Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ok slightly aggrivated, maybe more than slight.
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rooket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: ok slightly aggrivated, maybe more than slight. Reply with quote

Ok so I've seen time and time again members recommending sending all keying jobs to Gabvwkey. I've done business with him in the past fine I was able to buy plenty steel keys from him (there's better keys out now that don't put as much wear on your locks but maybe he sells those now too)

Anyhow I did my own door locks, but I don't begin to have a clue how to open the ignition lock. When he does it, it's all professionally looking done: nothing is chewed up or marred in the process and looks like it had never been opened.

So I sent my ignition switch in a year after he told me he'd rekey and put in a near show quality tumbler in the lock. I was thinking one day that I might as well do that, as there isn't much left to restore. I got the switch back and noticed the "new" tumbler was still beat up but less beat up than the one I sent in. I emailed him and though I got no reply, I paid him the same day I emailed him as I recall.

A couple weeks go by and my car stalls out on me. It wasn't that big of a deal, I had the other lock. Oh well tough luck I guess. So I put it in and let it go and all my electrical problems: fixed.

So now I sent it back to get it serviced so the alternator would charge fine, no red light on the speedo etc.. and he sends it back clean, "new" different tumbler and he wants me to pay for another tumbler when I already explained that I wasn't happy with the one that he put in in the first place. Also the switch does work better, but I still get the same intermittent red light on the speedometer flashing on and off with this ignition switch and I _believe_ if I put the aftermarket switch back in, it'll go away. Which I will have to do.

What is the best thing to do? Pay him for two tumblers? And the problem came back after having it serviced. He's telling me that if I don't pay him I'll have bad luck from now on just cuz I don't pay. I don't get this stuff, why do I gotta get kicked in the ass my whole life by people Shocked

So tomorrow I'm taking my decklid to the body shop to get it repainted because its new paint job is peeling and it isn't a 'warranty job', it's a different body shop (other shop closed down). Also I had some chrome done out of state that is being refused to be shipped back to me, and I'm out another $150 on that. So... is this like, bad stuff that happens to me before this deal.. is because this deal went bad? what's with this kind of karma. It's like all backwards.

I'm confused why one he says I should pay him to fix his faulty -looking- tumbler, and also why I should pay to have something serviced that still isn't functioning properly? Am I missing a cog, or am I an idiot if I pay? what gives.

Also he told me if I don't pay I should send the tumbler back, someone explain to me how to take it out?
YellowSplittie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tumbler portion of the switch shouldn't have anything to do with the electrical section. Sounds like your switch has gone bad, not the lock portion.
rooket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well I sent it to get the switch fixed and it still has the problem and he wants to be paid regardless. and also he wants to be paid x 2 for the tumbler, which should've been in very good condition when I first got it back. so now he's telling me that I'm the crook, when he got paid _well_ for his work the first time and he has back the $20 tumbler that is in the same condition as it was when he shipped it to me. It didn't look like something that was worth 20 bucks but he got paid for it anyway.

now since I can't even drive the car (about to pull the rear plate off it) I can't work with this nonsense any more right now anyway. I think that switch is going to end up going on the shelf in the garage. I don't know how to take it apart and replace the contacts myself, but if I could get in there maybe I could get the contacts nickel plated or something.
gabvwkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: I want to end the "locksmith curse" LOL! Reply with quote

Dennis, you have a way with words I'll give you that!
But, still you have it all wrong!
I'm not even going to bother and try to explain what;s going on here, in fact, just to prove a point I will let you be the victim if that is what you want, and will lift the "Curse" you said I put on you and your VW! Laughing
I'm willing to help you out, I have a box with good ignition switches, I dont have perfect chrome cylinders, but definitely have good, tested ignition switches, all of the Samba readers are witness' of what I'm offering here, if you send the ignition back I will get the cylinder out and installed in a good tested ignition switch for free! just pay the $3.85 to ship the switch back to you.
gabvwkey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rooket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Gabriel well I sent you a private message basically going over that the switch still has a fault. I want you to know that I don't have any hard feelings against you, I was probably stressed at work at this time for one reason or another. Usually things don't go this way between me and others during those times.

Anyway there was another issue with the radio in the car going out but it was separate from the ignition switch because I rewired that back to the starter and the switch still cuts out the engine while driving the car. I haven't been driving the bug much because I have a ford that I commute to and from work with. VW's are too fragile if hit, new cars are like bumper cars (well ya i don't test my luck tho).

Thanks
john walker's workshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the intermittent red light is the charging system being intermittent. not related to the switch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gabvwkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reputation is worth more than a beetle ignition switch, I have succesfully completed I'll say without exagerating, thousands of transactions in more than (20) years of VW's, against a very few "dissatisfied customers" Like I stated before, I'm a man of my word, and I will take care of your switch if you send it back and include shipping back to you.
Gabriel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rooket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john walker's workshop wrote:
sounds like the intermittent red light is the charging system being intermittent. not related to the switch.

Then why is it that when I replaced the ignition switch a third time with the same vw/audi german reproduction switch this problem went away? With the old switch, the car will stall. I've been driving the car for over a month now without a problem since I replaced the switch.
rooket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabvwkey wrote:
My reputation is worth more than a beetle ignition switch, I have succesfully completed I'll say without exagerating, thousands of transactions in more than (20) years of VW's, against a very few "dissatisfied customers" Like I stated before, I'm a man of my word, and I will take care of your switch if you send it back and include shipping back to you.
Gabriel.

In the other thread, I thought you changed your mind. Please advise. Thanks.

btw - the problem obviously is in the internals which I don't see have been serviced. Also the re-keying is a little bit off, I took the tumbler out and put the cut-to-code key in and some of them stick up a little bit. When I did my door handles, I made sure all of them were flush or below flush because that causes wear and tear on the cylinder.
gabvwkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before!
Send the switch with one of the keys, and I'll swap for a good one, don't forget to include postage back to you.
I use USPS Priority mail with delivery confirmation $4.30
Gabriel Garcia
603 Meadow Creek Dr
Allen, TX 75002
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: