Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 "red tomatoe" project" beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grinding and cleaning is a pain, but the end result is worth it. I also used masterseries. Great product and really good people to deal with.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for those pics.this spring im going to replace the drivers pan so i plan on stripping the entire chassis and paint it in masterseries..i may go with 3-4 coats of rust sealer/primer then 3-4 of black..i guess i really want to protect it from these roads..it wont see rain/snow unless im coming from a show and i get caught in a rain storm and since we get salt the wet roads will get crap on the pans so i want to protect it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another product I used. Sprayed the inside of the tunnel and also plan to use on my heater channels, inside of doors, etc. for protection.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.before i spray anything like that in my heater channels im going to have the body completely soda blasted.im thankful for non rotted heater channels and i want to keep them that way
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its alittle dusty but just got it back from paint.i gave em that master series black to use

walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i picked these 5.5 wide empi sprint stars today.eventually i need to have the chrome stripped off.im going to run 4.5 wide out front 5.5 out back and keep the other two as spares.im thinking of going 1776 turbo.im going to order my drivers floor pan from ww this july

walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picked this up here on samba.original trunk/engine compartment light.bought nos bosch fog brackets that im waiting for to come in.this spring im going to get a ww pan for the drivers side and start restoring the chassis

walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought this old school fiberglass hood that im going to run.it needs small work but its not bad.im not going to run hinges.i decided im going kind of a cal look.im going to run t bars,empi sprint star wheels,drop the front on lowered spindles,delete the back seat and run a big motor

what do you all think about the hood?

Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hood is pretty cool for a gasser race look, but I'd bond hinges in. That way you can swap to the 2-vent lid whenever you want. Check out the cal look lounge for more cal look and gasser stuff.
'86 Scirocco special project - still measuring up...
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw someone do it but im going to have something made where the original hinge brackets bolts to the body (that's where the hood pin thing will be on) and if I ever wanted to put the stock hood and hinge piece that bolts to the body I just take 6 total bolts out and swap it all back over...
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything im doing to the car is easily reversible..meaning I wont have weld any holes or do anything to put it to stock
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 "red tomatoe" project" beetle Reply with quote

well I am parting my 73 project I was building and am going to use the 5" narrowed beam on it and use all of the air ride parts that was going to go on 73 on my 68.plans for this car now I think will be stock minus motor and air ride.i want to leave the interior like ive always planned...stock.wheels will prolly end up going wide in the back.i like the look.
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 "red tomatoe" project" beetle Reply with quote

well enough is enough of watercooled vws finally back to this car.i decided im not going to paint the body just leave it the way it is but fully restore the chassis.got my 4" narrowed beam in and smart car tires.put dash together to.its getting ready to come with me from my parents house.hopefully before christmas it will be going in to get the front 1/4 panel welded on then blended in

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 "red tomatoe" project" beetle Reply with quote

Nice progress! What is the accessory shown just under the rear window?

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 "red tomatoe" project" beetle Reply with quote

its a speaker.i need to eventually find a speaker that fits it lol
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 "red tomatoe" project" beetle Reply with quote

moved from my parents house 3 years ago but just bought another house so im finally bringing her home to start working on it again.only been sitting since 07 lol

mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 "red tomatoe" project" beetle Reply with quote

Love the finish on your hot rod...congrats on getting back to work on it again...

I just noticed the sticker on the back....where can I get one?

MikeC

Last edited by mikec4193 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 "red tomatoe" project" beetle Reply with quote

thanks.im starting to build the electrical system and put all led bulbs on it while im waiting for my buddy to have room so he can weld the apron and 1/4 panel on and blend it in.relaying headlight harness and making a new headlight/turn harness,adding a bosch fog harness and replacing some terminals with original type from goodspeed motor
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 "red tomatoe" project" beetle Reply with quote

started putting dash together.yes i know i need to get left front 1/4 panel welded on and blended in but im tired of loosing stuff.i decided im not going to do a full on resto (costs too much money and would take too many years) but i am redoing all electrical and mechanical and painting chassis.picking up a used 1600 dual port this year.plan on cleaning it up powder coat all of the tin and use the 68 air cleaner and fuel pump and generator so it looks near a stock 1500.
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 "red tomatoe" project" beetle Reply with quote

finally working on her again.pushed it outside to clean it up from dust.put the stock beam and dropped spindles on it.decided im going go type4 but make it a sleeper.building a 1911cc.after christmas it is going to get the front 1/4 welded on along with some other body work.doing electrical work by replacing a lot of the factory amp terminals,making some new harnesses for headlights/turns.main goal is to drive it to a show 300 miles away in september

and yes decklid will be painted to match once i get car down to original paint

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: