Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another "Thinking of Selling My Splitty" Thread
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Another "Thinking of Selling My Splitty" Thread Reply with quote

Hey Split folks! Yeah, it's true. Thinking of putting the Splitty up for sell. I've had her since 03/03/03. Was never intended to be my daily driver but has been for about a year now. The second worst winter in our recorded history and there I was putting in 72 miles a day in the Splitty! Up late at night putting the motor back in or bleeding brakes to make it to work in the morning...not fun. BUT cruising to the beach with my kids and our boards...very fun. We've a baby being born Dec. 6th. I may have to force myself to be practical. Sell the Splitty and get a car more suited to commuting. What I should get is a job closer to home! Cool I'll keep you folks informed. Thanks for reading.
oldworldair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummer man! Keep the california dream alive, The germans did it in wuth there crazy winters for decades, Don't think of the busted knuckles think of all the smiles you'll be missing out on. BTW looks like a cool bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have winter in so-cal when did that happen.

But your self a shitty beater rabbit as a comuter car , save the split for the weekend, kids need a split. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bongo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to talk winters? Don't sell it, that's a crap reason. Just invest in better breakdown coverage for when the baby comes, or get yourself a new motor.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:

But your self a shitty beater rabbit as a comuter car , save the split for the weekend, kids need a split. Very Happy

I have to agree here. Buy a cheap, but reliable car for commuting.
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another "Thinking of Selling My Splitty" Threa Reply with quote

Blessed Bus wrote:
We've a baby being born Dec. 6th. I may have to force myself to be practical. Sell the Splitty and get a car more suited to commuting.

Don't fool yourself!!! If you already got a 2nd car the newborn will probably ride in more if that is the car you all get around more already. Don't make the mistake to find out your newborn hadn't ridden in your resonable car since day one and regret selling the bus. Hell you live in Cali how cold can it be? Fix the heaters and get the kid a blanket. Wink Trust me I did the same thing, but I gave a set if OG Sprints away with my bus and have been kicking myself in the a$$ for the past 4yrs now. Wink

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't Sell.
Plain and simple.
You can get a cheap commuter car, think late seventies toyota or honda.
You could probably pick one up for $500-600.

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levonbenelli wrote:
wait till 06-06-06 and then decide. you already missed 05-05-05

Laughing So Classic! Laughing

Before I ran my last bus into the ground (literally! Shocked ), I did considered selling it, TWICE! Surprised It was my daughter (sweet little kid then Rolling Eyes ) that kept begging for me not to sell it. No cheezy excuse either, almost sold it when I left the states and moved back to Puerto Rico, but ended up taking it with me. Very Happy Then again when I moved from Puerto Rico to Floriduh, another almost but shipped it there too. Very Happy Eventually that bus did a whole forkin tour and ended up back in San Diego where I got it in '87! Razz

Life sometimes throw some crap in your way and you have to make decisions. Tough choice but still your choice non the less. However, if you opt for selling it, rest assured you will be having some funky feelings aftewrwards for a while. Good luck either way and of course with the "new arrival"! Cool
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also say don't sell it.

I've got my third kid on the way this Dec. Earlier this year I bought my third bus. Gotta keep your priorities straight...

I have a 10 year old Passat wagon that's a great daily driver. I put snow tires on in the winter and it gets around great, and here in Boston we know what winter is all about.

If you get a daily driver you can relegate the bus to weekend/show/fun duty. You can also run it as antique and save a lot on insurance. However, in order to do this you have to have another car as a regular driver. You also may be required to garage the bus to run the antique insurance. There was another recent thread regarding this.
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:

Really when did this happen? Smile are you still in the L.A. area? I dont even think winter has started yet matter of fact we are having a "Santa Ana" right now. I feel you though especilly if you only have one vehicle to do all the commuting. I would just buy another commuter car.
I was selling our 89 Camaro for 1K or best offer (I would have been happy with 500 bucks) nothing wrong with it maybe a new paint job and that's it.
I gave up after a week and just gave it to my brother. If I would have known your situation I would have let it go for the 500.00 bucks and your only about an hour or so away (if your still in Ventura). Anyway I know this doesnt help you now but look around Im sure you will find something. KEEP THE BUS.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids are 6 and 11. They have spent most of there life in an old car (Mostly VW). And its gets hot here. Besides alot of us were raised in the same cars we drive in today. Until just last year my Wifes driver was a slammed 66 Buick Wagon. She hurt her back and could not drive it anymore. Having AC is nice but you live in SoCal. It can be 105 here in the summer? When was it ever that hot in Ventura?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another thing! Surprised

My wife had bought me a re-done '55 Ford F-100 pick'em up truck for my 40th birthday. Though she didn't say it in so many words I just knew she thought I'd get rid of the bus then. Even while my bus was literally falling apart, I eventually sold the truck... and then bought my present bus with the $$! Razz

It did hurt some when I sold it but if not for that I would not have this bus now! Think
grateful65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to echo everyone else here, don't sell. You can always scratch up enough money to buy a cheap commuter beater. But once you sell, it will be hard to replace what you had.
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I know I would regret it big time. The issue isn't the weather. Just the worry (& constant wrenching) of commuting a 38 year old ride over 1000 miles a month. I could sell the bus, buy a cheap commuter and put some $ in the bank... A JOB IN TOWN! That would fix my problem!
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would`nt take long for you to want one again. And at the way prices are going forget it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just need to buy a bug as your commuter car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truckersmike said it best in another thread

Quote:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!. Bad bus owner!.

An Anti Nike slogan may be appropriate here:
"Just don't do it"
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blessed Bus wrote:
Thanks guys! I know I would regret it big time. The issue isn't the weather. Just the worry (& constant wrenching) of commuting a 38 year old ride over 1000 miles a month. I could sell the bus, buy a cheap commuter and put some $ in the bank... A JOB IN TOWN! That would fix my problem!

and do you think a cheap commuter car won't have it's problems. At least you can fix your bus, but try to find and fix the problem on todays computer controlled cars! (and see what parts cost on those) At least when I bought my wife her new car it has a warrenty and it HAS been used and the car will be sold or traded off when that ends..

and I do go through the "I think I'll sell off my buses" mood once in a while, but still haven't sold any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
save the split for the weekend, kids need a split. Very Happy

How true!! My 8 y.o. son is as much in love with our split as I am. Wink

Shifty's Spraywerkz / Parrot's Hot Rods and Kustoms, Oklahoma City, OK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do want to keep it. You guys are right.

My wife read this thread and cried. Thanks guys! Wink Just kidding. At the risk of sounding like a pussy, it really would tear me up to sell it. The kids too. Thanks Split Folks.

God bless,
Michael
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: