Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Indicator Lights - 2021 Update
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: LED Indicator Lights - 2021 Update Reply with quote

The situation with LED dash/indicator lights has changed with the availability of non-polar LEDs. These can be used for both illumination and all of the indicator lights, regardless of polarity. (The oil, gen/alt and turn-signal indicators are all wired backwards)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224157631753?

There is a well-documented problem with using LEDs for the alternator indicator. I was able to solve this problem by adding a stock bulb in parallel to the LED. Instead of putting it under the dash, I was able to put it in the engine compartment. One lead attaches to the small lead on the alternator, which feeds the indicator light. The other lead is attached to the switched power lead on the coil. Polarity is not important.

The LED has no effect on the behavior of the charging circuit, it functions the same as if the bulb was in the speedo.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Indicator Lights - 2021 Update Reply with quote

Nice update.
You could just use a resistor in place of the bulb - it'd be less likely to break from vibration.
I assume this is needed to excite the alternator?
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Indicator Lights - 2021 Update Reply with quote

Culito wrote:

You could just use a resistor in place of the bulb - it'd be less likely to break from vibration.
I assume this is needed to excite the alternator?

Yes, a resistor of the proper value would serve too. My reading suggests one of 70 ohms and 5 watts would do the job. I didn't have one of those, but I have a handful of the bulbs I no longer need.
Yes, the conductivity thru the bulb provides excitement for the alternator.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Indicator Lights - 2021 Update Reply with quote

I would not trust this solder joint:

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: LED Indicator Lights - 2021 Update Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
I would not trust this solder joint:

Yeah, not my best work. It looks worse than it is, but I should re-flow it.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Indicator Lights - 2021 Update Reply with quote

And in case anyone is curious, these work with 6v as well. I bench tested them with 6.5v up to 12v and there was little noticeable change in brightness.

I pulled a regular bulb to do a side-by-side but somehow managed to kill the bulb while removing it. Pics to follow when I get another bulb.

One problem I noticed is that that the flashers don't seem to work with the LED installed in the dash indicator, so there may need to be a work-around for that as well (or maybe there's just something wrong in my wiring... can't tell without a good bulb.. DOH!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Indicator Lights - 2021 Update Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
And in case anyone is curious, these work with 6v as well. I bench tested them with 6.5v up to 12v and there was little noticeable change in brightness.

I pulled a regular bulb to do a side-by-side but somehow managed to kill the bulb while removing it. Pics to follow when I get another bulb.

One problem I noticed is that that the flashers don't seem to work with the LED installed in the dash indicator, so there may need to be a work-around for that as well (or maybe there's just something wrong in my wiring... can't tell without a good bulb.. DOH!)

I just saw a video on this. The old flashers think that low impedance means a bulb is out, but LEDs have hardly any impedance when they're off, so there's a different flasher you're supposed to use. Or something like that.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Indicator Lights - 2021 Update Reply with quote

I put a small resistor between the indicator wire (blue) and ground.
I'm using an electronic flasher with adjustable flash speed.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Indicator Lights - 2021 Update Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

I'm not having any problem with the turn indicator using one of the non-polar LEDs above. External bulbs are still incandescent and I didn't change the flasher.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Indicator Lights - 2021 Update Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

I'm not having any problem with the turn indicator using one of the non-polar LEDs above. External bulbs are still incandescent and I didn't change the flasher.

I've got replacement incandescents on order so I can figure out if I just screwed something up when I pulled the flasher indicator out (high probability... Laughing). If not, if may be a 6v / 12v anomaly... If / when I get this sorted, I'll drop back in with what I've found.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: LED Indicator Lights - 2021 Update Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
The situation with LED dash/indicator lights has changed with the availability of non-polar LEDs. These can be used for both illumination and all of the indicator lights, regardless of polarity. (The oil, gen/alt and turn-signal indicators are all wired backwards)

Here is a VW specific LED supplier... http://auto-hub.com/type-2/

Cost is higher but it is drop in ready...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: