Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lead Metal work. Anyone in the NE?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Lead Metal work. Anyone in the NE? Reply with quote

I want to use lead instead of bondo on my split and was wondering if anyone up near or in New England could PM me so I could ask some questions. Anyone doen this lately? Can you still get the material easily?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still get leading supplies at places like Eastwood, but most places don't do this. Good panel work and it is not needed. A good bodyman will use body filler often, but rarely more than 1/32" thick.

Leading is often done for custom rooflines and cowls on custom bodies and "fabbed from scratch" panels. And even so, a REAL good panel maker can make anything with a planishing hammer and english wheel to the point that lead is not needed....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evercoats Metal-2-Metal body filler is the 21st Century answer to lead.
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evercoats Metal-2-Metal
Will this give a metal like finish?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't. It is basically body filler with particulate aluminum alloy added to it. And it doesn't feather down (get sanded down to tissue paper thickness) as well as "regular" thickness. I use Evercoat's "Rage" filler, it does.

Again, bodywork, properly done, should not require filler of greater thickness than 1/16', nominally 1/32".

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be going bare metal and at that stage I want a perfect raw metal look. I will be shooting paint later. I need to fill some holes.or low spots below double skinned areas. I need a product I can sand or file and you won't see the difference between that and the sheetmetal.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know of anything that will fit that bill, and if you use filler to fill "holes" you are gauranteed to get bubbling under the (eventual) paint. Holes should be filled wil metal patches or small holes can be filled with a MIG attached to a skilled hand......

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to be able to strip the paint off this entire car then clear it? Drive it as Bare Metal? then the only thing you can go with is lead. You will still see the lead.
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know John. I will weld first but there may be low spots from heat distortion, but Steven is on the right track.
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to do that too! but changed my mind. Theres a picture of a split done like that on the forum somewhere. I had it on my screen saver for a long time. Do you plan on clearing it so it stays shiny or let it go so it looks like a rusty rat rod?
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be shiny until I finish all the bodywork than it will get color. I saw that split. It had ghost flames though.
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't the same car. This car was located overseas. That car with the ghost flames I believe is in Florida and is a '47
crotchsplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: split Reply with quote

yeah, that '47 split in bare metal with flames belongs to Kip in Sarasota, Florida. it is one solid car too, no rust! speaking of which, his big pre-Bug Jam party is tonight, there will be probably 200 cars there with about 10 splits. bonfire, beer, live band, cool vw's, great party.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: lead filler versus bondo Reply with quote

Lead offers better long term adhesion to the steel. Even properly applied, plastic on metal allows moisture to form in between.

IF you can find someone who knows how to do leading, let them do the work.

Just say no to plastic! Very Happy
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: lead filler versus bondo Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Lead offers better long term adhesion to the steel. Even properly applied, plastic on metal allows moisture to form in between.

IF you can find someone who knows how to do leading, let them do the work.

Just say no to plastic! Very Happy

I agree! No matter how good bondo you use you and how thin you aply it, it will show in a matter of time. Bondo is plastic and there will evaporate the some from it a few month and then it "shrinks" under the topcoat giving you edges that show where the bondo is.. I will use lead on my Hebster.
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely disagree. It would be nice to use lead, but bondo is ok too. You have to prep your metal, work it, shrink it, high spot and low spots....whatever. You just can't cave it and pave it. If you apply bondo to "hot" then you will make condensation between the cold metal and hot bondo. I know a few OG body guys that have done both and believe me, there body work don't show after a few years even if they use bondo.
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: times are a changin..... Reply with quote

Ok folks, Brezelwerks best kept secret #38 here....

The debate over plastic vs lead vs metal impregnated fillers has been over awhile now. Alot of the best shops have put both their TIG and MIG welders out to pasture with Steelaloy or Alumaloy (www.alumaloy.com, and don't forget to watch the video demos there to believe it). Much wider range of applications than anything at 5x the ease of any welding since you can apply it with a propane torch. Both alloys melt at about 50% the melt temp of the base metal (steel or aluminum), and either alloy bonds to the base metal stronger than a welded joint.

Now, if your're going with a brushed metal look clear coated keep in mind that either alloy will likely be a shade or two different than the basemetal, but a hell of alot closer than lead would look, or any other filler, so in this case seems like the best solution.

Now, while its a great solution, you still have to grind it, block sand, etc to get the features you want, and each works almost identical to the base metal (which lead and steel WON'T do which is why that is a lost art today). So you still need the right hands to do the finish work, that will never change, but for doing state of the art fine joining or filler work this is it.

Purist welders of course love to speak out against the stuff (as you would suspect their jobs are in jeopardy), and some other purists absolutely want a steel to steel (MIG or TIG) fix (but even then steel MIG wire isn't the same steel as the stamped steel either). So, its a question today of where you want to draw the line, and nomatter what you do, you will never have a factory original fix, so from there you decide.

Technology is changing everthing today, in fact new body panels on collision work are hung with adhesive now, and even adhesives now are stronger than welds. In fact Volvo and Saab won't allow fixes with adhesives since the bond is so strong it disturbs the car's builit in crumple zone mechanics, so with these cars and a few others, having to use weaker steel welds are required to make joints collapse as designed, so the definition of "welding" is fast changing.

Good luck and have fun.
Gary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No matter how good bondo you use you and how thin you aply it, it will show in a matter of time.

So untrue. ALL body shops use plastic filler, trust me. Even the very best ones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See any bubbling? Over 8000 miles and 6+ years. There is filler all over my oval, virtually every panel, and none of it more than 1/16" thick.

With proper prep and application, and under a good paint, it will not bubble, trust me.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, off course there are exceptions too, Wink but if one does it your self and dont't know what you do there may/will appear spots... Especially if you apply too thick layers at once..

JH, your car is stunninglooking! Cool
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Hebster. That Diamond Green color is very nice on a bright sunny day. It was painted by a friend of mine in 1999 who owns a body shop and has been doing body work for 17 years (he is the one in the pic). He really knows what he is doing. And aside froma few chips, that paint (Spies Hecker Urethane 2 stage) has held up amazingly well.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: