Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sound deadening
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic stuff is a mosture barrier, it helps keep the inside dry, lots of times it is removed, which is not a good thing.
If you have wavy door panels, then the plasic was removed some time ago.
If you put the sound deadening stuff over the door like Loveadubs did it acts as your moisture barrier and you don't need the plastic.
I've made my own, out of heavy plastic before.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was gonna remove some of it, just so I could put some of the insulation inside the actual door. Then I was going to seal it back up and put the insulation on top of it (Frost King). So I guess I'll have more like a double moisture barrier. Better safe than sorry.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the plasic over the frost king, it's a lot heavier(the frost king), you want it to stick to the door, then put your plastic over it, much better hold that way
If you cover all the openings in the door like this you don't need it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
second skin rep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodknock wrote:
I just did 2 sound projects. I used Frost King on the inside trunk area of my wife's Honda Civic. Worked pretty good but not a huge improvement. I used Damplifier on the inside of the doors (front and sliding side) and front leg/foot area of my '86 Westy, and it made a remarkable difference. Damplifier is much heavier than Frost King, and I think it works much better. I also think the front doors are the biggest culprit to the road noise problem in the Westy. I strongly recommend doing this to your van, it makes the vehicle much, much more pleasant to drive. I put the Damplifier on the inside of the door skins and covered most of this area. I did not bother with the inner braces and panels since the larger areas of the door skins are going to vibrate more. The Damplifier Trunk Pack with 20 sq ft covered everything (doors & front). Given the labor involved, I recommend Damplifier. This is the best mod I have made to the Westy to date, just an amazing difference. I'm doing the doors of the Civic next. Working with this stuff is easy and oddly satisfying. Almost addictive.

Glad you liek the Second Skin Damplifier
Did you use regular or the Damplifier Pro?

ANT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Damplifier Pro. I think there are 3 grades, I went with the middle one. Weight is a consideration though. I did not put it inside the rear hatch as it would weigh down on the original struts, making a weak situation worse. I think I would use this stuff only where it is really needed due to cost, weight, and possible issues with doing bodywork someday down the road. Ths stuff works great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
second skin rep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only 2 types of mat we sell.
Damplifier
Damplifier Pro

For lightweight options we sell 3 types of waterborne sound deadeners.
They are elastomeric polymers that do the same type of job as the constraint layer mats but weigh less.

Glad you like the results!

ANT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used the frost king duct insulation. Makes a big difference. Now the rattles from the sliding door and skylight are more noticeable. But its getting quieter, one step at a time.
Pwbman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound deadening Reply with quote

I just finished doing the all the doors and rear engine compartment with frost King. It definitely helped. Then I added a layer of Second Skin Luxury pro over the frost king in the back engine area and it dropped everything about 10 dB. Worked great keeping the sound total to 70dB while at 70 mph (~top speed). I can hear th stereo great and my blue tooth mic no works with the phone. yay!
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound deadening Reply with quote

10 dB??

how did you measure that?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sound deadening Reply with quote

You guys applying this insulation inside the front for noise...I haven't seen any mention of sealing the big hole underneath the front of the Vanagon on each side.
It is on the bottom of support frame going out to the forward corner. You'll see about 3 holes I think on each arm. The big hole is a known source of noise.
Some SST tape, aluminum tape of duct tape over it as a test to hear any difference in the sound is worth the effort.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: