Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Three-point seatbelt conversions?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
bamacamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Three-point seatbelt conversions? Reply with quote

I witnessed a pretty bad accident today - a lady in a Hyundai t-boned a Yukon in front of me (the one day I don't carry my camera) - she'll live, but she went to the hospital with a nasty gash on her forehead (she looked like Stephen King's Carrie with blood all aver her). But it made me think...there is nothing to stop my upper body from slamming into the windscreen/dash in the event (God-of-your-choice forbid) of an accident. I see all kinds of aftermarket 3 point seatbelts in VW catalogs, and it looks like it would be easy to drill holes in a bus and put some in. Has anyone done this? Got any pics?
pizzaguywithasinglecab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched the forums for the same topic a while back so I don't remember the exact conversation, nor do I remember which forum I was on. At any rate, you have to reinforce the B pillar to make it work.

The best solution that I saw was to drill a large hole down low on the B pillar and then take a piece of 1/4 inch steel with a nut welded to it (captive nut) and work it up through the hole by drilling a hole up where you want the belts to attach above the shoulder and fishing it through with a wire.

Once in place you give it a quick tack weld and your done.

The only other alternative is to cut a hole in the B pillar and then insert the reinforcement metal.

I think that there were some good pics on the aussieveedubbers site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Capt'n Crusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous thread on this topic (which I was in on) is here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61966&highlight=

I just finished an install two days ago for my trip to BB. What I did is weld a nut plate to the B-Pillar. The plate comes from a shop that I deal with for my race car and it's harnes system. The plates are $5 each. You have to drill/cut a hole for the nut to sit down into and then weld the plate up. I suck at welding and grinding, but I had to go ahead and do this thing no matter how it looks...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about how to install three-point in my bus, too. Thats a great idea!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt'n Crusty wrote:
I suck at welding and grinding, but I had to go ahead and do this thing no matter how it looks...

If you can't see that from an airplne... it's okay! Wink

Thanks for the pix. I too want to install 3 point belts! Cool
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Splitbusaustralia for the seat belt install info.

Moderator note:
The above website seems to have gone dead.
This Internet Archive link may work:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010418160547/http://splitbusaustralia.com/23_seat_belt_mounts.htm

Page content from above:
Quote:

Fitting Seat Belt Mounts

These seat belt mounts meet Australian Design Regulations (and these regs are tough in terms of loads that have to be met). Both these mounts are backed by 1/4" thick steel plate with a minimum surface area of 50 square cm, with a high tensile nut welded behind. But all you see bus-wise is a hole with the nut visible.

The front pillar mounts (above left) are backed by a plate measuring 3cm (wide) by 17 cm (long). Drill a hole through the center of the plate and weld a high tensile nut to the back of it. Carefully open an inverted U flap at the top of the pillar measuring 3 cm (wide) by 5 cm (long). Drill three holes in the pillar, one for bolt access (which you can see above) and one below and one above this to puddle weld the plate in place. Weld a bit of coat hangar wire to the plate. Lower it into the pillar. Insert the seat belt bolt and tighten to hold the plate in position. Break off wire. Puddle weld in holes above and below bolt. Close flap and weld - tidy up.

The front floor mounts (above middle) are backed by a plate measuring 5 cm (wide) by 10cm (long). Drill through middle and attach hi tensile nut. Again drill three holes in the floor, one for bolt access and two to puddle weld plate in place. Offer plate up, hold in location with bolt and puddle weld in place. Tidy up and voila! The view of one mount from underneath the floor (near the dog leg) is also shown (above right).

A similar process is used for rear lap sash seat belts. The photos below show a rear pillar mount and rear floor mounts (primered holes).

Pillar Seat Belt Mount Measurements

I've had quite a few requests for measurements on the seat belt mounting mounted in the door pillar. So here they are - location of the hole and the flap you have to open in order to insert the 30 x 70 mm quarter inch backing plate. All measurements are in mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the B-Pillar would collapse inward and forward under heavy impact load, but hey, they engineer crumple zones into modern cars. Splitties are still cheaper than reconstructive surgery (though maybe not for long). DO NOT put a four-point belt system anchored to the floor behind the seat/partition. Being anchored below the height of your shoulders, it would cause a serious compression injury to your spine in the event of accident.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
batjak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i asked this in another post too, but what about child seats in a bus. my double cab has lap belts up front and nothing in the back seat. and no, bungee cords and rope is not the answer i'm looking for. the wife already didn't buy it.

"Good enough is good enough if
your standards are high enough."
-Steve Frykholm
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the factory technical bulletin on how to install 3-point belts into a splittie. there was a factory kit available for service instalation. I will dig out the scans and post them.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '64 Deluxe has dealer installed three point seat belt mounting holes.
What they did was to drill right through the B pillar inside to outside, and put a bolt and washer on the outside of the bus and paint it to color match.
The holes are still there, just covered with tape in case I install new belts there. I'm running lap belts now, but have seriously considered the three point belts.

Cap'n, what brand are those three points? Where'd you get them? How much did they cost?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some belts that i think are dealer installed but i am not sure.
they are a lighter colored belt made in ny and they have a release that kind of slides open and attaches to an eye bolt. they screw into the factory locations inside the front doors and underneeth the front seat.
does anyone know what these are?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plate to weld in is easy to make too! I used 1/8" plate, drilled a through hole for the bolt, welded the appropriate size nut to the back, measured and drilled a clearance hole for the nut and welded the plate to the pilar. Nothing says loving like 3 point belts for my son! Wink

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batjak,

I put 3 sets of lap belts in the back of my 61 DC for my kids. I anchored them thru the rear cross frame member just above the opening behind the back seat. Drilled thru the member and backed it up with some HUGE and thick fender washers. I also consitered drilling out a 1/4" steel bar to match the holes as a backplate but have not done that. they are both still in child seats.
batjak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the seats are secured with the lap belt, cool. thanks for the tip. i am a too be parent so i have a little time to figure it out, but not much. after reading this and other articles i think i'm going to try and track down some of those mounting plates to weld onto that frame cross member.

everyone always complains about the lap belts in the bus, until i point out to them that they are sitting in the crumple zone, quit worrying about the seat belt.

is your back seat in there pretty secure? it seems like on mine that the brackets are too far apart and opened too much for the bars along the back and bottom of the cusions. it's always falling off and wrecking my head when i'm digging under the back seat for tools. is this a non issue or do i just need to adjust the brackets...bend them inward?

cheers | ian

"Good enough is good enough if
your standards are high enough."
-Steve Frykholm
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I have the factory technical bulletin on how to install 3-point belts into a splittie. there was a factory kit available for service instalation. I will dig out the scans and post them.

My bus has 3 point belts, and I think they are the factory option, do they look like this?

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the pages for this, but these two are the important ones.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ragman. my belts look exacally like that except they attach behind the front seat on the bulkhead (nonwalkthrough 66 westy) i see you have a walkthrough and the belts attach through the body to the outside. cool that helps me out knowing the are og to the bus. i thought they were some po install, but i guess not. cool.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not want black plastic seatbelts in my bus, like the WW kit.

I did some searching and found a place that offers three point retractable kits in several colors. They also offer the various installation pieces separately.

Sorry I could not hotlink a picture.

I have decided to pull the reinforcement plate up from a hole in the bottom of the B pillar, using a piece of wire. I believe it can be held in place behind the panel using a pop rivet instead of doing a bunch of welding and repainting. After all, it is behind the sheet metal and all you are really trying to do is prevent it from falling back down inside the panel if the seatbelt mounting bolt is ever removed. I will cover the hole in the bottom of the B pillar behind the bulkhead with a big 'ol plastic plug. It will be covered on the driver side by the jump seat and mostly concealed on the passenger side by the presence of the icebox.

These prices seem very reasonable. Even JC Whitney is much higher in price, for an inferior kit.

The only criticism I have of these kits is that they don't have an old-school chrome buckle. I also found those offered online in a zillion colors, but the plastic pieces were all black, the inner side of the seatbelt was just floppy seatbelt fabric, and they were like $130 each.

Here is the link. http://store.yahoo.net/wescoperformance/resebe.html
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to kick this thread out of the dirt, i was sitting today in my jeep wrangler while waiting to pick my son up at school, that the jeeps shoulder belts might be a nice shoulder belt option. they are small, non-obtrusive and mount up to the back roll bar.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i23....f%26sa%3DG
dreadnotmusic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I would use this thread to ask this question.

I'm about to complete a 3 point install in my '66 using the wesco performance backing plates to be installed in the B Pillar.

Instead of drilling an additional hole, why not use this factory hole? It's a bit higher than the other installations have used, but it's already there. Thoughts?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: