy 92mm pistons, and get the heads and case bored by a machine shop)

as hot as it gets in phoenix (or pretty close to phoenix) in the summer, i'd be hesitant to run an 1835 due to the thinner cylinder walls without extra cooling. the manx is lighter, so its not as much of a problem, but better would be either a 1915 or 1776.

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobinater33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if im gonna put a 1641 will i need to bore the case. i dont think so but im just checking.

yeah the bilstiens sound good there alot cheaper than fox's. a question of mine, seeings how i have torsion bars for spring then it wouldnt be necessary to get coil over shocks am i correct.

when mounting a self made role cage, would i put those rotary shaped flanges on the ends and bold those to the pan to anker it or would it be welded to the pan.

it is a shortened pan so the wheel base is pretty short so for balance, later down the road i would like to widen the front ant rear suspension. does my transmission stop me from putting differant longer and wider rear arms? whats the correct term for the rear arms if the axle goes into the arm through a barring carrier. thanks guys.

and yes im sure ill be leaping it a few feet here and there. ive already cleared a 3-4 foot wide irrigation canal with 4 people in it. the center of balance seems perfect because i landed just perfect the rear wheels landed first but not too much of an angle. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Josiah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks brad i was waiting for that Rolling Eyes haha
Josiah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you will not need coilovers. with the cage you can do whatever you want basically but personally i would put the plates on the bottom and bolt them in. to widen the front and rear suspension, in the front get like a 6" wider warrior beam with 8-10" towers and you can buy wider/longer arms for the beam also. the rear you got a swing axle not much you can do. but you can buy irs brackets and install those in rear and than get an irs trans than you can get 3x3 rear trailing arms (3" longer and 3" wider than stock so your rear would be 6" wider also)
bobinater33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much would an irs transaxle run me. link me!

im sure more than 400 bones!

im getting a job in december as soon as i get my license and im sure all my money i make will be going into my bug... oh and half of the check in gas to get me back and forth from school. i think i picked the worst time to be introduced into the world of driving.
Josiah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually you can get a 002 bus tranny for like 200-300 bucks here on the samba. just look around the classifieds all the time and youll find good deals. theres one right now up for like 250 bucks but its out here in so cal
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the madness, Bobinater.

don't worry, the ciggaret is fake.
bobinater33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darn, and i was just in southern cali a week ago and i had 200 bucks on hand.

tons of good stuff were i normally go its in the east county area. i stay and my grandma's house smack dab in the middle of lakeside.

if any of you guys are familiar with the area i stay right next to mad max ENGINES and hes good friends with the owner of johnsons bug machine. im gonna try callin him up to see if i cant find some stuff.

doesnt anyone know of a good warrior front beam vendor, i found some on the chirco site and there located in tucson. any ideas?
bobinater33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chirco.com/cgi-bin/chirco.storefront/43.../CPR198198

so heres a cast 1641 kit. $129.99 and the forged one was 249.99 or something like that. how much better is the forged pistons than the cast ones. ill probably be building an all new high performance motor later on so this should do, right?

im gonna be taking out the motor possibly tonight. so all there is to it basically is putting a car jack under the oil plug portion of the motor. tagging the ignition wires and what not, removing the oil pressure line and fuel line (making sure to cap off the fuel line) and just undo the 4 bolts holding it to the transaxle ( removing the two bottome bolts first) and viola?

now another one, can a vw engine be lifted onto a bench with only 2 people?
vwclass11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwclass11 wrote:
Get yourself the Baja Bugs and Buggies book, a lot of good information. I live in Mesa, so if you need some help, let me know. Have fun and be careful, Later, Mitch.

Slow down Grasshopper. Why dont you drive it for a bit, before you go changing a bunch of stuff. I am going to the Chirco show this weekend, so hold off, they are having a sale this saturday/sunday. Why dont you go to Tucson check out some other buggies and get some ideas. Be patient. By the way dont listen to those Cali guys, they dont know how to set up a car for the Zonie desert. Laughing Later, Mitch.

Vanhag wrote:

hotratz wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobinater33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its too slow. top speed is 50 i might pull 60 if im running with a heavy wind Laughing

how many hours away is tucson from goodyear, i might hit my dad up about that because im sure he would like to go.

by the way, seeings how your in mesa.. would you by chance know ian lighjablad that works at random precisions fabrications.

i met up with him down at glamis one time and he does some awsome vw work.
bobinater33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont you have to re-gear the bus transmissions?

i had a friend who built a sand rail with a bus transmission and it was geared all funky. it would wind up real high in first and second and the transition from 2nd to 3rd was way to long and it would just bog down.

not to mention he was running a 2180 he had close to 5k in.
vwclass11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobinater33 wrote:
its too slow. top speed is 50 i might pull 60 if im running with a heavy wind Laughing

how many hours away is tucson from goodyear, i might hit my dad up about that because im sure he would like to go.

by the way, seeings how your in mesa.. would you by chance know ian lighjablad that works at random precisions fabrications.

i met up with him down at glamis one time and he does some awsome vw work.

Never heard of him, I know a lot of people, just not good with names. Tucson is about 100 miles from Phx/Tempe. We are planning a caravan saturday evening. But seriously if you need help let me know. Later, Mitch.

Vanhag wrote:

hotratz wrote:

Josiah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont have to re gear your trannys thats just a choice. hahaha lakeside? you were about an hour away from that 002 that sucks.
bobinater33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey class11, whats your aim screen name?
vwclass11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobinater33 wrote:
hey class11, whats your aim screen name?

Pretty obvious, but you have a pm

Vanhag wrote:

hotratz wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: