Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Wiring Diagram
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

I've installed a new wire harness using "wire works". I've followed the Wiring Schematic for a 1966 from August 1965 bus, but things seem a bit messed up esp. with flasher and blinkers.

Should I be using the diagram for 1967 from August 1966, esp. since I've converted the bus to a 12 Volt System?

I have a new WW 9 pin flasher, 12V and a 12V dimmer relay.

Thank you
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

66 and 67 both use the 9 pin relay but if your going 12 volt just go ahead and use the 67. it really shouldn't matter just make sure you are using a US model wiring diagram.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Widehatch

Thanks, big difference I noticed was the jumper on the 66 schematic on the dimmer relay between 56 & 30.
I'll recheck all my grounds and maybe even purchase another 9 pin flasher unit .

I suspect there are issues with the turn signal also. So I'll go back for the 10th time or more and check all those connections with the schematic.

I sure wish I didn't live in the middle of Iowa with no local assistance, someone to double check my work. Of course Covid doesn't help much either.

Thanks again
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

This link from the FAQ's at the top of this forum helped me and my retired Electrical Engineer neighbor immensely when it came time to sort out the flashers etc. in my 66 Microbus a few months ago. There is also a supplement to the wiring harness diagrams in the technical section of this site for the emergency flasher system for 66.

http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-9prong.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_emergency_lights_8_65.jpg

My 66 was converted to 12V long long ago. I found that trouble shooting the electrical issues without a hot 12V battery but rather a Radio Shack 12V 3 amp power supply worked fine for things including the headlights, but just wasn't enough to get the flashers to work. So a hot 12 volt battery is the ticket for that. I also used one of the new WW blue 9 pin flasher boxes.

I also realized that what appears in the wiring diagrams as connections to the top of the fuse box was actually the bottom of the fuse box. And the bottom was the top!

Lastly, the link above finally took me around to the turn signal switch on the steering column. I removed it from the column and then removed the covers, made a mental note of what gets greased and what should be clean instead of dirt and sand etc. and blasted it all out with a can of starting fluid. If you want to clean electrical connections, or anything for that matter, with something in a can, starting fluid is your friend. Blast it with the switch in one position, move the switch and blast it in another position. Added a dab of grease with a toothpick where it needed it and put it all back together with success.

Last edited by BonTonRoulet on Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

I used my stock 6volt 9pin from my '66, with the 12V conversion. Over 30 years running it as 12V, not one problem. Do you still have your stock 9pin flasher?

Hopefully your ground-strap that goes between the engine and transmission is in good condition. Bad grounds can have strange effects on the flasher system, I had a tough time too.

Can you get some video on Youtube, of the exact problems you're having?
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66

I still have my original 9-pin but I'm afraid corrosion got the best of it, pretty much toast.

My main ground is clean and making excellent contact. In fact I provided extra ground wiring for both taillights and front blinkers also. I will check my ground on the new 9 pin this morning. Dimmer relay has a good ground as well.

Well I've never posted a you tube video so that will present no doubt a new learning curve to conquer. But I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66'

Well here's my first video on you tube, fairly easy actually. Everything up in the cab is wired except no power to the wiper switch and of course the horn button isn't completed yet.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Jeff

https://youtu.be/qBEugKGenCk
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
Split 66'

Well here's my first video on you tube, fairly easy actually. Everything up in the cab is wired except no power to the wiper switch and of course the horn button isn't completed yet.

Thanks
Jeff

https://youtu.be/qBEugKGenCk

Great vid. Just a suggestion, use the YouTube button above to insert your videos in your posts.
Like this:

Link

Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
Split 66'

Thanks
Jeff

Link

Very nice! Clean work. That video helps a lot.

When you turn the key, and the flasher is going off automatically, are all the blinkers flashing, like it's in Hazard mode? Does your hazard switch, red knob light up at all?
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66

Thanks for asking that question, I forgot to mention that only the rear tail lights flash when I turn the key on.

The small bulb inside the Hazard Knob is toast. I'll have to order a new one (hopefully they make them in 12V)

Since I don't have power to my wiper switch would the wire from turn signal to wiper switch #31 have anything to do with this?

Thanks for the video comment also.
Take care
Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66

One other thing I forgot to mention was when I turn on the hazard switch both front and tail lights function properly.

Thanks again
Jeff
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
Split 66

Thanks for asking that question, I forgot to mention that only the rear tail lights flash when I turn the key on.

The small bulb inside the Hazard Knob is toast. I'll have to order a new one (hopefully they make them in 12V)

Since I don't have power to my wiper switch would the wire from turn signal to wiper switch #31 have anything to do with this?

Take care
Jeff

The bulb is available. The brown wire from the wiper switch is the ground that is switched by pulling up on the TS switch to cycle between hi and lo headlights. It lands on terminal S on the headlamp relay.

FYI brown and brown with a trace are grounds of some sort in a VW and other vehicles that follow DIN wiring standards, the wire colors and terminal designations also follow this convention.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/U...l_2003.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Toolbox

Thanks for the info, I think it's rather odd the blinker is grounded via the wiper switch, but trust the Germans to know what they are doing. Also thanks for the link to wires and their codes. Very informative!

Thanks again
Jeff
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
Split 66

Take care
Jeff

Does the Brake Light switch, J1, work correctly when you step on the pedal? Will it stop the auto-flashing?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66

Tried the brake light in which I have never tried & I get no brake lights with key on or off, blinking continued!

My wire harness has 4 female connectors for the master cylinder! I only installed 2 of them! I assumed the four connectors are to be used with later style master cylinder.

Master cylinder and reservoir contains no brake fluid either!

Not sure how the contacts in the cylinder work.

Thanks so much
Jeff
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

When you turn the key to start (engage starter motor), does the auto-flashing change at all?

To test the brake light, you can touch the two brake light switch wires together, or get a jumper wire between the two.

Sounds like your harness is for a '67, if it has provisions for a dual circuit master cylinder, with dual brake light switches.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66

Exactly, the wiring is for a dual circuit Master Cylinder.

I'll test the switch and brake light wires tomorrow and respond.

Thanks again, it's so nice to have folks assist in sorting out this issue.

Jeff
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

If you check the ignition switch, and the brake light switch, and they test ok, might try removing the turn signal control board from the metal housing, and look to see if there's anything that could be shorted, or touching ground somehow.

HL and HR in the pic below are the rear tail lights connection to the turn signal indicator board. If you can trace from the tail lights on the turn signal switch, backwards to the 9 pin flasher (to the upper red-square box connections), you should be able to find out where the auto-flashing voltage is coming from:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

J1 above is the Emergency flasher knob.

Looking forward to seeing you find the gremlin.

EDIT: I think this is the correct 12V bulb for your Emergency knob -
http://www.bustoration.com/Bulb-Turn-Signal--12-Volt-12Watt_p_1149.html
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Great suggestion! Thank you

Great vid. Just a suggestion, use the YouTube button above to insert your videos in your posts.
Like this:

Link
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
When you turn the key to start (engage starter motor), does the auto-flashing change at all?

No change at all

To test the brake light, you can touch the two brake light switch wires together, or get a jumper wire between the two.

I do believe the "Gremlin" has been discovered. It is hiding in the master cylinder switch. Jumped the two wires-flashing stopped! Yeah

Sounds like your harness is for a '67, if it has provisions for a dual circuit master cylinder, with dual brake light switches.

This winter I am planning on installing a dual circuit master cylinder so hopefully that will remedy the switch problem

Thanks again Split 66 for hanging in there with me. I owe you a beer or two!

Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: