Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what clutch with 1776 engine?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: what clutch with 1776 engine? Reply with quote

I plan to put 1776 engine to my 1979 super beetel. What clutch should I use? I do not plan to reace but occassionaly "green light acctions" might happen. should I change only disk form performance one or rather whole kit for instance kennedy 1700lb?
Thanks for answers

Paweł vel YOGI
Black & Beige VW 1303 Convertible 1979 r.
Poland
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you really need is a good clutch disk. The copperhead disks are nice, and will make things much easier on your leg. If you had a 1914 or bigger, I might be inclined to suggest more pressure plate.

If you do go with a 1700 Kennedy, get a good standard disk to go with it.
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mharney wrote:
What you really need is a good clutch disk. The copperhead disks are nice, and will make things much easier on your leg.

OK is this one OK:
- HEAVY-DUTY METAL WOVEN CLUTCH DISC 200MM - (NO FEAR RACE QUALITY) - 1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES $22 on cip1.com

or someone can recomend something better with stock pressure palte

Paweł vel YOGI
Black & Beige VW 1303 Convertible 1979 r.
Poland
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agrre that the Copperhead with a KEP Stage 1 is plenty.

I have a Copperhead with a KEP Stage 2 on my 1904 and it's plenty of grip for me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FASTERFRED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disc needs to be the one with no springs to ease the clutch engagement .... It's the kind with alot of rivets verses only 3 on a stock spring unit.....Would also suggest, even with a stock pressure plate and always with a performance type, that you replace the clutch shaft bearings with new stock plastic ones or to really "get it done", with metal bushings....Makes the clutch action smooth/tight/positive.....Might want to fully weld up the shaft to arms fully or replace with a aftermarket one that is already welded up.....In any case, put in a new German throw out bearing, new engine front crank seal, and the transmission input shaft seal......These three items might save you from going in there again for a fix....Pays to do it right the first time... Razz ...The Lizard...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: