Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball Joint servicing
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rippers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Ball Joint servicing Reply with quote

The front beam ball joints have a cap on the top for what looks like installing a grease nipple, should I be servicing this with new grease?

I'v tried searching and looking in the books but I can't find a definitive answer, also am I right in thinking they would need CV Lith-Moly grease for these? would it be a case of pumping it in till expels clear like the beam?

Lastly is there a way of testing whether the ball joints are in good condition?

It seems like all the replacement ball joints I've seen don't have the caps now either?

Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing none of the books you own are by Bentley publishers?

The unmentionable green book describes removing the plugs to grease as well as how to test thier condition.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you put grease in. You put a little squirt in and don't put so much in you pop the boots.

you are correct, the new ones do not have grease caps which is too bad. In the 1970's we used things over and over. Today we use them once and toss them.

Please get a Bentley manual and it will explain as BusDaddy suggested. It will also include how to know if yours are good or bad. One clue I learned in my 1971 is that they can be within spec but if you keep having tire wear you can't get rid of through alignment, it may mean they are bad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: